Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B747 Engine

Default Re: B747 Engine

Quote Originally Posted by tyzts View Post
    Agree RR makes good engines

But not always. About 10 years back I was on a CX flight when one of the engines stalled about 30 mins into the flight. The aircraft had to turn back for an unscheduled landing at the originating airfield. If I recall, it was an Airbus 320 fitted with an RR Trent engine, the model of which I can't recall. About a month later, same thing happen on another CX A320 flight. This time one engine flamed out.
    Cathay pacific doesnt have a320. Only a330 if you said wrongly?

Or the flight is CX**** with sharecode with dragonair?
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

Agree RR makes good engines

But not always. About 10 years back I was on a CX flight when one of the engines stalled about 30 mins into the flight. The aircraft had to turn back for an unscheduled landing at the originating airfield. If I recall, it was an Airbus 320 fitted with an RR Trent engine, the model of which I can't recall. About a month later, same thing happen on another CX A320 flight. This time one engine flamed out.
    Think I will freak out if I encounter that...

I believe CX does not have A320.

I do remember they have B777-300/-200, B747-400, A340 & A330. I think there was a few B747 freighters as well.

Am from the Aviation industry as well, one of my favorite engines is still the GE90
    Last edited by Royale With Cheese; 5th September 2009 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post

I checked: you are absolutely right. I stand corrected. Here's a quote from the news report in the South China Morning post of 7 July 2009:

" A passenger on the troubled Airbus A330's first problem flight - to Singapore last Wednesday - said he heard a loud bang about 20 minutes after take-off.
    The tail started swing and the plane turned back to Hong Kong as cabin crew tried to settle panicked passengers ...Cathay says the plane was later checked and given the all-clar to fly again. Three days later, on a flight between Jakarta and Singapore ... the engine surged again and flames spewed from the wing ..."

I think the passenger over-dramatized it a bit. I don't recall a loud bang, more like a loud thud, like something heavy dropping on concrete, I thought it was luggage. And the cabin was quite calm. Meal service was interrupted when it happened. Remember the stewardesses pushing the carts back to the galley half-way through serving dinner and I didn't realize the problem until the captain came on the PA and said something to the effect that one engine stalled, but no worries, he managed to re-start it, but as a precaution, he was turning back to HKIA ... where we landed with the fire-engines waiting for us on the taxiway!

When we got off, we were whisked through the transit area and right onto another A330 with the exact same configuration as if nothing extraordinary had happened. Didn't even need to change boarding pass, just went back to the same seat number.

Oops, typo, should have been South China Morning Post of 7 July 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    I believe CX does not have A320.

I do remember they have B777-300/-200, B747-400, A340 & A330. I think there was a few B747 freighters as well.

Am from the Aviation industry as well, one of my favorite engines is still the GE90
    Yep, you're right. See post above.

GE90 - This is a marvel, the sheer size, a B737 fuselage can fit in right? Is it still the biggest jet engine ever?

Quote Originally Posted by sonyboy View Post

I checked: you are absolutely right. I stand corrected. Here's a quote from the news report in the South China Morning post of 7 July 2009:

" A passenger on the troubled Airbus A330's first problem flight - to Singapore last Wednesday - said he heard a loud bang about 20 minutes after take-off.
    The tail started swing and the plane turned back to Hong Kong as cabin crew tried to settle panicked passengers ...Cathay says the plane was later checked and given the all-clar to fly again. Three days later, on a flight between Jakarta and Singapore ... the engine surged again and flames spewed from the wing ..."

I think the passenger over-dramatized it a bit. I don't recall a loud bang, more like a loud thud, like something heavy dropping on concrete, I thought it was luggage. And the cabin was quite calm. Meal service was interrupted when it happened. Remember the stewardesses pushing the carts back to the galley half-way through serving dinner and I didn't realize the problem until the captain came on the PA and said something to the effect that one engine stalled, but no worries, he managed to re-start it, but as a precaution, he was turning back to HKIA ... where we landed with the fire-engines waiting for us on the taxiway!

When we got off, we were whisked through the transit area and right onto another A330 with the exact same configuration as if nothing extraordinary had happened. Didn't even need to change boarding pass, just went back to the same seat number.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. Don't know why the photo strikes a chord in me. Maybe I'm just nuts about plane engines. But looks like everyone else doesn't feel the same about the photo

Hmm ... I'm curious what everyone thinks about William Eggleston's green shower photo linked above. Why is it considered a masterpiece fit for a museum? It's just a photo of a somewhat dirty shower no? And lighting quite bad, flashlight too obviously reflected on the tiled wall? I can't quite figure out when a still life photo is considered "artistic" and when it is just an unremarkable "record shot"...Am seriously puzzled...
    Yes, I share your same sentiment, it also appears to me, like an impromptu pic taken by a P n S camera with a very weak flash.
    There are/were situation whereby the works is/was done by an acclaimed master, without second doubt, it will be hail as masterpiece even though it could be just a reference pic by the master him/her self.

So, make yourself a master first and whatever you do will eventually be term... works by master....or masterpiece of so and so.

GE90 - This is a marvel, the sheer size, a B737 fuselage can fit in right? Is it still the biggest jet engine ever?
    Specifically the GE90-115B high-bypass turbofan still holds the record for the world's largest aircraft engine and also the most powerful. Though the diameter of the ducted fun is still slightly smaller than the cabin width of a B737.

Airliners.Net, Boeing 747-121(A/SF). Registration No. N747GE (C/N. 19651, L/N. 25).
    Photo ID No. 0313479 By Je89 W.

PW JT9D-7A mounted as engine #01 and a GE90-11B mounted as engine #02 on the General Electric B741 (N747GE) engine test-bed.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Not to crash or derail this thread in anyway but since we're on the topic of aircraft engines, I would like to take the opportunity to share this picture that even I as a aircraft engineer will probably never ever get to witness.

In-flight thrust reversal deployment of a Rolls-Royce RB211-524 series high-bypass turbofan.

To: TS.
    Let me know if you want this post to be taken down.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Reverse thrust in flight?? wait the plane stalled how?

I heard that once at Changi got one airplane requested reverse thrust because due to some political/religion conflict issues (that happens far far away) the ground crew refused to push that country's plane out to the runway from the passenger terminal. Althou the request was in the end rejected I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    In-flight thrust reversal deployment of a Rolls-Royce RB211-524 series high-bypass turbofan.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Reverse thrust in flight?? wait the plane stalled how?
    The in-flight thrust reversal deployment of the Rolls-Royce RB211-22 series (not a RB211-524 series as previously mentioned due to a confusion and typo on my part) high-bypass turbofan during a flight test is conducted to certified the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar as being capable of sustaining flight (and not stalling) in the inadvertent event of a single engine in-flight thrust reversal deployment.

Military strategic and tactical airlifter like the C5 Galaxy, C17 Globemaster III, etc. etc. are also capable of in-flight thrust reversal deployment in order to sustain an extremely high rate of descent (AKA sink rate) during combat operations or when conducting a emergency breakaway manoeuvre.

I heard that once at Changi got one airplane requested reverse thrust because due to some political/religion conflict issues (that happens far far away) the ground crew refused to push that country's plane out to the runway from the passenger terminal. Althou the request was in the end rejected I guess..
    Err...??? I have absolutely no idea what you had meant in the above quoted post, care to clarify your statement?
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 5th September 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Oh, I got what you meant.

Pushback or reverse taxiing from a terminal gate utilising the thrust reversal of the aircraft engines is known as powerback and have to be approved by both aircraft manufacturers and the local aviation authority for the few aircraft models capable of doing so.

Airliners.Net, DC-9-32 (Registration No. N605NW (C/N. 47223, L/N. 300)).
    Photo ID No. 0975772 By Damon Marcus Lewis.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 5th September 2009 at 07:28 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Not to crash or derail this thread in anyway but since we're on the topic of aircraft engines, I would like to take the opportunity to share this picture that even I as a aircraft engineer will probably never ever get to witness.

To: TS.
    Let me know if you want this post to be taken down.
    No problem

Sorry cant tell its an airplane engine

cool. I was expecting more but after reflecting, i think its interesting to see the behind of the scene of an engine that works for hours without failing! Thanks for sharing.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12