Thread: Spider

Default Spider

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure, Focus, Composition.
    Especially focus. I love this focus because the eyes are sharp, and the small water dropplets (which I never noticed when I saw the spider). I thought the bokeh made the head stand out. But when I show it to my photography teacher, he says its not nice. The whole spider should be sharp. So in macro, what should we try to achieve?
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To be honest, besides achieving good macro work, I don't know how to answer this question.
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    After capturing sun rise, we went on to explore punggol. Then I spotted this spider.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    As per question 1
    Photography Eqpt: Nikon D90 | AFS 24-70 F2.8 | SB800
    Technical Blog

Default Re: Spider

bump 5th Sept 2009
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkai View Post
    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure, Focus, Composition.
    Especially focus. I love this focus because the eyes are sharp, and the small water dropplets (which I never noticed when I saw the spider). I thought the bokeh made the head stand out. But when I show it to my photography teacher, he says its not nice. The whole spider should be sharp. So in macro, what should we try to achieve?
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To be honest, besides achieving good macro work, I don't know how to answer this question.
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    After capturing sun rise, we went on to explore punggol. Then I spotted this spider.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    As per question 1
    No wonder ur teacher dun like, the DOF too shallow. Its probably a lucky shot that your focus is in the eye. Try to get at least the whole head sharp. for 1:1 or 1.5:1 kinda macro shoot.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Will you try to get the body sharp as well? That's what he thinks its nice, the whole spider needs to be sharp, then consider nice...
    Technical Blog

Will you try to get the body sharp as well? That's what he thinks its nice, the whole spider needs to be sharp, then consider nice...
    Well, its good to show what you're trying to do...

For eg, if you're saying you are shooting a spider, then only spider's eye is sharp, then its unacceptable. unless you say, your shot is named, Eye of the Spider. then your shot will work. But you'll need a crop that emphasize that.

Even from this pic, there is a certain degree of handshake in the pic. Its not sharp. Another problem your teacher probably saw.

Thanks!
    Technical Blog

Kit Kai

Was just looking at the Photographer of the year Macro round in the magazine Practical Photography and many of the winners were macro shots where the head was in focus but the body was blurred .

EPY
    Last edited by Expat yorkshire; 8th September 2009 at 12:56 PM.

you will kill yourself trying to get body sharp with dslr unless you have good knowledge of flash and a good flash system.

i think the only way to do this easily without the above is to focus stack.

anyways, you don't need the whole body in focus, but the dof here is really too shallow for comfort, it looks like a bunch of bokeh with spider eyes,.

TS,

The DOF is definitely too shallow to accept and the whole photo isnt sharp.

to have a nice depth of DOF in marco shoot, u need the apeture of F8 and above...
    D90 - Nikkor 18-105mm|Nikkor 50mm f1.8|Tokina 11-16mm f2.8|SB-600
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you will kill yourself trying to get body sharp with dslr unless you have good knowledge of flash and a good flash system.

i think the only way to do this easily without the above is to focus stack.

anyways, you don't need the whole body in focus, but the dof here is really too shallow for comfort, it looks like a bunch of bokeh with spider eyes,.
    lol, focus stack... u think that's inanimate object?

probably for inanimate stuff, ok, can take own sweet time to do focus change with tripod...

Probably a good innovative idea for camera makers to come up with something instead of exposure bracketing, they can have focus bracketing. probably only available in USM or AF-S system since macro users like us only use MF, and in USM or AF-S, they can cut off the manual focusing to enter minute or second touches to the focusing and do bracketing (very off topic here)

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    lol, focus stack... u think that's inanimate object?

probably for inanimate stuff, ok, can take own sweet time to do focus change with tripod...
    spiders can sometimes remain stationary..

anyways, depends on situation what.

spiders can sometimes remain stationary..

anyways, depends on situation what.
    true, but they're just sometimes darn hyperactive... most irritating of all are bees...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    true, but they're just sometimes darn hyperactive... most irritating of all are bees...
    well, i don't shoot many spiders, but jumping ones tend to be a bit more jumpy (pardon the pun).. but sometimes you might catch them semi asleep or something.

if you can focus stack a bee.. it has to be dead. if it is in flight you must be the best draw in singapore to focus stack that.

well, i don't shoot many spiders, but jumping ones tend to be a bit more jumpy (pardon the pun).. but sometimes you might catch them semi asleep or something.

if you can focus stack a bee.. it has to be dead. if it is in flight you must be the best draw in singapore to focus stack that.
    probably have to wait til nikon or canon employ me to be their head of camera development, then i'll focus all funds to macro photography and develop the idea that i've stated above.

Actually I use AF-S lens. But I find it pretty much useless for macro.
    So because I don't use tripod (scared the spider or other insects move away while i set up the tripod), I focus already, then i move in and out and take lots of shots.
    Anyway, I will use a smaller apeature next time.
    Thanks for all the comments!
    Last edited by kitkai; 15th September 2009 at 01:27 PM.
    Technical Blog