Thread: Protecting ur gear from moisture when travelling?

Default Protecting ur gear from moisture when travelling?

Hi

For those of you who travel with your photographic gear do you bring along some silica gel or other means to keep your gear dry? Or you do nothing since most trips are short and you can put the gear back in dry boxes when you returen home.

I am into my last day of my 6-day trip in a humid environment and I only started to use some drying agent (Thirsty Hippo) in my camera bag 2 days ago. I notice that the drying agent packets has since collected quite a bit of liquid (the drying agent I used is not silica gel but in powder form which turns into gel when it collects moisture).

Thanks.

FM

You can use something porous (eg some of those handphone holders) to hold your drying agent and then put it together with your equipment in a ziplock bag every night.

to hold silicon gel, use ladies stockings and tie it up. Ziplocs is an economical option if u don't want to spend $$ on those travel dry case

Hi Leadwe, Canturn

Thanks for the advice. Will certainly bring a few ziplock bags and silica gel in stocking for my future trips.

FM

Quote Originally Posted by Leongfm
    Hi

For those of you who travel with your photographic gear do you bring along some silica gel or other means to keep your gear dry? Or you do nothing since most trips are short and you can put the gear back in dry boxes when you returen home.

I am into my last day of my 6-day trip in a humid environment and I only started to use some drying agent (Thirsty Hippo) in my camera bag 2 days ago. I notice that the drying agent packets has since collected quite a bit of liquid (the drying agent I used is not silica gel but in powder form which turns into gel when it collects moisture).

Thanks.

FM
    I never do. And never had a problem. Of course most of my trips are to temperate areas where its rather dry. But even on a 1 week trip to Bangkok, I didn't do this and my equipment were all OK. If your hotel has aircon, then it should not be too humid anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Leongfm
    Hi

FM

funcus will not grow if you are moving around with your equipments. it will grow if you dump it at a humid place without moving, using or touching it for a prolong period of time( 45 days or more).

Just like your printer, if you don't use it for a period of time, it will start to rust. the mechanical part will not able to move. A good example is your watch, if you wear it everyday, the stainless steel will not rust, the learther will not spoilt. But if you put your watch on the table for more than 45 days, you will see it start to rust or the leather is getting harder and sticky.
    Objection !!!

Fungus growth will be impeded when it is exposed to sun rays. So even in humid condition but you shoot often in daylight, it should be OK.

Default so far so good....

Hieee.....

From my experience and normal usage.....as what ninelives have said.....as long as you use....the cam. No need to worry so much about fungus growth.

So far i have no prob with any fungus problem even though i do not bring any silica gel whatsoever....

rgds,
    Sulhan

or you can use one of those softer film cannisters (eg Kodak), punch a few holes in them and put ur silica beads in them. recycling mah! personally i find Fujifilm cannisters too hard and brittle to punch through, and you get little shards which might scratch ur equip. if you are not careful. i think thirsty hippo abit overkill bah? might over-dry your equip.? at the end of the trip, can re-use the ziplocks to contain your used clothings...recycle recycle!

Default Travelling experience

Hi all,

Just like to share a little of my travelling protection measures.

I have a $12 airtight box bought from the tupperware section of Takashimaya B1, in it goes my 10D + 02 lens + spare batteries + flash + silica gel in stockings. I also put a hygrometer into the box to measure the humidity levels.

Upon arriving at the hotel, I leave the hygrometer in the room to give me a reading and packing the rest of the equipment into my camera bag. In certain countries, the reading on the meter shows even less than 30% so in such instances, I can safely leave the equipment out of the box.

Returned from Seoul recently where I experienced sub-zero temperatures and took my mum's advice well," Use the hair dryer, on it to LOW and blow at your cam and lens about 25cm away to prevent condensation". Long long time ago, bout 20 years at least, she did used to work in a small trading shop along Bras Basah Road more popularly know as CP today. Sometimes, mum really knows better.

I am quite paranoid when it comes to preserving my equipment and taking good care of them. The method I use above has been tried and tested many times on my travel trips. Hope that helps !

Cheers all, Happy New Year and keep shooting in 04 !

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ydanz
    Returned from Seoul recently where I experienced sub-zero temperatures and took my mum's advice well," Use the hair dryer, on it to LOW and blow at your cam and lens about 25cm away to prevent condensation". Long long time ago, bout 20 years at least, she did used to work in a small trading shop along Bras Basah Road more popularly know as CP today. Sometimes, mum really knows better.
    just to verify, you mean, you used a hairdryer when you were about to take out your equipment when you got back to singapore, right? i was reading it as initially reaching the hotel, but that didn't make sense. just to confirm here

I think ydanz was referring to upon reaching the hotel.
    It's sub-zero outside the hotel room, but temp in the hotel room would be much higher due to the heater.
    So, when we move from cold to hot, condensation will happen.

But, another question to ydanz.. how long do we need to blow the lenses and body? will be going to Korea soon so would like to know more.

Just came back from Korea and I think the condensation should not be an issue as humidity is very low. However, certain hotels have humidifier installed, so watch that when stepping into hotels (look at people's glasses..... they fog up.)

[QUOTE=chelsea]I think ydanz was referring to upon reaching the hotel.
    It's sub-zero outside the hotel room, but temp in the hotel room would be much higher due to the heater.
    So, when we move from cold to hot, condensation will happen.

QUOTE]

The simplest solution, and the one that is probably oldest and easiest, is to use a plastic bag. Before stepping into a warm room from the cold outdoors, simply put your camera in the plastic bag ( Ziplocs are good ), squeeze out as much air as you can, and then just tie the bag up tightly.

Leave the camera in the plastic bag till it has reached room temperature. Since the air trapped in the bag is dry "outside" air, condensation will not form on the camera, but will instead form on the outside of the plastic bag.

Simple, and effective.

Default hehehe....this weekend...to korea

Wow.....

So many tips on this stuff hehehhe...

Well....hotel humidifiers aren't that high RH generally. The moisture in lens fog form will eventually evaporate itself. Just like if you are wearing specs. if you come out of aircon bus then it will fog and once it matches the ambient temperature, the fog will go away.

The fog when wiped becomes larger drips hence slows its vaporization (if it does evaporate it normally leave patches of impurities or dust blob).So dont wipe....

So its better to just leave the fog to go away on its own.

Winter in Korea is normally very dry so bringing the cam out does help to "dry " out the "lens moisture".

Have fun travelling and safe trip!!!!

Before i forget......if anyone of you who may want to stow some of your equipment or lens into the chek-in baggage, please be careful when you return to singapore,.......the temperature in the baggage compartment on the lower part of the planes are VERY VERY cold in flight......so when arrive back in singapore......before you remove the stuff from the luggage bag.....let it set to adjust to ambient temp slowly......else you will see immediate fogging.....

rgds,
    me
    Last edited by sulhan; 1st January 2004 at 11:40 PM.

Sehsuan: Yes, I do mean using the hair dryer upon reaching my hotel room.

Chelsea: You are right and the whole procedure took me less than 3 minutes. As long as the condensation goes away and your lenses + body reaches room temperature again. Believe you equipment will turn cold as a chilled can of coke ! Also, before you head there, get a pair of wool gloves (not the thick type otherwise, very clumsy and difficult to operate buttons on your cam)

Speedblade: My glasses didn't fog

chriszzz: Asked my mum about the method you mentioned too but she says hair dryer faster and not so "lehchey".

Sulhan: I still dare not rick checking my all my equipment and gears. Hand carry still the best policy, cabin temperature's more or less fixed at 22-24 degrees and humidity is low. Btw, did you receive my PM about the bounce card?