Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Some positive reviews :D

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Yes i have been following all the 828 news.. From whatever reviews that are out on the net so far, most of them were favourable... Of course the noise and CA issues are always brought up. However every review also mentioned that given the price, the 828 is still a very capable camera. If u do not want to be swayed by opinions of others... DON'T visit dpreview's Sony Talk Forum. That is a hotbed of hot flames
    Last edited by Triton; 30th December 2003 at 11:51 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    ... DON'T visit dpreview's Sony Talk Forum. That is a hotbed of hot flames
    ...Don't visit dpreview's Canon EOS-10D/D60/D30 Forum also. Luminous Landscape's review is being torn to shreds there.

  4. #4

    Default

    The author is dismissing the obvious noise and CA problems from the viewpoint that these images will only end up as prints. I guess he didn't consider that people also want digital images for display on computers, cropped or otherwise, in which case, the noise and CA would be problems. Maybe he would avoid some of the fire if he would admit this fact.

  5. #5

  6. #6

    Default

    There is also another on Steve's Digicams......quite a favourable review.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/f828.html

    So hip hip hooray for Sony F828!!!! CA or not!

  7. #7

    Default

    OK...I got this from one of the numerous F828 threads from dpreview....
    Can any current F828 confirm the following "facts"

    The good:
    ++ Better ergonomics / layout of camera
    ++ Better burst mode
    ++ improved hot shoe
    + flash WB
    + improved resolution (not convinced by overall image quality, yet)
    + better movie mode
    ++ CF and Micro Drive support
    + improved Wide angle (that +10mm at tele-end doesn't count..
    + mechanical zoom
    ++ faster focusing (but need more accurate data on this one)
    + better focus point selection
    + improved shutter response
    + improved viewfinder resolution / overall useability
    + program AE shift

    The bad:
    - slower at full zoom (f/2.8 vs f/2.4)
    - reduced sensitivity (and have to use mostly ISO 64).Llonger shutter speeds
    -- more CA than 7x7 (which is already on the strong side)
    - jaggies on diagonal lines
    - noisier at ISO 100 and up
    - can't use conversion lenses (especially tele).Maybe 50mm primes.

    The niggles:
    - changing of AF mode should be button operated,NOT through menus!
    - RAW shortcomings
    - buffer memory doesn't allow recording multiple RAW files
    - buffer memory cannot R/W at the same time. Have to wait for flush.
    - are they going release an upgrade?Are the first cameras flawed?
    - dare I order now?!
    - only 3 step adjustment for Image parameters? Why?!
    - still no 2sec self-timer (for low light photos, for example)

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Habourfront
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inimatad
    OK...I got this from one of the numerous F828 threads from dpreview....
    Can any current F828 confirm the following "facts"

    The good:
    ++ Better ergonomics / layout of camera
    ++ Better burst mode
    ++ improved hot shoe
    + flash WB
    + improved resolution (not convinced by overall image quality, yet)
    + better movie mode
    ++ CF and Micro Drive support
    + improved Wide angle (that +10mm at tele-end doesn't count..
    + mechanical zoom
    ++ faster focusing (but need more accurate data on this one)
    + better focus point selection
    + improved shutter response
    + improved viewfinder resolution / overall useability
    + program AE shift

    The bad:
    - slower at full zoom (f/2.8 vs f/2.4)
    - reduced sensitivity (and have to use mostly ISO 64).Llonger shutter speeds
    -- more CA than 7x7 (which is already on the strong side)
    - jaggies on diagonal lines
    - noisier at ISO 100 and up
    - can't use conversion lenses (especially tele).Maybe 50mm primes.

    The niggles:
    - changing of AF mode should be button operated,NOT through menus!
    - RAW shortcomings
    - buffer memory doesn't allow recording multiple RAW files
    - buffer memory cannot R/W at the same time. Have to wait for flush.
    - are they going release an upgrade?Are the first cameras flawed?
    - dare I order now?!
    - only 3 step adjustment for Image parameters? Why?!
    - still no 2sec self-timer (for low light photos, for example)

    these are really accurate...i am using testing a F828 now..ok..pls take the CA note very seriously.
    Honestly i had very high expectations of this camera...but for the price..you Do not expect pictures with CA..and the CA can get really bad..no joke. and noise is another issue..real noisy.

    well...luckily its not mine LOL

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpitFir3
    these are really accurate...i am using testing a F828 now..ok..pls take the CA note very seriously.
    Honestly i had very high expectations of this camera...but for the price..you Do not expect pictures with CA..and the CA can get really bad..no joke. and noise is another issue..real noisy.
    How bad is the CA really?? Can you share some pictures with us?? From Steves-Digicam review samples, i don't find the CA as bad as some made it to be. Some American users say their 828 doesn't have CA while others said theirs is full of it.. I can live with CA if they are at the level of those found in the F7x7 series. I I also agree that the noise is higher than the 7x7 however it can be easily corrected with NeatImage, Noise Ninja or Grain Surgery. I myself is more concern about the CA problem.. It might be possible that some batches of 828 exhibits more CA than others. I am just wondering whether the Singapore batch is affected.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •