Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust on sensors or lens? Pics shown

Default Re: Dust on sensors or lens? Pics shown

I will post a thread against him to warn others if proven the lens is "faulty". Will send the lens to fatigue or NSC first.

I kind of have an uneasy feeling once I paid, he rushed away. Called him 20-30 min later and I even said will be happy to get back $1400 instead $1500, he refused.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Very simple, post a new thread on him. And wait for his response. Either he respond or you warn others against him here. That is as much as you can do and should do.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingtrash View Post
    I will post a thread against him to warn others if proven the lens is "faulty". Will send the lens to fatigue or NSC first.

I kind of have an uneasy feeling once I paid, he rushed away. Called him 20-30 min later and I even said will be happy to get back $1400 instead $1500, he refused.
    Should post his name in CS so that others can avoid/ aware of him next time....not honest...no good no good...spoilt the market!

That is good and reasonable, get facts before you shoot at somebody.

Legally you have accepted "as seen" and the deal is done. It doesn't matter that there's nothing written, it's a contract. Money and item has changed hands, that's it. Dust is not a malfunction of a lens. Also, calling afterwards and negotiating doesn't sound good to me. That's like those people pretending to be student to get things cheaper. Here I can understand the seller to a certain extend in ignoring such calls. You had your chance to examine the item.
    If you can show that lens is faulty, then you might have a chance to ask for reimbursement. But still it goes back to you checking the lens in dim light. You could have spotted it earlier. But since you have paid the price of a new lens for a 2nd hand copy (with maybe some dust) I guess you have to take it as a costly lesson learned. It's easy to point at others, don't forget yourself.
    EOS

With the price , you can buy 1st hand instead of 2nd hand ..

Ok noted. Will learn from the mistake. Just that I has been thinking about this since that day.... Can't seem to get it out of my mind. I will wait for fatigue to help me. If he is too busy, will go to NSC. Maybe have to spend another extra $150-$200 for lens cleaning by NSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post

Legally you have accepted "as seen" and the deal is done. It doesn't matter that there's nothing written, it's a contract. Money and item has changed hands, that's it. Dust is not a malfunction of a lens. Also, calling afterwards and negotiating doesn't sound good to me. That's like those people pretending to be student to get things cheaper. Here I can understand the seller to a certain extend in ignoring such calls. You had your chance to examine the item.
    If you can show that lens is faulty, then you might have a chance to ask for reimbursement. But still it goes back to you checking the lens in dim light. You could have spotted it earlier. But since you have paid the price of a new lens for a 2nd hand copy (with maybe some dust) I guess you have to take it as a costly lesson learned. It's easy to point at others, don't forget yourself.

Brand new nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 cost $2380, quoted by John. That's why go for 2nd hand 10/10 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by melvyn83 View Post

i believe in karma
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

Quote Originally Posted by melvyn83 View Post
    i doubt, a brand new 17-55 2.8 is going around for 2.5K aprox.

http://www.alanphoto.com.sg/pdf/NikonPromoUpdate.pdf

guess if the lens is fine then TS just saved a 1000bucks in this deal...too bad has to spend another 200+ for cleaning.

Lesson for all of us here.
    Nikon D90|Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G|SB400|Nikon 35mm f/1.8G
    BBB:<Some> 70-300mm

Post "a feedback" of your purchase with the named seller, shooting is illegal. .

Let's calculate, plus cleaning, recalibration at NSC what is the total price. Is your final cost stills give you saving. If at 1.5K, will you be able to get a clean copy of the lens with same body condition?

A new copy will cost at least 2.1K online.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Dust in lenses is inevitable. Just get it clean will do. Look for bro Fatigue to get it clean for you at a small cost.
    Hahaha I see alot "look for bro Fatigue", i guess his biz all come from us!
    People promoting for him

point is that right now, the deed is done. there is NO NEED to be comparing prices here still. rubbing salt to the wounded heart. will you all like it when others do tat to you?

either suggest a solution, or not talk at all.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

No need to second guess the seller. I am the one who sold it to him.

I listed the lens as honestly as I could. If you look at my previous sales, I have always listed it as well as I can. You will notice that when I find additional "faults", I will add it in. Case in point is the F5 that I have been trying to sell, if I was dishonest, I would have not mentioned anything about the battery holder; that is because it is unlikely any buyer would take the batteries out and replace it in to test.

Even the 35-70mm that I sold, I had seen an obvious speck of dust and mentioned it in my post. There is no reason why I would not have posted without the dust there if I knew it was there. If it was so obvious, there is no way I could have hidden it.

I even emphasised to the buyer that he should check thoroughly because I do not offer any refunds or warranties. I even suggested that he could test/check the lens in brighter light. Before buying the lens, the buyer checked for about half an hour before making the purchase.

He mentioned that I rushed off, it was simply because I was meeting another buyer for my D2Hs. The D2Hs buyer brought forward the timing and I had to rush back to get the camera. Even then, I did not rush the buyer to purchase the lens.

On my part, I feel that I have done as much as I possibly could. The buyer called me back over an hour later and not the 20 minutes that he mentioned.

It is not just this lens that I do not offer a refund, all the items that I have sold do not have any refunds as many things can happen after a sale of an item.

Met Talkingtrash to check the lens.

Yes, the spots are caused by the lens.
    There are a few (around 5) black spots inside the lens. I suspect it's chipped-off paint from the internals of the lens. Each black spot is about 1/8 the size of a rice grain.

I'm not taking sides here.
    I could say both seller and buyer does not know how to check a lens to miss those spots.
    (I checked the lens at the void deck)

Lessons learned:
    1. Learn how to check a lens: Check the lens under a bright light/ flip the aperture lever to open up the blades/zoom in and out/ check from the back/check from the front glass
    2. Black spots on the lens can affect pictures at small aperture/wide angle
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Met Talkingtrash to check the lens.

Yes, the spots are caused by the lens.
    There are a few (around 5) black spots inside the lens. I suspect it's chipped-off paint from the internals of the lens. Each black spot is about 1/8 the size of a rice grain.

I'm not taking sides here.
    I could say both seller and buyer does not know how to check a lens to miss those spots.
    (I checked the lens at the void deck)

Lessons learned:
    1. Learn how to check a lens: Check the lens under a bright light/ flip the aperture lever to open up the blades/zoom in and out/ check from the back/check from the front glass
    2. Black spots on the lens can affect pictures at small aperture/wide angle

That's hell of a big spot to be in the lens.

Since the sellers has given his side of the story, I would suggest that both the buyer and seller try to reach some compromise. Bearing in mind:

1. Buyer paid and accepted the item - Could have not accepted and call off the deal, if feel uneasy/uncomfortable with item.

2. Seller could have been more careful to check and state the accurate condition of the lens, obviously it is not "close to Mint" as stated.

3. Buyer tried to contact seller very soon after he bought the lens to highlight the discrepancies.

Lastly let this a be a good lesson for all regarding the checking of lens when buying, be it new or used.

I should close this thread in due course
    Last edited by chngpe01; 3rd September 2009 at 11:54 PM.

Yes pls close the thread. I think this thread should be closed too.

Azzurri hanged up my phone again tonight. Regarding the timing, I don't think it is important anymore. To be exact, it is not 20 min and it is not 'over' an hour.

It is exactly 40 MINUTES ONLY.

Timeline

Met at about 4:10pm.
    Check the lens for less than 10 minutes, chit chat with him for 10 minutes. I thought he was a friendly guy.
    Queuing at ATM for at least 5 minutes that day.
    Both of us left the scene at 4:35pm

I called him regarding lens "defect" at 5:15pm, talk to him for a while and he insisted no problem. Azzuri then hanged up.

I thought it was dust too. It is actually "peeling paint" from the inner side of the lens. The "paint" is stuck to the optic. The largest 'paint' measured 2 mm at least.

I only blame myself for this............ for newbies, if possible buy new lens. Or bring along an experience friend. And to avoid Azzurri at all cost.

The link to this infamous advertisement: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=azzurri

Thanks everyone for ur help and advice..................... IT IS IN THE LENS !!!!!! I got the answer.
    Last edited by talkingtrash; 4th September 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes pls close the thread. I think this thread should be closed too.

Azzurri hanged up my phone again tonight. Regarding the timing, I don't think it is important anymore. To be exact, it is not 20 min and it is not 'over' an hour.

It is exactly 40 MINUTES ONLY.

Timeline

Met at about 4:10pm.
    Check the lens for less than 10 minutes, chit chat with him for 10 minutes. I thought he was a friendly guy.
    Queuing at ATM for at least 5 minutes that day.
    Both of us left the scene at 4:35pm

I called him regarding lens "defect" at 5:15pm, talk to him for a while and he insisted no problem. Azzuri then hanged up.

I thought it was dust too. It is actually "peeling paint" from the inner side of the lens. The "paint" is stuck to the optic. The largest 'paint' measured 2 mm at least.

I only blame myself for this............ for newbies, if possible buy new lens. Or bring along an experience friend. And to avoid Azzurri at all cost.

The link to this infamous advertisement: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=azzurri

Thanks everyone for ur help and advice..................... IT IS IN THE LENS !!!!!! I got the answer.
    Just take it as lesson learnt and go shooting and enjoy the lens. It is a great lens. Leave the baggage behind. Members can see and judge for themselves who to deal and not to deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12