Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: White balance question

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    188

    Default White balance question

    if shooting outdoor use sunlight
    shooting flash use flash
    and so on

    but the result ~~
    I THINK
    auto white balance is better than manual white balance!
    the color is more correct


    why?

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by KCYong View Post
    if shooting outdoor use sunlight
    shooting flash use flash
    and so on

    but the result ~~
    I THINK
    auto white balance is better than manual white balance!
    the color is more correct


    why?
    Coz each scene can differ. The pre-set manual white balance is only for a certain value. Whereas the auto WB can correct and finetune itself to the scene.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3
    canonia
    Guests

    Default Re: White balance question

    or.. maybe u can use RAW, then do some pp after it...

  4. #4

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by KCYong View Post
    auto white balance is better than manual white balance!
    the color is more correct


    why?
    because auto involves a lot more engineering, etc

    preset is stuck, minor adjustments cannot be made accordingly.

    btw, if you want "best wb", custom wb is the way to go, if you know how to do it properly.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: White balance question

    For outdoors i use daylight, regardless with or without flash.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #6

    Default Re: White balance question

    sometimes i wonder if there is WB for film... =X

  7. #7

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by IamJeFfy View Post
    sometimes i wonder if there is WB for film... =X
    yes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: White balance question

    In the good old days we use colour correction filters for film.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: White balance question

    so do u guy adjust wb when hav shots?
    is that a must concerned with u?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by KCYong View Post
    so do u guy adjust wb when hav shots?
    is that a must concerned with u?
    I adjust WB, ISO and aperture according to lighting conditions and shooting situations.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    JE, Singapore
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    because auto involves a lot more engineering, etc

    preset is stuck, minor adjustments cannot be made accordingly.

    btw, if you want "best wb", custom wb is the way to go, if you know how to do it properly.
    Hi, may I know how to so-call, perform custom WB properly? Isn't it just point at a pure white subject in the same area (that you are shooting in) & setting that as the "point of reference"?

  12. #12
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Hi, may I know how to so-call, perform custom WB properly? Isn't it just point at a pure white subject in the same area (that you are shooting in) & setting that as the "point of reference"?
    Note that each angle can differ the settings minutely. Thus getting a correct pre-set may not be an easy task esp if the light is changing.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  13. #13
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Hi, may I know how to so-call, perform custom WB properly? Isn't it just point at a pure white subject in the same area (that you are shooting in) & setting that as the "point of reference"?
    Actually that is also what I would do. I use a collapsible grey/white card and a cheap WB lens cap for this purpose. I know of some experienced photographers who are so good already, they look around and simply either set custom white balance K temperature, or use the WB shift on the menu to adjust. I have seen one of two of these old birds doing that and honestly I cannot even begin to fathom how they do that.
    I guess it boils down to lao-jiao-ness...

  14. #14

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Note that each angle can differ the settings minutely. Thus getting a correct pre-set may not be an easy task esp if the light is changing.
    yes.. he got a point
    wat if its like those concert or getai
    the temperature keeps changing
    do experts shoot RAW go home slowly adjust to their liking?
    or just AWB and take it as it is?
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

  15. #15
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll69 View Post
    yes.. he got a point
    wat if its like those concert or getai
    the temperature keeps changing
    do experts shoot RAW go home slowly adjust to their liking?
    or just AWB and take it as it is?
    RAW would be the easiest as there will be a whole load of different colour shining on the subject. Tune accordingly as you convert the RAW file to jpg.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Actually that is also what I would do. I use a collapsible grey/white card and a cheap WB lens cap for this purpose. I know of some experienced photographers who are so good already, they look around and simply either set custom white balance K temperature, or use the WB shift on the menu to adjust. I have seen one of two of these old birds doing that and honestly I cannot even begin to fathom how they do that.
    I guess it boils down to lao-jiao-ness...
    Since you know how to do it, just keep practicing by shooting more. Everyone start from somewhere, as long as you keep trying with patience, you will be better each day. Cheers!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    JE, Singapore
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Actually that is also what I would do. I use a collapsible grey/white card and a cheap WB lens cap for this purpose. I know of some experienced photographers who are so good already, they look around and simply either set custom white balance K temperature, or use the WB shift on the menu to adjust. I have seen one of two of these old birds doing that and honestly I cannot even begin to fathom how they do that.
    I guess it boils down to lao-jiao-ness...
    May I know where to get grey or white card & why some people prefer "grey" cards?

    Yah, those lao jios work super fast...due to insane levels of experience I suppose.

  18. #18
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    May I know where to get grey or white card & why some people prefer "grey" cards?

    Yah, those lao jios work super fast...due to insane levels of experience I suppose.
    I buy mine from the Mass Sales sections on Club snap. Very reasonable price. $10+ for the lens cap and about $20+ for the collapsible canvas grey/white card (circular one that comes with a cover).
    I always use the white part. I am not an expert, and I don't think it would be right for me to talk about the 18% grey card part. Maybe some experienced member would care to share?

  19. #19
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: White balance question

    Quote Originally Posted by 3in1c View Post
    Since you know how to do it, just keep practicing by shooting more. Everyone start from somewhere, as long as you keep trying with patience, you will be better each day. Cheers!
    Yes, certainly I will. Thanks for the encouragement!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    188

    Default Re: White balance question

    thanks all ur help ^^

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •