Thread: Dubai

Default Dubai

Hello.

I'm flying off to germany, and i'll be having a 20 hour stopover at dubai...
    i'll reach 12 noon then fly at 8am again.

Wondering if anyone has prior experience shooting at dubai can share.

Cheers~

Default Re: Dubai

Hey dubai? Cool i'm also going to dubai. Their FIRST EVER MRT/METRO line opens the same day i reach. Pretty cool ar!

Also, you can go check out the beaches, and of course not to miss the BIG BIG 7 star hotel at sunset. Slap on a Good 10 stop filter and maybe you can get some nice shots.

Shops close at about 10pm there, but maybe u can go around and check out the night life at dubai. It's a pretty vibrant place, or so i've read.

Personally i won't be taking any tours or w/e so i'll be making my way on foot. so it's going to be an interesting journey.

Ah not to forget u can visit Oman, which is about 90 min ride from dubai and u don't need a visa to enter. Hmm. Dubai also has a nature reserve, which can be good for birding if you decide to lug your bigma around. Otherwise, touring the forts, streetshops and chilling with the food is cool.

Anyway if u didn't do any research, 1 SG$ = 2.55 AUD$

Hope this helps

Weather is still hot in Dubai, reaching 40 degrees and above in the day, so be aware.
    You can check out Dubai Mall the world's biggest shopping mall, with an extremely huge indoor aquarium, right next to the world's tallest building, Burj Dubai. At night there'll be colourful water fountain performance.
    At sunset, you can check out Burj Al Arab, the world's only 7-star hotel by the beach, constructed in a sail shape. I think you can go in but have to pay a few hundred dirhams entrance fee, I can't remember.
    Currency in Dubai is Dirham (AED).

Getting around Dubai maybe a little problematic. Taxis are quite cheap but hard to flag down. You can book a taxi for 12 hours for a few hundred dirhams (around AED500).
    Last edited by Drudkh; 5th September 2009 at 12:14 AM.

Remember to visit the Gold and Spice Souk too.

Check out Mall of Emirates and hang around the taxi stand-cum-valet parking if you wanna see some super cars.

But beware of the weather now, its scorching during these 2 months!

Blog Entries

Been there a few times.... very good for shooting in DUbai itself..... you MIGHT want to try the desert safari tour but its a half day thing that stretches into night

Bur Dubai area and Jemaimah Beach area is quite modern so decide for your self

I love shooting along the Dubai Creek area at Diera side.... alot of Dhows (cargo boats or Singapore equivalent of tongkang ) loading and unloading stuff bound for either Africa or Yemen but mostly across the Gulf to Southern Iran .... the action during the day NEVER stops.

Captains and crew are VERY friendly.......... just PLEASE smile and make small talk.... they are always very curious about non-Arabs, non-Whites and non-Africans .... many times you can ask and will be allowed onto the boats themselves to shoot

Dubai Creek can get very very crowded with lots of boats going up and down coming in and out all day.... they make quite a sight these old traditional watercrafts

At Diera side too.... there are the souks that houses literally thousands of little shops selling anything from spices, waterpipes, clothes to toilet bowls ..... it is an extremely busy area with distinct areas where Iranians , Indians , Africans and even China Chinese set up their businesses (the Chinese there seems mainly into textiles and clothes business and Indians into gold etc etc etc )

There are also small cafes and mosques in these souks .... lots of ordinary people hanging around .... again make conversation and have a kopi there

And the ULTIMATE in my personal opinion.......is to take an arial tour of Dubai in the sky ....either by helicopter, hot air baloon or light single propeller plane. This service is new and from company called Seawings...google it... a few Indian friends working there tried it and were raving about it

Hope you get to spend at least 1 night in Dubai..... the nightlife is crazy .... ha ha photography forum here so sorry... do your own research and discovery. Will just say that the food and drinks are very reasonable

Aaaargghhh.... there is too much to do in Dubai.... just Google Dubai and you will find a whole lot of stuff

p/s dont forget to invest in the legendary Dubai Airport Duty Free Lucky Draw.... they only sell 1000 or so tickets each draw for a chance to win an exotic car and another seperate draw for an exotic motorcycle and ANOTHER seperate draw (I think) for US$1mil. The ticket booklet is a souvenir worth keeping ha ha ha.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Yeah i'm leaving on wednesday, and been SO BUSY preparing stuff for a year's trip. And google search on Dubai gets cluttered with alot of random forum stuff.

Will do more research over the weekend. I have from 1pm noon till 8am next day to experience dubai haha. And i guess i'll be walking all the way. And am on a really tiny budget, but the aerial trip sounds too tempting >.<.

Thanks alot again.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh View Post
    Weather is still hot in Dubai, reaching 40 degrees and above in the day, so be aware.
    You can check out Dubai Mall the world's biggest shopping mall, with an extremely huge indoor aquarium, right next to the world's tallest building, Burj Dubai. At night there'll be colourful water fountain performance.
    At sunset, you can check out Burj Al Arab, the world's only 7-star hotel by the beach, constructed in a sail shape. I think you can go in but have to pay a few hundred dirhams entrance fee, I can't remember.
    Currency in Dubai is Dirham (AED).

Getting around Dubai maybe a little problematic. Taxis are quite cheap but hard to flag down. You can book a taxi for 12 hours for a few hundred dirhams (around AED500).
    You only have to pay for a taxi to get in there, cause if you walk in, the walk to the hotel is really long, i myself had High tea there which was really good, and the obervation deck for photography is really awesome, a pity i was still using pns tho, the High tea costs about US60 before surcharges back there in 2007

Avoid photographing the Arab men and women to avoid unnecessary confrontation. The lebanese, pakistanis, indians and other races are usually ok.

Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    You only have to pay for a taxi to get in there, cause if you walk in, the walk to the hotel is really long, i myself had High tea there which was really good, and the obervation deck for photography is really awesome, a pity i was still using pns tho, the High tea costs about US60 before surcharges back there in 2007
    Not that long actually. I walked from Emirates Mall to Burj Dubai but it was during Christmas season so the weather was nice and cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Been there a few times.... very good for shooting in DUbai itself..... you MIGHT want to try the desert safari tour but its a half day thing that stretches into night

Bur Dubai area and Jemaimah Beach area is quite modern so decide for your self

I love shooting along the Dubai Creek area at Diera side.... alot of Dhows (cargo boats or Singapore equivalent of tongkang ) loading and unloading stuff bound for either Africa or Yemen but mostly across the Gulf to Southern Iran .... the action during the day NEVER stops.

Captains and crew are VERY friendly.......... just PLEASE smile and make small talk.... they are always very curious about non-Arabs, non-Whites and non-Africans .... many times you can ask and will be allowed onto the boats themselves to shoot

Dubai Creek can get very very crowded with lots of boats going up and down coming in and out all day.... they make quite a sight these old traditional watercrafts

At Diera side too.... there are the souks that houses literally thousands of little shops selling anything from spices, waterpipes, clothes to toilet bowls ..... it is an extremely busy area with distinct areas where Iranians , Indians , Africans and even China Chinese set up their businesses (the Chinese there seems mainly into textiles and clothes business and Indians into gold etc etc etc )

There are also small cafes and mosques in these souks .... lots of ordinary people hanging around .... again make conversation and have a kopi there

And the ULTIMATE in my personal opinion.......is to take an arial tour of Dubai in the sky ....either by helicopter, hot air baloon or light single propeller plane. This service is new and from company called Seawings...google it... a few Indian friends working there tried it and were raving about it

Hope you get to spend at least 1 night in Dubai..... the nightlife is crazy .... ha ha photography forum here so sorry... do your own research and discovery. Will just say that the food and drinks are very reasonable

Aaaargghhh.... there is too much to do in Dubai.... just Google Dubai and you will find a whole lot of stuff

p/s dont forget to invest in the legendary Dubai Airport Duty Free Lucky Draw.... they only sell 1000 or so tickets each draw for a chance to win an exotic car and another seperate draw for an exotic motorcycle and ANOTHER seperate draw (I think) for US$1mil. The ticket booklet is a souvenir worth keeping ha ha ha.
    Nice write up Eddie! You're absolutely right!

Since you will be there, why not try to negotiate an extra 1 or 2 nights stay?
    You cannot miss the desert safari, really good stuff and well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by hummer View Post
    Since you will be there, why not try to negotiate an extra 1 or 2 nights stay?
    You cannot miss the desert safari, really good stuff and well worth the money.
    I would not recommend to go for safari during the summer season, hot!

I would not recommend to go for safari during the summer season, hot!
    I had the same fear as you when I went in late June this year. But it was all unfounded lah, you will be in the air conditioned 4WD most of the time and when you reach the dinner area, it is already dark and cool. All up to TS lah, I feel is a MUST DO for any first time visit to Dubai.

FYI, during that time I went, it was 45deg celsius. Free sauna!
    Fear not about sweating profusely, that place is so hot all your perspiration would have evaporated the moment it comes out of your skin!

I had the same fear as you when I went in late June this year. But it was all unfounded lah, you will be in the air conditioned 4WD most of the time and when you reach the dinner area, it is already dark and cool. All up to TS lah, I feel is a MUST DO for any first time visit to Dubai.

Fear not about sweating profusely, that place is so hot all your perspiration would have evaporated the moment it comes out of your skin!
    June isn't near summer yet although temp is just below or around 40. I went for the safari twice, in december 2007 and sept 2008, a big diff in temp even in the night. Maybe it just me, cos I prefer cold night than a warm one!

It is hot and dry, low humidity. You won't perspire but may get a heat stroke if not properly hydrated.

Since yours is a 20hr transit, no point taking the desert Safari tour coz you'll missed the belly dancer, camel rides, BBQ lamp chops.

Just do some sight-seeing and shopping

Blog Entries

Just general advise about the desert safaris

When doing desert safari esp from Nov thru March .... this is weird I know...... bring along something WARM to wear....

Thats because, after storming the sand dunes... the package usually includes an evening dinner at an open desert camp.... campfire, hookas, belly dancers and all.... it gets CHILLY (cold) in the desert at night if you only have a tennis/polo/cotton shirt on and little else

I was caught out like this with only a t-shirt and bermudas.... kept sucking on the hooka and standing next to BBQ fire to try to keep warm

weird huh ?
    Last edited by ed9119; 5th September 2009 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    Just general advise about the desert safaris

When doing desert safari esp from Nov thru March .... this is weird I know...... bring along something WARM to wear....

Thats because, after storming the sand dunes... the package usually includes an evening dinner at an open desert camp.... campfire, hookas, belly dancers and all.... it gets CHILLY (cold) in the desert at night if you only have a tennis/polo/cotton shirt on and little else

I was caught out like this with only a t-shirt and bermudas.... kept sucking on the hooka and standing next to BBQ fire to try to keep warm

weird huh ?
    Haha! I actualy liked that weather a lot!

To add on, take off your shoes and walk in the cool, fine sand! It's a great sensation! During the dinner they will turn off the lights for a good 10-15 minutes or so to watch the stars!

thanks for all the suggestions.

I only got 20 hours, and very limited $$$ so mainly going to the more crowded places and beaches. and see if i can find any good angles. Oh well, my feet will kill me . haha. Cheers again.

Ah and also world's tallest building almost completed too...~~

Not that long actually. I walked from Emirates Mall to Burj Dubai but it was during Christmas season so the weather was nice and cool!
    For me it was during summer thats why