Thread: Lens Queries

Default Lens Queries

Hi Guys!
    Just wan to Query some stuff about lens!

Getting a lens for 450D however will like to check if I am right... Lens for potrait shots and landscape (e.g shopping malls, barrage . etc )

for potrait Can i just go for 50MM f1.8 II .. what about landscape ?? will the 18 - 55 be good enuff?

also .. can i been reading ppl say what fast lens... wad it means?

Default Re: Lens Queries

you can use any lens for portraits and landscapes. it's how you use it that matters. there isn't a "specific" focal length that works well.

kit lens can do portraits too. my suggestion is as always, to stick with it and read more first before anyhow BBB (buy buy buy).

for fast lens question, google would have given you this result:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_speed

be less lazy next time, and you will get your answers faster. if they don't matter that much to you, then.. well, they should.

I really do suggest you try to read the newbies guides, they are very helpful for someone with basic questions.

1. Sure, the 50mm works well for portraits. For landscapes, your 18-55 is fine.

2. Fast lens refers to a lens with a large aperture.
    Alpha

so basically any lens out there shld be fast? since most can go up to high aperture?

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    so basically any lens out there shld be fast? since most can go up to high aperture?
    No. Not all lenses are fast. Your kit lens and some other cheaper lenses does not have a max aperture of 2.8 but that doesn't mean that they are not good lenses. Take the 2 decade old Minolta 70-210mm f4 beercan for example. The maximum aperture is at f4 but the pictures taken with this lens are awesome.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    Think you got it reversed, from large aperatures to small (not exhaustive) f1.2, f.1.4, f2.8, f4, ....f22..
    Its not that large "numbers" means large apertures.

Small hole (aperture) = Big f number
    Big hole (aperture) = Small f number

Kit lenses are mostly from f3.5~5.6.