Thread: How can I replicate this shot with simple equipment?

Default How can I replicate this shot with simple equipment?

Friends
    I stumbled onto this shot, and it was superb. Not your usual XMM shot and the simple B/W highlights nature was great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew...sh-photography

It was taken with:
    strobist info: ETTL 4-1 A:B ratio triggered with disabled master 580EX II; A is key 24" square Ezybox, camera right, 580EX II about 45 degrees; B is fill, camera left, 43" shoot through white umbrella, about 90 degrees from center.
    Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

I am not keen on simply using photoshop, which I seldom use to manufacture this shot.

Any ideas?

I have my DSLR, a SB 900, plus some older model TTL flashes for older film based Nikons and I can buy some background material if needed.

Thanks

Pete
    Last edited by petetherock; 2nd September 2009 at 08:27 PM.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: How can I replicate this shot with simple equipment?

if you have a white bedsheet at home, you prob could drap it over a east/west facing window with hard sunlight hitting it to get your white background.. then its a matter of blowing the background and lighting your subject..

A little photoshop is required imo.

Flash from left and right. (and front for fill) angle the right flight abit more. Clone out the entire background since it's OOF anyway. then with levels blow all out all the lighter areas.

All the effects is up to you to achieve.
    If u don't want photoshop, then put 2 flash to fire at a white background to blow them out. Overexpose slightly to get the glow effect.

Just my 2 cents.

1) make person wear white, sit with white background

2) simple matter of using strong directional light and fill in a bit from the other side to achieve this

btw, i don't like the photo, it looks like a floating head, and it is the 7th month...

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Friends
    I stumbled onto this shot, and it was superb. Not your usual XMM shot and the simple B/W highlights nature was great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew...sh-photography

It was taken with:

Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

I am not keen on simply using photoshop, which I seldom use to manufacture this shot.

Any ideas?

I have my DSLR, a SB 900, plus some older model TTL flashes for older film based Nikons and I can buy some background material if needed.

Thanks

Pete
    it is just simply overexposed of the background but keep your subject in correct exposure, just rememer that you need to have good lens, else your image will flare badly.

you can even shoot it without using flash if you understand the principle, just shoot your subject in a back lighting situation and use a large reflector bounce the light back to your subject face.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thank you everyone for the suggestion, I guess all that remains is to try all the techniques - love the bedsheet idea!
    I will try and get a subject next week.
    If there are more ideas, please share them.
    I love portraits and the shot stuck in my mind for the longest time.

Cheers
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

If you're into this, a good start would be to get a reflector, you'll be amazed by what it can do and it's fairly inexpensive. Try the ones that is like 2-in-1 sort with both silver and white reflective surfaces.

Thanks, what is the damage for a simple reflector like?
    Any issues getting 2nd hand?
    I have used some foil before in my younger days.
    Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    If you're into this, a good start would be to get a reflector, you'll be amazed by what it can do and it's fairly inexpensive. Try the ones that is like 2-in-1 sort with both silver and white reflective surfaces.

Blog Entries

get in BUY/SELL they pop up in there for sale quite often at affordable prices

also, google or search 'high key' to understand how images like these are executed

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    1) make person wear white, sit with white background

2) simple matter of using strong directional light and fill in a bit from the other side to achieve this

btw, i don't like the photo, it looks like a floating head, and it is the 7th month...

i think black shirt and black background will be worst.

can see nothing but the chest and head.
    Always a pleasant smile when we look back at our own photos.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Thanks, what is the damage for a simple reflector like?
    Any issues getting 2nd hand?
    I have used some foil before in my younger days.
    You can go buy from Orient Photo or from online like Tagotech or Perly.
    Think a 80cm 5-in-1 reflector is going for about $60.

actually, nothing really technical...

meter the face over expose the background, then if background still got slight remains, just DI off. Can see from the image there is some lasso mark also.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

without PS, raw from camera, I don't know.

With PS, I think it is relatively easy, assuming the original image light angle, ratio ,etc is relatively ok.

"Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

Any ideas?"

Pete:

That is my photo.

You do not need any fancy camera or lighting equipment to create this photo.

You just need to overexpose the background and the subject a bit.

I then converted the orginal to greyscale, adjusted the contrast, exposure and brightness until I liked the result.

FWIW I was going for the floating head look with a frame but you can leave as much of the "body" as you want to create the look you desire.

Here is the un-retouched photo:
    http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...napcontrib.jpg

If the link does not work let me know and I will upload it to Flickr

Cheers,

MJB
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    actually, nothing really technical...

meter the face over expose the background, then if background still got slight remains, just DI off. Can see from the image there is some lasso mark also.

wa-- so observant!
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

Quote Originally Posted by jekyll69 View Post
    wa-- so observant!
    seems like i scored a goal...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Hey MJB

Thanks and welcome to Clubsnap in Singapore!

Your shot is very good and there are many more there which inspires me to try this.

I will grab hold of a friend and this this soon.

As for the reflector, in my younger days I made some myself whilse I was doing weddding shoots, but now, I am glad I can go buy one...

I might around for something I can fold into my small NG bag.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by el mattadore View Post
    "Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

Any ideas?"

Pete:

That is my photo.

You do not need any fancy camera or lighting equipment to create this photo.

You just need to overexpose the background and the subject a bit.

I then converted the orginal to greyscale, adjusted the contrast, exposure and brightness until I liked the result.

FWIW I was going for the floating head look with a frame but you can leave as much of the "body" as you want to create the look you desire.

Here is the un-retouched photo:
    http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...napcontrib.jpg

If the link does not work let me know and I will upload it to Flickr

Cheers,

MJB
    Chicago