Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 128

Thread: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

  1. #81
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    just be polite and subtle when giving your personal opinions .....

    Instead of 'this pic sucks' .... you can always say things like 'very cute/hot/sizzling model' (in-between-the-lines.... 'the photography needs improvement and Thank God for the model who "saved" the image') ...... but then, jokes aside..... who learns anything from comments like this...? I was guilty of senseless comments like this in the past and even sometimes nowadays ... learning how to correct myself too .

    I have quoted this elswhere in the forum but thought I'd share it here again .... from PM member Brian's rant a few years back


    "People say 'beautiful', but it's not because the photograph is well-executed or has any creative or artistic value but because the subject itself is beautiful.

    In otherwords, take a snapshot of any sunset anywhere in the world and no one will say 'this is such crap' because sunsets are beautiful. If a person is even slightly technically competent or is using a camera in 'P' mode then this kind of picture is simple to get and doesn't hurt the photogs face to show friends or post for critique (unless there are honest *ssh*les like Ted & I around ).

    The real danger is that the photographer will actually belive that the photograph itself is beautiful, not the subject. Then he/she will cease the learning process...and spend the rest of their lives in the safe 'zone' that they've established churning out nothing but crappy images of beautiful subjects.

    The ones that know the difference between a beautifully executed photograph and a beautiful subject are the ones that excel"


    so yes, do critique for both your learning and share your points of views with others..... and if an image does not work for you despite everyone else singing praises.... state it.... and state why....

    .......saying it diplomatically and constructively helps ............

    p/s because its only your view.... your suggestion..... it cannot and MUST not be imposed (Eg 'you MUST xxxx and xxxxx or die die have to xxxxx')

    good luck all !
    Last edited by ed9119; 31st August 2009 at 06:33 PM.

  2. #82

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    just be polite and subtle when giving your personal opinions .....

    Instead of 'this pic sucks' .... you can always say things like 'very cute/hot/sizzling model' (in-between-the-lines.... 'the photography needs improvement and Thank God for the model who "saved" the image') ...... but then, jokes aside..... who learns anything from comments like this...? I was guilty of senseless comments like this in the past and even sometimes nowadays ... learning how to correct myself too .

    I have quoted this elswhere in the forum but thought I'd share it here again .... from PM member Brian's rant a few years back


    "People say 'beautiful', but it's not because the photograph is well-executed or has any creative or artistic value but because the subject itself is beautiful.

    In otherwords, take a snapshot of any sunset anywhere in the world and no one will say 'this is such crap' because sunsets are beautiful. If a person is even slightly technically competent or is using a camera in 'P' mode then this kind of picture is simple to get and doesn't hurt the photogs face to show friends or post for critique (unless there are honest *ssh*les like Ted & I around ).

    The real danger is that the photographer will actually belive that the photograph itself is beautiful, not the subject. Then he/she will cease the learning process...and spend the rest of their lives in the safe 'zone' that they've established churning out nothing but crappy images of beautiful subjects.

    The ones that know the difference between a beautifully executed photograph and a beautiful subject are the ones that excel"


    so yes, do critique for both your learning and share your points of views with others..... and if an image does not work for you despite everyone else singing praises.... state it.... and state why....

    .......saying it diplomatically and constructively helps ............

    p/s because its only your view.... your suggestion..... it cannot and MUST not be imposed (Eg 'you MUST xxxx and xxxxx or die die have to xxxxx')

    good luck all !


    Eddie!!! Just happen to browse your daughter pics!
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  3. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Err.. use what search terms ar? Just post some link more direct lah.. or PM also can.. hehe..

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    Good any examples to to show or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    U saw it liao wat... still ask... besides that, alot more... go search lor...

    Noticed a lot of "very nice" comments too.. but cannot figure out what is nice also.. maybe different way of viewing things..

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Maybe they are too pampered with nice comments given by their friends.....

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    /* no */

    // no

    -- no

    #no

    REM NO

  5. #85

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Not everyone can take criticism. Not everyone can deliver constructive criticism. This is one complicated issue to resolve. The only practical solution i can think of is to try and establish a culture where people who desire no comments can indicate at their thread title "Comments Not Necessary or CNN for short or we can have a special smiley to indicate that the poster does not require comments. This way, members know that the TS does not welcome constructive criticism - but i am sure "browsers" who wants to leave encouraging remarks can do so and i am sure the TS does not mind such comments.

    Threads that have no "indicators" will be deemed to welcome constructive comments. Serious photographers wanting feedback will now get the attention they deserve and members who want to give guidance and comments can focus on those wanting constructive comments and not spend time browsing through the threads that dont want comments.

    Over time, the men will be separated from the boys so to speak. In some ways, this is like sorting the apples from the oranges and people who dip into each barrel will know which barrel they are getting into. You can get into the wrong barrel the first few times but TS and commentators alike will eventually learn the protocol of each barrel
    Last edited by zero o; 31st August 2009 at 11:05 PM.

  6. #86
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    ....there IS the 'torture chamber' called Critique Corner in Photo Galleries section.... people generally come out 'seeing' better after a few rounds

  7. #87

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    So why insist on making them learn?
    so if you see someone spining towards imminent destruction, you assume that they want to destroy themselves?

    often it is the other way round. it is also only human to want to be optimistic about the direction others are heading towards.

  8. #88
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    so if you see someone spining towards imminent destruction, you assume that they want to destroy themselves?

    often it is the other way round. it is also only human to want to be optimistic about the direction others are heading towards.
    But some of them just never learn......or they don't want to learn......prefer to live in their own ideology world.....

    Many time is about self-help........if not, every comments that we give is just nag and rant to them.

  9. #89

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    If one can take the position of a recipient for the same comments one gave and accept it , I am sure one will not get strong rebuttal. If it happens ,it simply means lack of communication skill. Both parties need serious upgrade; one photograhy skill and the other social skill.

  10. #90
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,081

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...



    "Only hear the good thing" filter
    Last edited by jtsky; 1st September 2009 at 09:38 AM.

  11. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...


  12. #92
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    give option when starting thread

    option called: NICE COMMENTS FILTER

    then anything and everything posted in the thread automatically becomes post that says "very nice pictures! " tada, problem solved.

    pls make me special member to recognise my wonderful workable suggestion. like that the people who give not so good comments won't bother to comment.. those who anyhow give thumbs up will not mind posting..
    A comment filter would be useful BUT don't have one which STOMP (Singapore Seen section) uses..
    A stupid filter which even filter off the word "lucky" due to the "*uck" word..

  13. #93
    Member bowwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In my own private Idaho.
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    but then i'll miss comments like:

    "PRO!"
    ""
    "NICE LENS!!"
    "GOOD CAPTURE!!!"

    hee.....
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

  14. #94

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    but then i'll miss comments like:

    "PRO!"
    ""
    "NICE LENS!!"
    "GOOD CAPTURE!!!"

    hee.....
    Not to mention:

    "chio"
    "nose bleed"
    "pretty xmm"
    "what camera/lens/setting you using/shooting"
    "Pro!"


  15. #95
    Member bowwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In my own private Idaho.
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    Not to mention:

    "chio"
    "nose bleed"
    "pretty xmm"
    "what camera/lens/setting you using/shooting"
    "Pro!"

    oh ya!! who can ever forget "NOSE BLEED"!!!!

    PRO!!!
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

  16. #96
    Member Deyeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Night86mare is only one of a few who is still passionate in posting all his photo and giving comments to inspire others.
    Mr. Leong,

    I totally agree with you about Night86mare, his photography is inspiring and passionate, and his comments are the same, he will say when good or bad, or how to improve, honesty is the best policy. If you want critique you must accept both good and bad, its the only way one will learn.

    I read his APAD and you can see the passion he has, but that also goes to yourself, tainted and riotvan, always willing to inspire, make people think about your pictures.


    Last edited by Deyeno; 2nd September 2009 at 03:18 PM.
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

  17. #97

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    maybe shld create a new section.. called the "Ego Boosting Corner". but i think if you want very ego boosting comments go post at cozycot.. i frequent both cs and cozycot.. wa siao the difference between the "male" forum and female forum is atrocious i tell you. the girls there have nth but praises, even if you look like sh*t they tell you you look absolutely gorgeous and sexy.

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    my fiendboy posted this...

    bakuteh has reported a post.

    Reason: Quote:
    A good moderator will not start this kind of thread to invite battle. Admins check your mod and close the thread.
    well, i never said i was good... neither do i need a hypocrite judge... if you have no options to improve the forum, just bug off... oh ya, i can see every single thing you post. U self proclaim as an uncle who is good fren with Mr Donut... wanna slam openly slam lor, humji...

    back to topic... how? well, i think if the trend is to be all the active commentators gradually demoralise and stop posting and only nice pics be posted. then i'll probably respect that...

    thread closing later.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #99

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post

    back to topic... how? well, i think if the trend is to be all the active commentators gradually demoralise and stop posting and only nice pics be posted. then i'll probably respect that...

    thread closing later.
    not many "nice pics have been posted. Honestly it take everyone to build up this kind of culture and it wont happen over night as it always an "bad apple" in the basket.

    Recently notice some have closed their threads straight after posting their photos in the gallery. Perhaps it one of the way of "Thanks, no comments" but personally not really encourage it.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  20. #100

    Default Re: Uniquely CS... Ppl like to hear nice things even thou comments welcome written...

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    my fiendboy posted this...

    well, i never said i was good... neither do i need a hypocrite judge... if you have no options to improve the forum, just bug off... oh ya, i can see every single thing you post. U self proclaim as an uncle who is good fren with Mr Donut... wanna slam openly slam lor, humji...
    hypocrites are everywhere, what to do that's life
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •