Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fierce Look

Default Re: Fierce Look

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    From camera phone to DSLR, you are currently going thro a " teething " period, just like someone who use to travel on public transport suddenly get to own a car and self drive.

Subjectively will be...I want to, objectively will be...how to, when to, where to and what to ?

Some example of these problem... (actually it is not a problem, more of a settle down or growing up stage, some get over quickly, others a little bit longer a few may get stuck.) in this forum are like the lion dance post, sad sea, friends etc. All these have good subjective idea in mind, but unable to translate it onto the picture " objectively ".
    Haha... My teeth are growing fast...

I like how you co-relate subjective and objective... Really good stuff!! builds up our mental capacity as an avid photographer. This to me is really important, I am advocating that shots are conceived first in the mind before it is being executed and captured. This is how I list the following attributes in order of most to least importance.
    1. Mental capacity / mind of a photographer
    2. Timing - be at the right place at the right time
    3. Skill - understanding of photography, environment, equipment
    4. equipments

Thanks for the thought provoking comments!!!!

Now its time to focus on taking subjective pictures with an added objective!!!

Glad that you can " chew " and digest all these stuff I'd given.

All have an equal chance in the progress of learning photography, the only difference is the amount of PASSION.
    but of course also have to take into consideration of our/each normal ( hectic ) routine scheduled lifestyle.

For those who really want to see what's the meaning of " teething " period, take a look at the landscape section, posted by liquidsnake, titled ; critique my photos. The TS is experiencing that chew or bite anything that is within reach or comes along.
    Totally lost in the direction of his/her photography.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 9th September 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Glad that you can " chew " and digest all these stuff I'd given.

All have an equal chance in the progress of learning photography, the only difference is the amount of PASSION.
    but of course also have to take into consideration of our/each normal ( hectic ) routine scheduled lifestyle.

For those who really want to see what's the meaning of " teething " period, take a look at the landscape section, posted by liquidsnake, titled ; critique my photos. The TS is experiencing that chew or bite anything that is within reach or comes along.
    Totally lost in the direction of his/her photography.
    Erm... I can't find liquidsnake...

anyway thanks for the advise bro...

It's in...Land/ City scape and Travel.

It's in...Land/ City scape and Travel.
    Thanks bro, found it... Now I see what u were driving at!!

The thought process behind a shoot really makes a difference!!

Is it true that every shoot must have a focus object? can't it just be a general shoot, ie. emphasising on all thats being captured?

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    Thanks pegasus7777777!! you saved me the searching trouble!!
    Cheers..

yes it can...e.g. IC photo, group picture, scenery, landscape, city scape, architecture, interiors, machinery parts and products, etc all these requires general sharpness.

But with other things to follow.

messy background.

cropping isn't going to help, the angle is weird here and when you crop that much, you're bound to lose significant amount of image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    messy background.

cropping isn't going to help, the angle is weird here and when you crop that much, you're bound to lose significant amount of image quality.
    Thanks for your comments bro... It is great for a newbie like me..

Just to help me understand further, what do you actually mean when you say the angle is weird? Care to enlighten a newbie like me... Thanks...

Looking forward to your reply....

yes it can...e.g. IC photo, group picture, scenery, landscape, city scape, architecture, interiors, machinery parts and products, etc all these requires general sharpness.

But with other things to follow.
    Other things?? Like what?? can elaborate further?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by food4thought View Post
    Thanks for your comments bro... It is great for a newbie like me..

Just to help me understand further, what do you actually mean when you say the angle is weird? Care to enlighten a newbie like me... Thanks...

Looking forward to your reply....
    maybe a lower angle is better for this shot, if it is possible.

even for zoo photography (which many consider different from nature photography), a great deal of patience and failed shots are to be expected.

a lower angle would separate the head somewhat from the butt, and make for a more aesthetically pleasing result.

A good picture at least got to have 4 things right : ( disregard whatever the subject matter )

* Compostion
    * Lighting
    * Colour or Tone gradation as in Black n White
    * Exposure

needless to say, your Subject, has got to be accurately focused.

As we go back and look at your picture ; focusing, exposure, lighting - no much problem, except composition, which in the beginning, you wanted a whole bird. But after looking at the eyes, your mind had changed to only want the face....which resulting the " fierce look " title.
    As " look " will always link to " face ", so the legs and other part of the bird will eventually becoming weak point for comments.

If the " Lion King " post use your " Fierce Look " title, would you agree ?
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 13th September 2009 at 04:46 AM.

throw a lot of bricks at the "steamed sea bass " guy, hope he doesn't give me a " firece look ".

Hi, it not really a bad photo to me. I think you got the subject attention. and the color tone is well PP.
    Second that I think a slightly tight crop will make me feel that she is moving toward me and I got no way to ran. And also try your best to hide that ring on the leg of the bird. You don't need to tell me it is a Zoo photo, I can figure it out by looking at it.

A good picture at least got to have 4 things right : ( disregard whatever the subject matter )

* Compostion
    * Lighting
    * Colour or Tone gradation as in Black n White
    * Exposure

needless to say, your Subject, has got to be accurately focused.

As we go back and look at your picture ; focusing, exposure, lighting - no much problem, except composition, which in the beginning, you wanted a whole bird. But after looking at the eyes, your mind had changed to only want the face....which resulting the " fierce look " title.
    As " look " will always link to " face ", so the legs and other part of the bird will eventually becoming weak point for comments.

If the " Lion King " post use your " Fierce Look " title, would you agree ?
    Totally agree!!!
    Hey bro, thanks for the useful comments... You are right, I guess I didn't put in enough thought to relate all the other considerations of the picture to the title.

I guess this is very important since the viewers do not understand the circumstances / emotions / conditions in which the shot was taken. Therefore I think going along that perspective would engage or rather, allow the viewers to relate better to the title and picture!

Thanks for the help.. I learnt and discovered a lot here!!!

throw a lot of bricks at the "steamed sea bass " guy, hope he doesn't give me a " firece look ".
    Haha.. At least no bird is coming after you!!

Quote Originally Posted by dw8888 View Post
    Hi, it not really a bad photo to me. I think you got the subject attention. and the color tone is well PP.
    Second that I think a slightly tight crop will make me feel that she is moving toward me and I got no way to ran. And also try your best to hide that ring on the leg of the bird. You don't need to tell me it is a Zoo photo, I can figure it out by looking at it.
    Haha thanks bro for your encouragement...

Thats true!! the ring was a great give away...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    maybe a lower angle is better for this shot, if it is possible.

even for zoo photography (which many consider different from nature photography), a great deal of patience and failed shots are to be expected.

a lower angle would separate the head somewhat from the butt, and make for a more aesthetically pleasing result.
    Thanks Bro for your explanation!! I can see I have a long way to learn!!! hahah

Great stuff here...

On the same note, I was wondering, is there something against centralized shots? I noticed that many shots posted here have their focus subject a tad off center, either left, right, up or down. Is this an attempt to loosen the image thus making it more natural??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12