Thread: Anyone to advice for Antwerp, Belgium vacation?

Default Anyone to advice for Antwerp, Belgium vacation?

Hi...

I'll be going to Antwerp in Belgium for work for a fairly short 5 days training. I was thinking of extending 2-3 days after that...

Has anyone any advice if it's worth it to spend so much time there, or should I go to Brussels instead after my training?

I've hardly got any info on Antwerp. The guidebooks usually only have 2 pages of short info about it since it's not as popular as Brussels.

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Anyone to advice for Antwerp, Belgium vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi...

I'll be going to Antwerp in Belgium for work for a fairly short 5 days training. I was thinking of extending 2-3 days after that...

Has anyone any advice if it's worth it to spend so much time there, or should I go to Brussels instead after my training?

I've hardly got any info on Antwerp. The guidebooks usually only have 2 pages of short info about it since it's not as popular as Brussels.

Thanks so much.
    David - just saw this. I am a Brit living in Singapore, but recently spent a weekend in Antwerp. I was amazed by how nice a city it is. I think it is definitely worth spending 2-3 days there. The old centre is as nice as Brussels, with very good restaurants and lots of opportunities for street and architectural photography. The centre is not too big so you can easily get around by walking or use the very easy tram system. The city's not too over-crowded, and lots of old property just waiting for someone to buy it up and turn it into trendy apartments.

A week might be a bit too much but 2-3 days certainly worth it.

Brussels is also not that big and it's easy to get around - you could spend two days in Antwerp and take a daytrip to Brussels to see the historic centre. Brussels has a good Underground (= subway) system so you can cover the ground quite quickly. Ultimately there is more to see in Brussels but it is more touristy and I preferred Antwerp.

Hope that helps.

Tim