Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Help with Pictures

  1. #1

    Default Help with Pictures

    Hi Am a newb and just brought my 500D out for the first time and got this result instead

    Please note that its not my lens that are dirty as i have checked that already.

    Please advise how i can avoid this interms of settings or lighting from environment.

    Taken this from padang ( Most of you probably have guessed )



    Thanks alot

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    And also this one that i really do no know where the blue reflection / light on the top left hand corner come from.



    Thanks alot

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    first and foremost, do not use flash when shooting night landscapes.
    then use a tripod

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Looks like reflected glare from using a cheap UV filter. Try removing it.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Did you visit the Merlion in close proximity prior photographing the Pandang. If yes, tend likelihood your lens got lots of saltwater droplet.

    I agree, using flash may cause flying insect to be visible.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by kajoy View Post
    first and foremost, do not use flash when shooting night landscapes.
    then use a tripod
    Bro,

    Does it mean that the blue relection and funny looking water marks on the pictures are caused by the flash and hand shake? Its was a by the way shoot so did not include the tripod.

    Cheers!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Did you visit the Merlion in close proximity prior photographing the Pandang. If yes, tend likelihood your lens got lots of saltwater droplet.

    I agree, using flash may cause flying insect to be visible.
    Nope, It came from the dry box in to camera bag then first shot out straight from the bag. No where near the sea or merlion.

    Noted on the flash portion. Thanks alot

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Looks like reflected glare from using a cheap UV filter. Try removing it.
    Bro, worst then that. this is the only lens out of my 3 lens that i have that is WITHOUT a UV filter. Coming to think of it, could it be the cause?

    Thanks alot

  9. #9

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    Bro,

    Does it mean that the blue relection and funny looking water marks on the pictures are caused by the flash and hand shake? Its was a by the way shoot so did not include the tripod.

    Cheers!
    No. Please see my previous post. The blue lights are glare, most likely caused by a cheap UV filter. If you'll notice, the blue blobs are in the exact opposite corner as the bright lights at the padang.
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    Bro, worst then that. this is the only lens out of my 3 lens that i have that is WITHOUT a UV filter. Coming to think of it, could it be the cause?

    Thanks alot
    Ah, then it really might be the lens itself! Some lenses, especially the cheap ones, do not have a lot of anti-glare coatings.
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Ah, then it really might be the lens itself! Some lenses, especially the cheap ones, do not have a lot of anti-glare coatings.
    OH okie so i guess i should get another UV filter for this lens then? Its the original kit lens btw. They bundled with a free filter but i used in on the 55-250 instead ( Cause i additional paid for that so to me, its the more expensive one so protect that first hehe )

    Thanks alot for the advise bro...

    Cheers!

  12. #12
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Ur lens got special effect 1.. how much u willing to let go?
    like they said, prob the lens or filter. Last I shot @ a studio, I had some rather bad vignette on 1 side, realised I forgot to take off my lens hood (shadow). So do take note and remove the cause

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    OH okie so i guess i should get another UV filter for this lens then? Its the original kit lens btw. They bundled with a free filter but i used in on the 55-250 instead ( Cause i additional paid for that so to me, its the more expensive one so protect that first hehe )

    Thanks alot for the advise bro...

    Cheers!
    No, a filter will make it worse.
    Alpha

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    I believe the first image is really because your lens is dirty, even though you might not see the dust/dirt on it. Use a proper microfibre cloth to clean your lens well; even though it may be new, doesn't mean it's definitely clean. And I agree with not using flash for the abovementioned reasons, and also because it lights up the dirt on your lens.

    As for the glare in the 2nd picture, just avoid shooting into strong light with that kit lens. In this particular case, since the glare is on a plain background, it's easy to remove it by cloning it out. If there was detail where the glare is, it'd be a ruined shot, unless u intended for it to be like that. And yeah, adding a filter will only make it worse. But you can still do that as a form of protection... =)
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Ur lens got special effect 1.. how much u willing to let go?
    like they said, prob the lens or filter. Last I shot @ a studio, I had some rather bad vignette on 1 side, realised I forgot to take off my lens hood (shadow). So do take note and remove the cause
    You can have it for a$100 with out any filters. Hahaha.

    Well are those called vignette on my pictures? Will take note of that but i guess i'll have to go buy a filter first and probably a hood later. Can i just buy a hood and use them for my different lens or do i have to purchase 1 for each lens?

    Thanks alot

  16. #16

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    You can have it for a$100 with out any filters. Hahaha.

    Well are those called vignette on my pictures? Will take note of that but i guess i'll have to go buy a filter first and probably a hood later. Can i just buy a hood and use them for my different lens or do i have to purchase 1 for each lens?

    Thanks alot
    Yours is not known as vignette, vignette means having dark corners in your photos.
    Yours is known as ghosting.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    [QUOTE=karnage;5400236]I believe the first image is really because your lens is dirty, even though you might not see the dust/dirt on it. Use a proper microfibre cloth to clean your lens well; even though it may be new, doesn't mean it's definitely clean. And I agree with not using flash for the abovementioned reasons, and also because it lights up the dirt on your lens.QUOTE]

    Point taken bro, i did take about another 20 to 30 shot on my way to suntec and in suntec after i met up with my friends With and without flash, bright and dark lighting but i have been thru those pictures but they do not have such " Dirty Lens effect" On them after that so i'll still take your advise on cleaning those lens again and hope i do not have those problems anymore heheh.

    Thanks alot for the advise bro.

    Cheers!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    The first image it's either your lens/filter is dirty OR you are shooting flash under a bit of foggy enviroment.

    The 2nd image the blue sparks are the reflections of the lights in the right bottom corner. Just remove the filter and shoot.

  19. #19
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoEyeJS View Post
    The first image it's either your lens/filter is dirty OR you are shooting flash under a bit of foggy enviroment.

    The 2nd image the blue sparks are the reflections of the lights in the right bottom corner. Just remove the filter and shoot.
    Did you read the thread? Noticed that TS has not used any filter?
    EOS

  20. #20
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Help with Pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    Will take note of that but i guess i'll have to go buy a filter first and probably a hood later. Can i just buy a hood and use them for my different lens or do i have to purchase 1 for each lens?
    As mentioned by Rashkae: no point getting any filter, your lens already causes glare. A cheap filter will only bring in more of it, no expensive filter will remove the glare from your lens. These are reflections at the surface of the various glass elements inside the lens. You cannot 'cure' this with external filters.
    Lens hoods are either dedicated for each lens (genuine hoods from lens manufacturer, using bayonet mounting, usually petal-shaped) or you can use 3rd party lens that are screwed on the filter thread. Genuine hoods are not cheap but the petal shape is best. Hoya has some round rubber hoods that can be adjusted to the focal length to avoid vignetting.
    EOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •