Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Privacy issues on Street Photography

  1. #1
    Gwenhwyfar
    Guests

    Default Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Hi there, does anyone know anything about privacy issues with regards to street photography in SINGAPORE? If i take a picture of someone/some people and submit my photos for a competition, am I infringing any privacy law?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Under the Stars
    Posts
    2,122

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfar View Post
    Hi there, does anyone know anything about privacy issues with regards to street photography in SINGAPORE? If i take a picture of someone/some people and submit my photos for a competition, am I infringing any privacy law?
    U might be ask for some form of model release depending on the organising committee R&R.

  3. #3
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    There are no privacy laws in Singapore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfar View Post
    Hi there, does anyone know anything about privacy issues with regards to street photography in SINGAPORE? If i take a picture of someone/some people and submit my photos for a competition, am I infringing any privacy law?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    It could also help to read the sticky called "IPOS Links on Copyright - Essential for Photographers to understand their rights " found in the General section.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Well actually privacy laws and/or model releases are quite different concepts of law from that of copyright.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Well actually privacy laws and/or model releases are quite different concepts of law from that of copyright.
    Ah, you do have a good point.

    I remember there was this huge hoo-ha about these pictures of a guy and girl walking in their underwear in the HDB flat. The outrage was not that a photog did a peeping tom trick and took their pictures from a different flat using a telephoto lens, but rather that the couple dared to "expose" themselves like that in their own home...
    Alpha

  7. #7
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Ah wlel that hoo haa is actually neither privacy nor copyright nor model releases :P

    It involved a criminal act of exposing oneself to public view I believe. Not sure if they were charged :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Ah, you do have a good point.

    I remember there was this huge hoo-ha about these pictures of a guy and girl walking in their underwear in the HDB flat. The outrage was not that a photog did a peeping tom trick and took their pictures from a different flat using a telephoto lens, but rather that the couple dared to "expose" themselves like that in their own home...

  8. #8
    Gwenhwyfar
    Guests

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Hi all, thanks. Appreciate the info. I remember reading about asking the photo subject to sign a release form, but what if there are many many subjects in the photo? can't possibly ask all of them to sign right? I think in australia unless it is for commercial purposes, you do not have to ask the subjects to sign a release form, but not sure about Singapore. Anyone knows?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfar View Post
    Hi all, thanks. Appreciate the info. I remember reading about asking the photo subject to sign a release form, but what if there are many many subjects in the photo? can't possibly ask all of them to sign right? I think in australia unless it is for commercial purposes, you do not have to ask the subjects to sign a release form, but not sure about Singapore. Anyone knows?
    not in Singapore.

    these 2 links will help, it apply in Singapore :


    http://www.ipos.gov.sg/leftNav/cop/About+Copyright.htm

    http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/N...15-148535.html

    some people said these are very grey, but in law , it is either black or white.
    Last edited by ninelives; 3rd September 2009 at 12:21 AM.
    Objection !!!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    not in Singapore.

    these 2 links will help, it apply in Singapore :


    http://www.ipos.gov.sg/leftNav/cop/About+Copyright.htm

    http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/N...15-148535.html

    some people said these are very grey, but in law , it is either black or white.
    i heard if they dun like it
    you have to withdraw or remove
    other than that no issues
    Canon EOS 500D|BG-E5|18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit| 50mm f/1.8 II | 17-40mm f/4L | 580EXII
    HOLGA GCFN 120

  11. #11
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    Withdraw or remove what? You don't have to delete your photos or stop shooting if that is what you are asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll69 View Post
    i heard if they dun like it
    you have to withdraw or remove
    other than that no issues

  12. #12

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    how about those shops in malls? there are many shops that display "no photography" signs. if i am outside the shop (at the aisle), and I take pictures of the merchandise, is there a case against me? does the shop own the aisle in front of the shop?

  13. #13
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Privacy issues on Street Photography

    The shop cannot stop you if you are outside his shop.

    If you are outside his shop and on a public road (ie shophouse type of shop); he 100% cannnot stop you.

    If you are outside his shop and on an aisle (ie its a shopping centre); the shop owner can then ask the building owner to evict you, since the aisle belongs to the building owner and not liklely to fall under the shop's lease (which is why most shop leases don't allow you to put things outside the shop; although most landlord close one eye).

    Whatever the case, the most they can do is to kick you out; they cannot ask you to delete or surrender your cam.

    Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    how about those shops in malls? there are many shops that display "no photography" signs. if i am outside the shop (at the aisle), and I take pictures of the merchandise, is there a case against me? does the shop own the aisle in front of the shop?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •