Thread: Colourizing B & W photos?

Default Colourizing B & W photos?

Hi,

This is my first attempt at colourizing a B&W photo using PS.

Please comment and share your experience.

Thanks!

Roy

Before: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After:

By the way the photo is 35 years old, and nobody remembered the actual colours of the baby's clothes, so I picked the colours myself.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Pretty well done, I must say. Multiple masked layers of colourisation, yes?

You looked EXACTLY like Keven!

If you want a more nostaligic look, can try desaturating the colours a bit, for that "hand coloured" look.

The colour of the wood should be a bit darker. Rosewood, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Pretty well done, I must say. Multiple masked layers of colourisation, yes?

You looked EXACTLY like Keven!

If you want a more nostaligic look, can try desaturating the colours a bit, for that "hand coloured" look.

The colour of the wood should be a bit darker. Rosewood, you know...
    Thanks, SS.

I simple used the lasso to select different portions of the picture and then use Image>Adjust>Hue/Saturation with the "Colourize" option checked to adjust the colour, saturation and lightness.

Looking back I should have placed each adjustment in a separate layer so that I can easily tweak the colours later.

One of the key to using the lasso is to feather each selection (5 pixels) before changing the colours. That way the boundaries between each region remain natural.

I think I will try to do the whole thing over when I have the time.

By the way the baby in the picture is not me. It is my wife when she was 100 days old.

This picture below, I feel, best demonstrates how much they resemble each other:

Every feature on the face is identical, even the slight difference in the size between the left and right eyes are the same!!!
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

wonderful!! I love the colors you put in

if you want, do add a little dosage of dirt on it to make it highly believable...

kinda reminded me of the ACM's recent exhibiton @ the EPSON photosite @ wheelock where they did some PS to their old Nonya/ Paranakan protraits and reproduced on EPSON large format printers

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    wonderful!! I love the colors you put in

if you want, do add a little dosage of dirt on it to make it highly believable...

kinda reminded me of the ACM's recent exhibiton @ the EPSON photosite @ wheelock where they did some PS to their old Nonya/ Paranakan protraits and reproduced on EPSON large format printers
    Thanks!

Now I am very tempted to bring out more old B&W photos that my dad took to try adding colours.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    One of the key to using the lasso is to feather each selection (5 pixels) before changing the colours. That way the boundaries between each region remain natural.
    Very well Done, Roy! Was the 5 pixel feather selection applied on this current photo size (350x424)?

Thanks for sharing...
    Last edited by rty; 3rd January 2004 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rty
    Very well Done, Roy! Was the 5 pixel feather selection applied on this current photo size (350x424)?

Thanks for sharing...
    Thanks!

The 5-pixel feather selection was applied on the original resolution of 1600 X 2000.

The picture was scanned from a 1.3 X 1.6 inch B&W print at 1200 ppi.

I basicaly played kiasu and scanned at max resolution the scanner can provide.

Fantastic...i love ur pics....very nicely done...can teach me..