Thread: F1

Default F1

Hi, I was given a ticket to F1 at grandstand. I would like to know whether the following gear I have can take the speed monster?

A700 + Sigma 50-150 F2.8
    or
    A700 + Sony 70-300G SSM
    or
    Just go and watch will do.

Hope pro here can give some advice.

Default Re: F1

Quote Originally Posted by blurblur View Post
    Hi, I was given a ticket to F1 at grandstand. I would like to know whether the following gear I have can take the speed monster?

A700 + Sigma 50-150 F2.8
    or
    A700 + Sony 70-300G SSM
    or
    Just go and watch will do.

Hope pro here can give some advice.
    I would go with the 70300G. Even if the photos turn out not so good, at least I have tried.

You should be able to get good pictures if you are panning. Last year bro cthep has some awesome pictures with his beercan IIRC.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

I was there last year with an A700. The 50-150 @ 150mm with f/4 will be good, or just the 70-300G. I suggest you learn the prefocus and pan technique, as well as set your drive mode to continuous.
    Alpha

A lot depends on where are you shooting from.

If you're at the pit straight grandstands, then the 300 won't be enough if you want to fill the frame with the car.

hi i have a vip ticket free from Tiger beer. i will have it every year given free. btw this year is my first time there n i going to get a canon 500d kit2. is the camera a good buy + wat setting should i set . like speed iso fp n more

Quote Originally Posted by alvinstep View Post
    hi i have a vip ticket free from Tiger beer. i will have it every year given free. btw this year is my first time there n i going to get a canon 500d kit2. is the camera a good buy + wat setting should i set . like speed iso fp n more
    it may be abit to slow if you're sitting in a grandstand whose light may not be as abundant as the pit grandstand or the connaught drive grandstand.

to have a fast lens will be to your advantage, and the kit lenses are just not fast enough.

maybe a f/2.8 lens will work well, or you could rent one if you do not wish to buy one.

i'd shoot on the qualifying and practice, but not during the main race as i wanna enjoy the race.
    Pentax K-x

i'd say bring both during the practice runs and try them out.

go the next day for the qualifying and take pics with the better one you've gotten during the practice runs.

enjoy the race day with a normal prime to take pics of the crowd + the prev selected lens
    Nikon.
    Nuff said.