Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: C5050Z + Close-up filters

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default C5050Z + Close-up filters

    Anyone here uses a close-up filter for his/her C5050? Since it has super macro, does the close-up filter help in any way? Also, what is the price for such a filter? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    Anyone here uses a close-up filter for his/her C5050? Since it has super macro, does the close-up filter help in any way? Also, what is the price for such a filter? Thanks.
    I use Hoya +4 and +10. Need to use them with full zoom (105mm efl). +10 with full zoom is slightly bigger than the camera's super macro mode. I oso tried both together to get +14, can see esplanade effect of dragonfly's eyes. +10 is optically better than +4 becoz it is double element.

    Buy from AP:
    +4 - $15
    +10 - $45

    I use 55mm size for both.
    If you need to take anything moving or in low light u will need external flash.

    Hope this help

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecc35
    I use Hoya +4 and +10. Need to use them with full zoom (105mm efl). +10 with full zoom is slightly bigger than the camera's super macro mode. I oso tried both together to get +14, can see esplanade effect of dragonfly's eyes. +10 is optically better than +4 becoz it is double element.

    Buy from AP:
    +4 - $15
    +10 - $45

    I use 55mm size for both.
    If you need to take anything moving or in low light u will need external flash.

    Hope this help
    oic. so this means, when we use a close up filter, we cannot be in macro mode? so what's the diff using a filter n macro mode? slightly bigger only ka? anything else? please help explain a bit of benefit, and why u choose to get the filters. going down to AP soon.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecc35
    I use Hoya +4 and +10. Need to use them with full zoom (105mm efl). +10 with full zoom is slightly bigger than the camera's super macro mode. I oso tried both together to get +14, can see esplanade effect of dragonfly's eyes. +10 is optically better than +4 becoz it is double element.

    Buy from AP:
    +4 - $15
    +10 - $45

    I use 55mm size for both.
    If you need to take anything moving or in low light u will need external flash.

    Hope this help
    btw, why a +4 and a +10? isn't the +10 sufficient?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    140

    Default

    There is less distortion using the filter then the super macro mode. Especially so if you use the +10, which is a very good lens.

    Yes +10 is slightly bigger then super macro, but the lens is 10cm away from subject compared to 3cm in super macro. This makes lighting easier.

    Using close up filter will fix the focal length (10cm for +10), which means with some practice u can shoot in manual focus mode quite easily. In macro, the slightest movement will make your auto focus useless.

    +14 is to get a bigger magnification, in fact I'm tempted to try +20.

    Hope this help.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecc35
    There is less distortion using the filter then the super macro mode. Especially so if you use the +10, which is a very good lens.

    Yes +10 is slightly bigger then super macro, but the lens is 10cm away from subject compared to 3cm in super macro. This makes lighting easier.

    Using close up filter will fix the focal length (10cm for +10), which means with some practice u can shoot in manual focus mode quite easily. In macro, the slightest movement will make your auto focus useless.

    +14 is to get a bigger magnification, in fact I'm tempted to try +20.

    Hope this help.
    ecc35, where did you buy the +10 filter for? i went AP but they don't have it. how much and where did you buy from?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    ecc35, where did you buy the +10 filter for? i went AP but they don't have it. how much and where did you buy from?

    Bot at AP in Aug, $45 before GST. Maybe out of stock

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecc35
    Bot at AP in Aug, $45 before GST. Maybe out of stock


    anyone else knows which other shop has it? aww ... maybe i'll drop by peninsula to check out the shops there. any recommended one?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade


    anyone else knows which other shop has it? aww ... maybe i'll drop by peninsula to check out the shops there. any recommended one?

    I suggest you call them first instead of travelling there. Can try CP and TCW.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •