Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentax pancake lens reign ending?

Default Re: Pentax pancake lens reign ending?

That was also the reason i sold the DA40mm F2.8 and bought the FA43mm F1.9
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Personally the only thing going for the pancake lenses is the compact size period. In my book, if one wants a prime setup, large maximum apertures is the way to go, that's probably why for me, after getting over the euphoria of having a pancake lens like the DA 40mm and M 40mm, I began to be more conscious about the f/2.8 limitation and promptly dumped it. I do realize some of you may feel it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it just got no love from me... sorry.
    Conversely, for me, their extremely compact size is the DA Limiteds' key attraction for me.

My all primes set are the pancakes DA21, DA70, M50, FA43 and the heaviest, fattest of all - DA35.

For a bare basics set, I can actually do without the M50 and DA35, strictly speaking.. but the M50 is so cheap and such a good-looker, and the DA35 has the useful marco/all-purpose function.

But yes, I did feel the lack of speed and that's why I got the FA43 (besides its other qualities).

Blog Entries

...... well if a pancake gets too fat and thick then we might just call it a muffin ..........
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    ...... well if a pancake gets too fat and thick then we might just call it a muffin ..........
    OK, so we have the following "muffins":
    DA35
    DA*55

Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

There's the FA31 and FA77 hamburgers too.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Hi Cyrn.. Welcome back again!
    I am not sure if its true but there is a limit as to how much you can bend the light without distortion, hence if the depth of the lens is too shallow, you can't squeeze in the complex optics assembly to achieve a fast ratio. At least that is what I thought. Do you have other literature that says otherwise?
    not quite 1.4 (yet).. but it might be considered "prove of concept" such designs can be possible... especially squeezing 6 elements into a pancake design.

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...sl2/index.html

Adding AF should not be much of an issue if using USM technology. The "motor" is just 2 rings as linked.

http://www.photoscene.com/sw/tour/inside.htm
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12