Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

  1. #1

    Default COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Anyone have experience with both types of filters and share whats the pro and cons?
    It seems that the cokin/Tianya system is cheaper comapred to those screw-in filters.
    How able the picture quality?

    I am using nikon 18-200 lens and will be planing to buy the tokina 11-16 and nikon 50mm.
    Will buying the step-ring and buying all my filters at 77mm be a better option or buying the cokin/Tianya filters

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    er

    depends on what filters you are talking about, which ones are you talkinga bout

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Eh....nikon 50mm filter size is 52mm.

    You mean should you buy a tokina 11-16 and then buy a 77mm adaptor ring + tianya/cokin slip-in square filter?
    I'm a cow with a camera

  4. #4

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    cokin like system are best for effect like photo like ND, grad nd, color filter, effect filter
    while screw in filter have best filter like CPL, uv also best and serve as basic for lens protector
    close up filter also only available as screw in

    cokin system need time to setup while screw in can have instant action ( you popup the lens cap and start snap)
    cokin are best for landscape & still setup type & screw in for life & action/sport type
    Last edited by hoeichia; 28th August 2009 at 02:53 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    cokin system doesn't really need a long time to set up.

    the thing is, it is probably cheaper to get many lens rings and use a common filter holder for most cases.

    do note that for certain things the cokin system might let in light leaks from the side especially with strong sources of light present depending on how and what direction you are facing with shooting.

    if you ask me, cokin is essential for things like gnd. screw in means you are stuck with fixed horizon line. for things like nd, etc, it is entire optional.. but of course for certain strength of filters, i.e. nd110 (10 stop filter) or nd400 (9 stop filter) you probably won't be able to get it on the cokin, so these are screw-on filters. along with things like hoya r72 (for infrared photography).

    so what exactly are you looking out for, i do not know.

  6. #6

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    So far from e feedback from u guys and fr google.
    Uv filter and cpl will be Using screw-in filters. No cokin options.
    So think i wil get e stepup ring from 72to77mm. And juz buy 1 77mm cpl to share between my 2 lens.
    Will there b any performance/photo quality issues for my 18-200 lens if i use e stepup ring?

    For gnd , nd2 to nd8: better to get e cokin system?
    think its cheaper to buy e cokin system rather than buying individual filters and e flexibility to adjust the gnd rite?


    * think can ignore e 50mm. Since i dun think i need filters for tat lens, juz e basic uv for protection will do.

  7. #7

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by ivantoh7 View Post
    So far from e feedback from u guys and fr google.
    Uv filter and cpl will be Using screw-in filters. No cokin options.
    So think i wil get e stepup ring from 72to77mm. And juz buy 1 77mm cpl to share between my 2 lens.
    Will there b any performance/photo quality issues for my 18-200 lens if i use e stepup ring?

    For gnd , nd2 to nd8: better to get e cokin system?
    think its cheaper to buy e cokin system rather than buying individual filters and e flexibility to adjust the gnd rite?


    * think can ignore e 50mm. Since i dun think i need filters for tat lens, juz e basic uv for protection will do.
    cokin carries cpl filters, http://www.cokin.com/ico3-p1-7.html

  8. #8

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    cpl got.

    uv no point, i'm sure you want to walk around with a big shield around your lens..

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    668

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Hi just a quick question, I've seen it mentioned many times that cokin/tianya system save cost of having just 1 fillter and holder with different adapter ring (to share between lenses of different size) but isnt a screw in type able to use a step up ring as well? using a 72mm+step ring with 77mm CPL. If thats the case where does the cost saving comes in? the step up isnt a lot more expensive than the adapater ring right? Pls correct/advise me please. Thank you.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Purple Line
    Posts
    207

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by byteyou View Post
    Hi just a quick question, I've seen it mentioned many times that cokin/tianya system save cost of having just 1 fillter and holder with different adapter ring (to share between lenses of different size) but isnt a screw in type able to use a step up ring as well? using a 72mm+step ring with 77mm CPL. If thats the case where does the cost saving comes in? the step up isnt a lot more expensive than the adapater ring right? Pls correct/advise me please. Thank you.
    Will there be any loss of Image quality/Light/vignetting using step-up ring ? With the step-ring, is stacking possible ?

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by ivantoh7 View Post
    So far from e feedback from u guys and fr google.
    Uv filter and cpl will be Using screw-in filters. No cokin options.
    So think i wil get e stepup ring from 72to77mm. And juz buy 1 77mm cpl to share between my 2 lens.
    Will there b any performance/photo quality issues for my 18-200 lens if i use e stepup ring?

    For gnd , nd2 to nd8: better to get e cokin system?
    think its cheaper to buy e cokin system rather than buying individual filters and e flexibility to adjust the gnd rite?


    * think can ignore e 50mm. Since i dun think i need filters for tat lens, juz e basic uv for protection will do.
    I have the Cokin C-PL. I like it more than my 52mm Hoya screw in one.

    For Digital SLR, UV light does not affect the picture.

  12. #12
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSuns85 View Post
    Will there be any loss of Image quality/Light/vignetting using step-up ring ? With the step-ring, is stacking possible ?
    Stacking is always possible. But problem is, the more glass you have infront of your lens, more problems you get. You have to remember that once you have like a ND8 or ND4 in, Sometimes it is very hard to see the effects of the C-PL. Why? Because it is so damn dark.

    I almost never have to use C-PL with ND4 or ND8.

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by byteyou View Post
    Hi just a quick question, I've seen it mentioned many times that cokin/tianya system save cost of having just 1 fillter and holder with different adapter ring (to share between lenses of different size) but isnt a screw in type able to use a step up ring as well? using a 72mm+step ring with 77mm CPL. If thats the case where does the cost saving comes in? the step up isnt a lot more expensive than the adapater ring right? Pls correct/advise me please. Thank you.
    True. But what is the price of a 77mm screw in filter, say ND8? Cokin's is 35. Tianya is less than $20. How much is a 77mm ND8?

    Let's compare:

    Lens cokin adapter ring = $15
    Cokin Holder = $13
    Cokin ND8 = $35
    Total= $63. This is Cokin price, not the cheaper Tianya.

    Hoya 77mm ND8 = $65 (cheapest one from camerafilters.com, excluding shipping. Converted to SGD. Local stores will cost more)
    Step-Up Rings =?

    Lets say you went out and bought a lens with 82mm filter thread. Die, coz you only have 77mm filters.

    Hope this answers your question.

    And one more thing, with GND, with cokin or tianya, you can adjust the height of the GND in the frame. You can't with a screw in.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th August 2009 at 04:56 PM.

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sentosa Cove
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    aiyo..............why so stupid......Get the Singhray ones lah!

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrai View Post
    aiyo..............why so stupid......Get the Singhray ones lah!
    I think Singhray is more ex leh.

  16. #16

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrai View Post
    aiyo..............why so stupid......Get the Singhray ones lah!
    i can't justify the cost

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i can't justify the cost
    What interest me in Singhray's product line is the Reverse GND filter sheet for Cokin system.

  18. #18

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    True. But what is the price of a 77mm screw in filter, say ND8? Cokin's is 35. Tianya is less than $20. How much is a 77mm ND8?

    Let's compare:

    Lens cokin adapter ring = $15
    Cokin Holder = $13
    Cokin ND8 = $35
    Total= $63. This is Cokin price, not the cheaper Tianya.

    Hoya 77mm ND8 = $65 (cheapest one from camerafilters.com, excluding shipping. Converted to SGD. Local stores will cost more)
    Step-Up Rings =?

    Lets say you went out and bought a lens with 82mm filter thread. Die, coz you only have 77mm filters.

    Hope this answers your question.

    And one more thing, with GND, with cokin or tianya, you can adjust the height of the GND in the frame. You can't with a screw in.
    thanks for the advise.
    tats wat i feel too. E cokin system will be better in the long run. I dun have to keep buying different filters of different size.
    So hows the Cokin compared to the Tianya?
    Seems that Tianya is much cheaper compared to Cokin.

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: COKIN SYSTEM/Tianya VS SCREW-IN FILTERS

    Tianya is not bad but choices of filters are a lot less than Cokin. Also for GND filters, Tianya sometimes exhibit uneveness in the coloring. I have also heard of imperfections in the filter sheets at times, uneveness in surface, or flaws in the surface.

    It is up to you. Many people are using the Tianya with good results. Just make sure you check each sheet of the filters before you buy them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •