Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweden for 17days

Default Sweden for 17days

I'll be going to Stockholm, Uppsala and Bergen.

Should i get ziplock bags with silicon gels??

Regarding travelling around, for example through train, is there any tips on how i can save on buying tickets? like buying a ticket that allows me to travel to many places

Anyone been to Stockholm/Uppsala/Bergen?? any places that i MUST visit??

Should i get a CPL and a ND4 filter for this trip??

Thanks to All!

Default Re: Sweden for 17days

Quote Originally Posted by benedetto13 View Post

Regarding travelling around, for example through train, is there any tips on how i can save on buying tickets? like buying a ticket that allows me to travel to many places

Thanks to All!
    Hi,
    I think there is no need for ziplock bags with silicon gels. The humidity is low and I have never encountered any problem (even for my ski trips).

Stockholm is a very nice city and (personally) the best time to visit would be Jun-Aug. You can really feel the holiday moods. Uppsala is north of Stockholm and seriously there isn't much there.

If you look at the map of Sweden, Stockholm is located in the middle of the country. You should consider making a trip to the north, e.g Laplands. The scenary is totally different from what you see in Stockholm or the south. 17 days in Stockholm area could be a little too much. Perhaps you should consider making a trip to Goteborg (in the west of Stockholm) and the south.

Bergen is in Norway. It is actually quite a distance away. Honestly it is definitely worth the trip, esp the train ride from Oslo to Bergen. It is really very scenic.

As for train rides, unless you intend to travel extensive. It may be cheaper to buy the tickets in advance or the Discount Card (which also doubles as a store value card). You can visit www.sj.se

Beside train, you can also consider ferry. There are many routes from Stockholm that go to many ports in the Baltic.

Basically, there are really many options available and it really bottoms down to what you want to do and see (of course when you intend to go as well). I guess it would be easier to advise and discuss further when you have decided on your preferences (and budget). The living standard in the Nordic countries (esp Norway) is very high and you should consider setting a higher budget for the trip (unless you are planning to take the ferries to the Eastern European cities (which is also equally nice).

Safety-wise, Sweden is relatively safe esp in the North. However, you should always exercise caution when travelling in trains. Look out for thieves esp in the train stations and onboard. I had a few encounters in Copenhagen (Denmark) and Malmo (South of Sweden) where some "friendly" guys from the middle eastern countries (BTW, I am not against the people and I do have many friends from there) tried to offer their "assistance" with my bags. While "helping" to place the bags onto the overhead compartment, a well dressed middle aged man in suit and brief-case came quickly from behind and fetched my laptop bag. Thank God that he fell down at the exit and I was able to catch hold of him.

Have fun.

Thanks to All!
    You didn't mention when you are going. If you are going before Nov, there is no need for ziplock bags as the heaters indoor are generally not switched on yet.

You didn't mention your age but if you are below 26, you can buy certain tickets that will give you substantial discounts on train rides.

Just like what Samie has said, Uppsala has not much to offer but there are still some places you may find interesting given the duration, such as Goteborg, Oslo, Bergen, and maybe Gdansk in Poland, not to mention Copenhagen which may be where you commence your trip.

I worked in Sweden for almost 4 years so I know a little about the country and the surrounding. Would be happy to help you in any questions you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Samie View Post
    Hi,
    I think there is no need for ziplock bags with silicon gels. The humidity is low and I have never encountered any problem (even for my ski trips).

Stockholm is a very nice city and (personally) the best time to visit would be Jun-Aug. You can really feel the holiday moods. Uppsala is north of Stockholm and seriously there isn't much there.

If you look at the map of Sweden, Stockholm is located in the middle of the country. You should consider making a trip to the north, e.g Laplands. The scenary is totally different from what you see in Stockholm or the south. 17 days in Stockholm area could be a little too much. Perhaps you should consider making a trip to Goteborg (in the west of Stockholm) and the south.

Bergen is in Norway. It is actually quite a distance away. Honestly it is definitely worth the trip, esp the train ride from Oslo to Bergen. It is really very scenic.

As for train rides, unless you intend to travel extensive. It may be cheaper to buy the tickets in advance or the Discount Card (which also doubles as a store value card). You can visit www.sj.se

Beside train, you can also consider ferry. There are many routes from Stockholm that go to many ports in the Baltic.

Basically, there are really many options available and it really bottoms down to what you want to do and see (of course when you intend to go as well). I guess it would be easier to advise and discuss further when you have decided on your preferences (and budget). The living standard in the Nordic countries (esp Norway) is very high and you should consider setting a higher budget for the trip (unless you are planning to take the ferries to the Eastern European cities (which is also equally nice).

Safety-wise, Sweden is relatively safe esp in the North. However, you should always exercise caution when travelling in trains. Look out for thieves esp in the train stations and onboard. I had a few encounters in Copenhagen (Denmark) and Malmo (South of Sweden) where some "friendly" guys from the middle eastern countries (BTW, I am not against the people and I do have many friends from there) tried to offer their "assistance" with my bags. While "helping" to place the bags onto the overhead compartment, a well dressed middle aged man in suit and brief-case came quickly from behind and fetched my laptop bag. Thank God that he fell down at the exit and I was able to catch hold of him.

Have fun.
    haha Uppsala would be where i'll spend most of my time there during the two weeks because i'll be staying there as i'm going with my girlfriend to visit her sister who works there as a scientist. eh i'm only 18, celebrating my 19th there, first time travelling this far, are the clouds or sunset there nicer??

I would love to travel Copenhagen/Goteborg/Laplands, how much would it cost for me to go there? i can reach there by train or only by plane?? I have no idea, thanks in advance! or anywhere you can direct to for me to check it out myself

Since i'll be there for 17days, 3 days in Bergen, the rest will be up to me. as i do not have huge budget, hoping to go one or two more places other than Stockholm and Bergen.

and Thanks alot of sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by SK1968 View Post
    You didn't mention when you are going. If you are going before Nov, there is no need for ziplock bags as the heaters indoor are generally not switched on yet.

You didn't mention your age but if you are below 26, you can buy certain tickets that will give you substantial discounts on train rides.

Just like what Samie has said, Uppsala has not much to offer but there are still some places you may find interesting given the duration, such as Goteborg, Oslo, Bergen, and maybe Gdansk in Poland, not to mention Copenhagen which may be where you commence your trip.

I worked in Sweden for almost 4 years so I know a little about the country and the surrounding. Would be happy to help you in any questions you may have.
    oh! i'm going from 12sept to 28thsept, which is pretty soon. i'm currently 18, going 19 during my trip. so i can get discount for tickets at the train station??

i would love to visit those places but would love to find out how much they would cost me, as i dont have a huge budget.

will there be awesome night scenes or any stunning sunsets? haha

what should i not miss in stockholm?

thanks alot!

I'm not able to provide too much information about stockholm, but I might contribute with some hints about norway. You say you want to go to Bergen, which is a really good choice. Nice town with some good nature all around. Most important: it's close to the real gems of Norway. I'm of course talking about mountains and fjords
    If you're on a tight schedule I would suggest getting a cheap flight from sweden directly to Bergen. I agree that the train ride from Oslo to Bergen is nice, but I find the nature north of Bergen even more spectacular. http://www.visitnorway.com/en/home/travel-to-norway/ has plenty of tourist information. Areas such as the Sognefjord and the Geirangerfjord is popular among tourists.
    The train lines are a little expensive these days, and bus has gained a lot of popularity recently. http://www.nor-way.no/?lang=en_GB has good coverage and competetive prices.
    Note that the geography makes travelling more time-consuming than it looks on the map!
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help!

Daniel Hornaes

oh! i'm going from 12sept to 28thsept, which is pretty soon. i'm currently 18, going 19 during my trip. so i can get discount for tickets at the train station??

i would love to visit those places but would love to find out how much they would cost me, as i dont have a huge budget.

thanks alot!
    If your budget is small, why are you going to Stockholm/Sweden, arguably one of the most expensive place in Europe.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

thanks alot!
    Sep is ok, windy, chilly sometimes but definitely not freezing, yet. Up in the north, daylight starts to get shorter but there is no shortage of stunning sunsets. Needless to say, night scenes in Stockholm is nice, especially around the water ways and the old town, palaces, etc. One particular museum, Vasa Museum is quite interesting, if you are a museum person. If you are the amusement/theme park person, then Copenhagen's Tivoli and Goteborg's Liseberg may be worth a visit as we have yet to have something like that in Singapore. Since your girlfriend's sister is working in Uppsala, she may be able to tell you the cool hangout in Stockholm, my info on these things is outdated.

Yes, I would think you still qualify for the discounted train travel tickets. Check the internet for it. You would have to book in advance to enjoy the discount, I think.

As rightly pointed out by daniel, the distance are definitely way way longer than they seem on the maps. A lot of time will be spent getting from one place to another.

Deadpoet is correct about the cost of living in Europe. Norway was and probably still is THE country with the highest cost of living. I remember a Mac meal cost around SGD15 and I took a kid's meal which was already at ard SGD10 !

Autumn is awesome over there Too bad I went to the Fjords during Winter....you are very lucky, try to fit into your schedule if budget permits, starting with Bergen. Enjoy and look forward to see you post some pic of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhornaes View Post
    I'm not able to provide too much information about stockholm, but I might contribute with some hints about norway. You say you want to go to Bergen, which is a really good choice. Nice town with some good nature all around. Most important: it's close to the real gems of Norway. I'm of course talking about mountains and fjords
    If you're on a tight schedule I would suggest getting a cheap flight from sweden directly to Bergen. I agree that the train ride from Oslo to Bergen is nice, but I find the nature north of Bergen even more spectacular. http://www.visitnorway.com/en/home/travel-to-norway/ has plenty of tourist information. Areas such as the Sognefjord and the Geirangerfjord is popular among tourists.
    The train lines are a little expensive these days, and bus has gained a lot of popularity recently. http://www.nor-way.no/?lang=en_GB has good coverage and competetive prices.
    Note that the geography makes travelling more time-consuming than it looks on the map!
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help!

Daniel Hornaes
    my girlfriend's sister told us we'll be going to bergen by plane from stockholm, then visit the fjords. we'll be taking the 'classic' route, haha we'll only be staying in bergen for two days. i doubt thats enough right?? haha thanks daniel hornaes!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    If your budget is small, why are you going to Stockholm/Sweden, arguably one of the most expensive place in Europe.
    haha i knew someone will say something like this, that is because my girlfriend's sister is in Uppsala, and we'll be passingby stockholm, which is rather near to uppsala thru train if i'm not wrong. then the main reason was to visit her sister as she just gave birth

Quote Originally Posted by SK1968 View Post
    Sep is ok, windy, chilly sometimes but definitely not freezing, yet. Up in the north, daylight starts to get shorter but there is no shortage of stunning sunsets. Needless to say, night scenes in Stockholm is nice, especially around the water ways and the old town, palaces, etc. One particular museum, Vasa Museum is quite interesting, if you are a museum person. If you are the amusement/theme park person, then Copenhagen's Tivoli and Goteborg's Liseberg may be worth a visit as we have yet to have something like that in Singapore. Since your girlfriend's sister is working in Uppsala, she may be able to tell you the cool hangout in Stockholm, my info on these things is outdated.

Yes, I would think you still qualify for the discounted train travel tickets. Check the internet for it. You would have to book in advance to enjoy the discount, I think.

As rightly pointed out by daniel, the distance are definitely way way longer than they seem on the maps. A lot of time will be spent getting from one place to another.

Deadpoet is correct about the cost of living in Europe. Norway was and probably still is THE country with the highest cost of living. I remember a Mac meal cost around SGD15 and I took a kid's meal which was already at ard SGD10 !

Autumn is awesome over there Too bad I went to the Fjords during Winter....you are very lucky, try to fit into your schedule if budget permits, starting with Bergen. Enjoy and look forward to see you post some pic of your trip.
    haha thanks for all the info, i'm so looking forward to it!

haha her sister says that one meal in norway cost arnd $50 so if thats the case, i rather have mac then!

haha i'll be going to the fjords, what should i be expecting there? haha yea i'll definitely post photos of the trip when i'm back!

and i was asked to plan what i'm going to do there in stockholm, how?? i have no idea

There used to be Scanrail pass which I bought to use for 21 consecutive day. But they have stopped Scanrail since 2007.. Alternatively, you can get your railpass here: http://www.eurail.com/

Do check for youth price if you're under 26..

Check out http://www.statravel.com.sg in Singapore for prices and pass you can purchase from SG office.. They also can give you information about youth travel and the perks.

Please take the very scenic train ride from Oslo to Bergen. I took it during a late-autumn morning in '05 and it's breathtaking.. Read that it's one of the best train ride in the world.

This image was taken on the train ride

My sis did her SEP in Goteborg and it's a beautiful city. When I visited her, we took a 1-day driving trip up north of Goteborg (~500km return) .. Beautiful!

We veered off the main road and found this.. Stopped our car on a wooden bridge to take this photo.. Very very beautiful place.

I like Stockholm for it's Gamla Stan.. (i love architecture).

Do go over to Gotland if you've got time. Visby is a quiet nice town.. Do a self-drive around the island, and see the limestones.. Awesome.
    Last edited by behyx; 31st August 2009 at 01:36 PM.

If you have time, go up to Abisko or some of the towns north of Sweden.. It's in the arctic circle. I stayed with a local family I met in the train, and people there are very warm. To save time, I took a domestic flight down to Stockholm (IIRC, the train ride took 17 hours or so)...

This place in Denmark is one of the few places in the world where 2 sea meet.

Park in Denmark.. Although you can't find clear blue sky everyday, but autumn is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by behyx View Post
    We veered off the main road and found this.. Stopped our car on a wooden bridge to take this photo.. Very very beautiful place.

I like Stockholm for it's Gamla Stan.. (i love architecture).

Do go over to Gotland if you've got time. Visby is a quiet nice town.. Do a self-drive around the island, and see the limestones.. Awesome.
    ohmannn awesome photos!! thanks plenty for sharing

how long would i take to get from stockholm to gamla stan??

if i were to take train most of the times, which places in stockholm should i not miss??

i borrowed afew books from library, read up online, kinda hard to decide what to do, where to go and how to plan going about in stockholm, if you have the time, please help me! thanks!

gamla stan is part of stockholm!!

it depends on where you stay actually... i stayed near sundbyberg so it took me abt 25min on t-bana to get to gamla stan..

the underground network's pretty good.. so you dont have to stay exactly around t-centralen etc.. can stay outside.. flemingsberg... near karolinska etc and all that..
    pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    gamla stan is part of stockholm!!

it depends on where you stay actually... i stayed near sundbyberg so it took me abt 25min on t-bana to get to gamla stan..

the underground network's pretty good.. so you dont have to stay exactly around t-centralen etc.. can stay outside.. flemingsberg... near karolinska etc and all that..
    haha i know! ok if i were to travel alot on train, what should i get?? like train pass or something??

I'll be at Uppsala, 40mins from stockholm if i'm not wrong. hahaha

well in stockholm the highlights are usually the museums etc.. vasser museet with that preserved shipwreck.. nordic museum... nobel museum etc.. gamla stan is a nice place to walk.. lots of cafes there.. its not too pricey to eat.. depending on your budget... if you are feeling tight budgeted.. eat from those kebab restaurants.. not that ex.. abt 60 kronors to 80 kronors a meal.. which is quite filling.

then you can drop by the royal apartments take a look at their change over parade... to the cityhall also nice.. lots of pictures to take..
    pedantic.

haha i know! ok if i were to travel alot on train, what should i get?? like train pass or something??

I'll be at Uppsala, 40mins from stockholm if i'm not wrong. hahaha
    from uppsala down to stockholm you probably will be taking either the SJ or the SL trains.. you can check for the train ticket price.. the trains go straight down into t-centralen.. dont be too shocked at the train ticket.. i paid 600 kronors for a 3hr journey b4... check http://www.sj.se/

if its not necessary dont need to take the faster XJ-2000 although its a nice experience to sit in one of these more technologically advanced trains. its designed to go fast.. but for short distances it only saves half an hr or fourty five mins...

uppsala is a nice place!! :P i'm a user of biacore instruments which came from amersham bioscience/pharmacia that is based in uppsala
    pedantic.

just checked SJ, 40min ride from uppsala c to stockholm t-centralen is 67 SEK if you take the sj regional.. so no worries.. not too expensive
    pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by proteonXPR View Post
    well in stockholm the highlights are usually the museums etc.. vasser museet with that preserved shipwreck.. nordic museum... nobel museum etc.. gamla stan is a nice place to walk.. lots of cafes there.. its not too pricey to eat.. depending on your budget... if you are feeling tight budgeted.. eat from those kebab restaurants.. not that ex.. abt 60 kronors to 80 kronors a meal.. which is quite filling.

then you can drop by the royal apartments take a look at their change over parade... to the cityhall also nice.. lots of pictures to take..
    okkk so mostly the museums, haha i'm looking forward to gamla stan, esp after i saw that photo taken from behyx, i'm so inspired! i can reach all these places thru train right? which won't take many hours for me to get there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast