Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fierce Look

Default Fierce Look

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Everything and anything that can improve my photography skills

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Hopes to capture the fierce look of the bird with aims t0 impact the viewer

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I was taken hendheld, mid morning in the zoo

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the in your face impact of this picture.

Default Re: Fierce Look

Please Elaborate! U got 24 hours.
    Last edited by Del_CtrlnoAlt; 5th September 2009 at 12:42 PM.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

This shot was taken on a zoo trip, I was walking along the route when I noticed this bird following my tracks from the other side. I stoped and was preparing to take a shoot.

It was one of those sudden moments. The bird turned around and stared me straight in the lens!

I did some minor editing with photoshop to enhance the colour and sharpness..

It was my first photo outing since getting my DSLR..

I welcome and C&C, being a newbie I just want to understand and learn more to improve...

Feel free to drop your C&C... Thanks for viewing...

You can look into those National Geographics pictures for cropping idea.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    You can look into those National Geographics pictures for cropping idea.
    Thanks for the suggestion...

Please feel free to comment... anything about the croping or composition?

Please let me know the settings of the camera. Is it at 150mm, ISO 200, f/6.3, 1/100 sec, etc.? I prefer to zoom in more and show more of the facial expression.

I think for composition the bird is too centered. If you want the whole bird in picture I would zoom out a bit, move the bird slightly to the right. Otherwise, you could zoom in closer to show the expression more, which would be better I think, as you say more "in your face look". As it is now the background is distracting, just my few cents. Anyway, pretty good shot to start. Keep it up.

Also, the bird now is looking down in front. I would wait a split second until the head is up and looking straight at the camera.
    Last edited by lynxiger; 6th September 2009 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by food4thought View Post
    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Everything and anything that can improve my photography skills

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Hopes to capture the fierce look of the bird with aims t0 impact the viewer

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I was taken hendheld, mid morning in the zoo

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like the in your face impact of this picture.

Nothing special and I don't see fierce or anything in this bird.
    No offense.
    E510, E3,E5, EP1,EP3 & OMD EM5

Quote Originally Posted by lynxiger View Post
    Please let me know the settings of the camera. Is it at 150mm, ISO 200, f/6.3, 1/100 sec, etc.? I prefer to zoom in more and show more of the facial expression.

I think for composition the bird is too centered. If you want the whole bird in picture I would zoom out a bit, move the bird slightly to the right. Otherwise, you could zoom in closer to show the expression more, which would be better I think, as you say more "in your face look". As it is now the background is distracting, just my few cents. Anyway, pretty good shot to start. Keep it up.

Also, the bird now is looking down in front. I would wait a split second until the head is up and looking straight at the camera.
    This shot was taken at 250mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/80sec. +/- 0....

When you say the bird is too centered, does it mean it gives a better feel when off-centered? Yes now that you mentioned, the background seems a little distracting..

Thanks for the comments man!!!

Is this a better approach?

Quote Originally Posted by skeletonman View Post
    Nothing special and I don't see fierce or anything in this bird.
    No offense.
    No offence taken bro.. Thanks for your comment! Its all about learning from my every shot...

Thanks for viewing...

Quote Originally Posted by food4thought View Post
    This shot was taken at 250mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/80sec. +/- 0....

When you say the bird is too centered, does it mean it gives a better feel when off-centered? Yes now that you mentioned, the background seems a little distracting..

Thanks for the comments man!!!

Is this a better approach?

Yeah, a little better. I would increase the ISO to 200 - 400, so the shutter speed gets faster. Maybe you can zoom more and up the f-stop to f6.3, if possible? And it's all about timing and wait for your subject to look at the camera, every split second counts. Keep it up.
    Last edited by lynxiger; 6th September 2009 at 08:50 PM.

the background is a little distracting because there's so much of it. the cropped one looks more impactful.
    N.
    Lumix FZ28, Holga 12, Nikon FM10

Quote Originally Posted by lynxiger View Post
    Yeah, a little better. I would increase the ISO to 200 - 400, so the shutter speed gets faster. Maybe you can zoom more and up the f-stop to f6.3, if possible? And it's all about timing and wait for your subject to look at the camera, every split second counts. Keep it up.
    Thanks for the comments bro...

Just to understand, why would it be better to increase the ISO? I thought the higher the ISO the more the noise?? I was told to keep it at 100 if lighting permits... Is this a safe rule of thumb? That was why I always keep my ISO at 100 especially during the day time..

Just want to understand more so that I can improve..

Thanks for the comments man!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruffgaws View Post
    the background is a little distracting because there's so much of it. the cropped one looks more impactful.
    Thanks for the comments man! yes I agree the cropped one looks much better...
    In my original Pic, I was trying to keep the whole bird in the pic.. Guess the advise on the background really helps!

Thanks for viewing!!

Any comments on the colours, exposure and sharpness??

Any advise on how to capture sharp images??

Sounds like you'd up grade from P n S camera to DSLR. Quite good result you got here.
    The picture posted is considered generally good if without forcifully apply the title.
    Was this an after thought when posting ?

Since you are using DSLR now, suggest start learning how to shoot " subjectively " in relation to visualisation.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Sounds like you'd up grade from P n S camera to DSLR. Quite good result you got here.
    The picture posted is considered generally good if without forcifully apply the title.
    Was this an after thought when posting ?

Since you are using DSLR now, suggest start learning how to shoot " subjectively " in relation to visualisation.
    No... Never owned any camera other than my camera phone before this..

Ya, I do agree the title, to many, does not really fit into the image.. I must admit, I didn't really thought about the title... It was the first impression I had (post posting) I had about the pic, thats why I named it Fierce...

Your comment about "Subjectively" really nailed it man!!!

After Getting my DSLR I was shooting like no tomorrow!! up to a point when I sometimes get lost, not knowing what my focus or objective of taking the shoot is...

Great reminder there... really gets me thinking!!

Any comments on how and what I can do to develope a new shooting direction?? I like to capture expressions, but also I like to learn more about different styles of photography...

Amazing what a simple crop can just make the subject matter pop! Now it really does look a bit fierce haha

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyboy View Post
    Amazing what a simple crop can just make the subject matter pop! Now it really does look a bit fierce haha
    Thanks for the encouragement bro!!

There are many really good comments here man!!

Thanks for the suggestion Redmonsoon..

I agree with u that B&W looks better... ur cropping is good too..

From camera phone to DSLR, you are currently going thro a " teething " period, just like someone who use to travel on public transport suddenly get to own a car and self drive.

Subjectively will be...I want to, objectively will be...how to, when to, where to and what to ?

Some example of these problem... (actually it is not a problem, more of a settle down or growing up stage, some get over quickly, others a little bit longer a few may get stuck.) in this forum are like the lion dance post, sad sea, friends etc. All these have good subjective idea in mind, but unable to translate it onto the picture " objectively ".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast