Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718212641 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (40) RAF999's time is up?

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (40) RAF999's time is up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    HOPE happens to be a 4 letter word...

let's see how this season will turn out to be. raf999's last season in charge? or... will we win something?
    hope is better than some other 4-letter words rite? hahaha...can lah...Rafa will bring us that elusive no.19...maybe carlsberg is a jinx...when stanchart starts the sponsorship,we'll dominate english soccer again...then those rich arabs will buy us from the 2 americans...

Default Re: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB: You'll Never Walk Alone! (40) RAF999's time is up?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/englan...cen-mascherano

EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool Unchanged Against Debrecen, Mascherano Returns To Squad

The Argentina captain returns for the Champions League game but is unlikely to start...

Sep 15, 2009 2:03:02 PM

Photo Gallery
    Zoom

Lucas and Benayoun, Liverpool - Havant and Waterlooville (PA)
    Related Links

Liverpool commence their Champions League campaign at home to Debrecen tonight and are expected to be unchanged from Saturday's 4-0 win against Burnley.

Javier Mascherano rejoins the squad following a slight pelvic injury he sustained during Argentina's World Cup qualifiers. However, having starred against Burnley, Lucas Leiva will almost certainly be preferred in the starting line-up.

Manager Rafael Benitez hailed Lucas as the pivotal force behind the weekend win, even though Yossi Benayoun scored a hat-trick and assisted Dirk Kuyt's goal. It appears that the previously criticised Brazilian will have another chance to build on his growing Anfield reputation against the Hungarian champions.

New signing Alberto Aquilani is still recovering from ankle surgery and Nabil El Zhar is sidelined with a medial ligament strain.

Probable line-up (4-2-3-1):

Jose Manuel Reina;
    Glen Johnson, Emiliano Insua, Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel;
    Lucas Leiva, Steven Gerrard;
    Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun, Albert Riera;
    Fernando Torres.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle158275.html

Rafa Benitez: Premier League is Liverpool's priority

Published 15:21 15/09/09 By David Maddock

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez believes his side now have the experience to justify their billing amongst the Champions’ League favourites.
    But the Spanish coach knows that even the Reds are expected to again punch above their weight in the premier European competition, it is the league that his own club’s supporters will judge him by.
    Liverpool entertain Hungarian side Debrecen in the first match of the group stage this week, with the whole of Europe expecting them to overcome that initial hurdle with ease.
    Benitez now expects the same from his side, but he admitted that while the focus naturally turns to the Champions’ League, it is the Premier League which will determine whether the fans judge him a success.

“It is important to approach every game and every competition trying to win, but at a club like Liverpool the priority for the fans is the Premier League, then Champions’ League, then FA Cup then Carling Cup,” he explained.
    “That is the order for the supporters, but of course they expect us to perform in the Champions’ League, because of our success in this competition in the past.
    “In a top side like Liverpool you need to be able to handle the pressure of that expectation. People expect us to beat Debrecen even though they are a very good side.
    “We know that, and we have confidence we can deal with it now. We know we need to get off to a good start, we know that the first thing is to win this game and be in a better position on Thursday.”

Forlan says wrong studs ended United career

Diego Forlan says his Manchester United career ended when he failed to wear the right boots for a vital game against Chelsea, thus risking - and engaging - the wrath of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Forlan and Ferguson remain in touch despite the row over the studs
    Forlan took 27 games to score his first goal for United and failed to find the form during his Old Trafford spell between 2002 and 2004 that subsequently marked him out as one of the best strikers in Europe with both Villarreal and Atletico Madrid.

His time at United came to an abrupt end when Forlan opted not to follow advice to wear boots with larger studs, and getting caught in the act.

"(Manager Sir Alex) Ferguson wanted me to play with high studs, the interchangeable ones that suit wet pitches," Forlan told the official Champions League magazine. "But I feel more comfortable in low ones. I agreed to change boots, but I didn't. Against Chelsea, I slipped in front of goal and wasted a chance. Afterwards, I rushed to the dressing room to change boots. Ferguson caught me. He grabbed the boots and threw them. That was my last game for United."

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    Forlan says wrong studs ended United career

Diego Forlan says his Manchester United career ended when he failed to wear the right boots for a vital game against Chelsea, thus risking - and engaging - the wrath of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Forlan and Ferguson remain in touch despite the row over the studs
    Forlan took 27 games to score his first goal for United and failed to find the form during his Old Trafford spell between 2002 and 2004 that subsequently marked him out as one of the best strikers in Europe with both Villarreal and Atletico Madrid.

His time at United came to an abrupt end when Forlan opted not to follow advice to wear boots with larger studs, and getting caught in the act.

"(Manager Sir Alex) Ferguson wanted me to play with high studs, the interchangeable ones that suit wet pitches," Forlan told the official Champions League magazine. "But I feel more comfortable in low ones. I agreed to change boots, but I didn't. Against Chelsea, I slipped in front of goal and wasted a chance. Afterwards, I rushed to the dressing room to change boots. Ferguson caught me. He grabbed the boots and threw them. That was my last game for United."

i remember there's one italian keeper for manure who lets in a goal under his body then look at his boots after that...

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    i remember there's one italian keeper for manure who lets in a goal under his body then look at his boots after that...

b4 i laugh at this, i always remember we got 1 who dropped 2.
    but the 2 he made from sheva made up for it..

haha,yes,taibi...

haha,yes,taibi...

legend

this is definitely funnier than phil babb buang against the goal post

haha! 1-0 home win over a KKJ team.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

raf999.

RAFA UNCONCERNED BY NARROW WIN

Rafael Benitez brushed aside criticism of Liverpool's downbeat 1-0 Champions League victory over Hungarian champions Debrecen by insisting he was happy because it was a win.

Liverpool's display in their opening Group E clash was way short of their best, and they were made to struggle by a team playing in the group stages for the first time.

Dirk Kuyt grabbed the winner in the final seconds of the first period, but despite dominating throughout and creating a glut of chances, Liverpool were unable to produce a convincing scoreline.

The Liverpool manager said: "We made a lot of chances and just did not take them.

"So because of that we ended up under pressure at the end of the match when we should have been winning comfortably.

"But Debrecen can take credit for their display, this may be their first game at this level but they have dominated in Hungary for several years and you could see why.

"They were well organised and worked very hard. What we had to do was score the second goal, and then it would have been easier. But we could not manage to do that."

But this was Liverpool's third win on the trot after a worrying start to the season.

Benitez said: "We were in control for most of the match, they had just one shot from a counter-attack.

"But although we did not score the goals we wanted, we did win and I'm happy with that.

"We are confident now, we are winning games in a row and we have started the Champions League with three points. But hopefully we will be much better next time.

"We did not know too much about Debrecen, but we knew they had good players and they would have to show their quality on a higher stage. But they certainly did that."

Jamie Carragher earlier admitted Liverpool were a long way from their best.

"We didn't play well, we know that, just the 1-0, but we wanted to get a win as quick as we could to qualify from the group," he said on ITV.

"It's not our best performance but we got the result."

Kuyt was asked to play behind Torres with Steven Gerrard dropped deeper into midfield, and the Dutchman was forced to admit the formation did not produce enough openings.

"It was difficult to create chances," he said. "In the first half we should have scored more than one goal to make the game a lot easier.

"Like Jamie said, it's not the best performance, but we got the clean sheet and won the game. That's the most important thing in the first game."

Kuyt, who spent most of last season playing on the right wing for Liverpool, added that he was happy to switch position to wherever Benitez asks him to go.

"It doesn't matter which position I play if I can be important for the team," he said.

"I have played (in the middle) before. Last year I played most of the time on the right, and this year most of the time behind Fernando. Maybe on Saturday it will be a different position, but that is up to the manager."

Debrecen coach Andras Herczeg said: "We were still in with a chance at the end. It says everything that I put on an extra striker and Rafa Benitez responded by putting on a world-class midfielder(Javier Mascherano).

"That speaks for itself, we were threatening and they wanted to make sure they hung onto the win.

"We were maybe a little overawed at the beginning with everything about Anfield. They are a world-class team and they were always going to create a lot of chances.

"But it was a shame we conceded the goal so close to the break, we were not concentrating and paid for that.

"We certainly stood up to the pressure they created and the chances they made."

Vomit ..... BLOOD!!!

Kuyt saved us once again

haha! 1-0 home win over a KKJ team.
    raf999.

RAFA UNCONCERNED BY NARROW WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelion View Post
    Vomit ..... BLOOD!!!
    Its a good result against an unknown team...its still 3 points in our opening CL game even if we beat them 10-0...i agree with Rafa that the slim victory is of no concern as we keep on our winning streak...debrecen is a good team,any team in the CL group stage is good enough,plus they are unknown...we'll have better knowledge playing against them in the return leg...strange nobody mentioned Kuyt scored the winner!! Why always criticise the team when a praise will do fine...

Welldone my LFC for winning the opening game...i'm looking fwd to more victories in future...

Kuyt saved us once again
    this is not the 1st time & i'm sure wont be the last...bro cheesecake will be proud with his collection of kuyt's gstrings... i'm sure he got the one kuyt wore during the game just now...

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2009/09...teven-gerrard/

Whilst I would agree that Lucas has improved this season I think comparisons made by the Brazilian to Stevie G may be getting a little ahead of himself. To be fair to the young midfielder he is still finding his feet at the club and he played perhaps two of his best games for the club against Stoke City and then Burnley.
    It is hard to pigeon hole the 22 year old as a certain type of midfielder. As discussed on here before It is clear he is not a Javier or a Xabi as such but more a composite of both players, which can be useful but no doubt also a little tricky for the player to adjust to the role that best suits his abilities.
    I think he is on the verge of justifying his place in the team and the problem will arise when Alberto Aquilani is fully fit and then Rafa will have to juggle things around or more likely, have Lucas sit out some games and that may be a hard pill for the Brazilian to swallow and will be a test of his character and maturity.
    Leiva’s passing has improved of late and that was in many ways the attribute that most angered us as supporters, was his ability to lose the ball with a wayward misdirected ball, even the most simple five yarder seemed to occasionally trouble him but now he seems a more fluid player, able to keep the play moving without slowing it down needlessly.
    He may not be the next Steven Gerrard but I do feel there is a place for him at the club and he could yet become a player of great value to the club and the rest of this season will be crucial to his chances of becoming a Liverpool player of merit.

Lucas can never be a SG but he will be a great servant to LFC & a good player in future...he has improved & i'm sure he will keep on improving...

[/CENTER]

Its a good result against an unknown team...its still 3 points in our opening CL game even if we beat them 10-0...i agree with Rafa that the slim victory is of no concern as we keep on our winning streak...debrecen is a good team,any team in the CL group stage is good enough,plus they are unknown...we'll have better knowledge playing against them in the return leg...strange nobody mentioned Kuyt scored the winner!! Why always criticise the team when a praise will do fine...

Welldone my LFC for winning the opening game...i'm looking fwd to more victories in future...
    i'm in absolute awe of ur positivity towards such a dim n dark situation.

i can't feel the same as u do, against a 'unknown' team with limited skills and resources, a 1-0 at Anfield can never do.

but of cos, to each their own.

i'm still looking forward to seeing raf999 being sacked but then again, u never know. we haf to wait till end of the season.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2009/09...teven-gerrard/

Whilst I would agree that Lucas has improved this season I think comparisons made by the Brazilian to Stevie G may be getting a little ahead of himself. To be fair to the young midfielder he is still finding his feet at the club and he played perhaps two of his best games for the club against Stoke City and then Burnley.
    It is hard to pigeon hole the 22 year old as a certain type of midfielder. As discussed on here before It is clear he is not a Javier or a Xabi as such but more a composite of both players, which can be useful but no doubt also a little tricky for the player to adjust to the role that best suits his abilities.
    I think he is on the verge of justifying his place in the team and the problem will arise when Alberto Aquilani is fully fit and then Rafa will have to juggle things around or more likely, have Lucas sit out some games and that may be a hard pill for the Brazilian to swallow and will be a test of his character and maturity.
    Leiva’s passing has improved of late and that was in many ways the attribute that most angered us as supporters, was his ability to lose the ball with a wayward misdirected ball, even the most simple five yarder seemed to occasionally trouble him but now he seems a more fluid player, able to keep the play moving without slowing it down needlessly.
    He may not be the next Steven Gerrard but I do feel there is a place for him at the club and he could yet become a player of great value to the club and the rest of this season will be crucial to his chances of becoming a Liverpool player of merit.

Lucas can never be a SG but he will be a great servant to LFC & a good player in future...he has improved & i'm sure he will keep on improving...
    Quite difficult for him to improve when Aqunini starts to play.