Thread: what if the will is written this way?

Default what if the will is written this way?

under sgp law what would happen with the following case?

- A's parents stays in A's house / apartment and A's is living elsewhere (all living in SGP)
    - A's sibling, B, moves in to stay with the parents
    - B claims he looked after the parents during this period (can be years)
    - The parents sets up will to indicate they want to give the house / apartment to B

Is this will effective since A's the lawful owner of the property?
    Or would the court rule based on the fact that A was not living at the property while the parents did, hence they are the actual occupant and hence considered as de facto owners, hence the will is effective?

If there was no will, can B fight with A for the property occupied by their parents?

Just curious.

Default Re: what if the will is written this way?

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post

- A's parents stays in A's house / apartment and A's is living elsewhere (all living in SGP)
    - The parents sets up will to indicate they want to give the house / apartment to B

Or would the court rule based on the fact that A was not living at the property while the parents did, hence they are the actual occupant and hence considered as de facto owners, hence the will is effective?

If there was no will, can B fight with A for the property occupied by their parents?

Just curious.
    The house, cannot be claimed by B. It's still under A's name. Legally the house does not even belong to A's parents.

GMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja23XX View Post
    The house, cannot be claimed by B. It's still under A's name. Legally the house does not even belong to A's parents.

GMAN
    correct, the name in the title deed is under A's name, the court can't give A's property to B.

where as no Will, A and B will share the estate equally.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    correct, the name in the title deed is under A's name, the court can't give A's property to B.

I don't think so.. If the property is in A's name only, then it is solely A's. Unless it is Tenant-in-common, where the property is A 's name and his parent's name. Then the parent can make a will on who get their share's of the property.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I don't think so.. If the property is in A's name only, then it is solely A's. Unless it is Tenant-in-common, where the property is A 's name and his parent's name. Then the parent can make a will on who get their share's of the property.
    my reply is base on the info give by TS, nothing mention about the parents do own the property

Just curious.
    I guess the parents draft the Will by themselves, a lawyer will tell them this can't be done.
    Last edited by catchlights; 3rd September 2009 at 10:00 AM.

u can't will out a property that's not under ur name.....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

This is misleading. How can A & B share the estate equally since A is the sole owner of the house?

This is misleading. How can A & B share the estate equally since A is the sole owner of the house?
    I have already said, base on TS info, the property does not belong to the parents.

Since when the estate is only limit to the property? can't their parents own something? cash in hand? cash in bank? stock and shares? private company shares?

I have already said, base on TS info, the property does not belong to the parents.

Since when the estate is only limit to the property? can't their parents own something? cash in hand? cash in bank? stock and shares? private company shares?
    Alright, u are refering to the "estate" of the parents. An estate can include other things as well, not necessarily housing.

But the original question was simply about the real estate issue; As the above suggest.

Alright, u are refering to the "estate" of the parents. An estate can include other things as well, not necessarily housing.

But the original question was simply about the real estate issue; As the above suggest.
    is there anything to fight? if the property does not belong to their parents, B has no case at all.

You just reminded me. For HDB, it requires a family nuclues etc. So if the parents are part of this, does it give the parents the right / option to transfer the right (not sure if this is the way to describe) to occupy the HDB flat to B? Intuitively I would expect this is not possible but since I already asked a strange question to start the thread, so let's bring it up here

vince123123
    Guests

1. With will; Answer = No
    2. Without will; Answer still = No.

Just curious.

vince123123
    Guests

From my recollection, if upon death, the beneficiaries of a HDB cannnot form a sufficient nucleus to own it; the flat will have to be sold.

You just reminded me. For HDB, it requires a family nuclues etc. So if the parents are part of this, does it give the parents the right / option to transfer the right (not sure if this is the way to describe) to occupy the HDB flat to B? Intuitively I would expect this is not possible but since I already asked a strange question to start the thread, so let's bring it up here

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    From my recollection, if upon death, the beneficiaries of a HDB cannnot form a sufficient nucleus to own it; the flat will have to be sold.
    i see.