Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting bokeh with standard canon kit

Default Re: getting bokeh with standard canon kit

Nightmare >> thanks for your comment. I am currently using the notes provided in the sticky... but still hard for me to get a good bokeh.. perhaps i need a lens with smaller focal..

Hyori,

What i would suggest is you go understand the basics of exposure and metering before going into aperture which is another whole new chapter...

3 things affect exposure:

Aperture... the f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2, f/2.8...... all the f/##

Shutter Speed... the 1/4000 secs, 1/500 secs, 1/8secs, 1sec, 30secs... etc etc

ISO... ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 3200, all the ISOs....

Go read up how all these are combined to give the correct exposure first...

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    Hi just to clarify myself.. i was playing with my camera while posting on this. the reason i ask some is because i m clueless after i am trying. for instance. when i do the scroll thing.. the F 3.6 went up... F22... etc... so i am just curious if this is consider focal. and also why issit that the shutter speed (speed to take the picture) is longer.
    Hi hyori,

From what you posted so far, it seems that you have absolutely no idea about the controls and functions of your camera. The best way to start now is actually for you to thoroughly read through your camera's manual, to get an idea of what those dials and buttons are for. After that, you should read through the beginner's guide like what other members had rightly pointed out to you (see post #14). After you've done that, come back with your questions and we'll try to answer them for you. I won't blame other seniors for getting mad at you if they had told you what to do and yet you're not following their advice (in fact I would be mad too).
    Last edited by ziploc; 28th August 2009 at 05:18 PM.

i m going to mscolor get the book from sulham later!

I smell a potential new EF 50mm F/1.8 Mk II user.

If you have some money to spare about $120+, get a brand new EF 50 mm 1.8 II. It will sure produce bokeh at F1.8.

But you must get the subject in the spanking middle of the viewfinder using the central AF point. This is to make sure the subject stays sharp while the background becomes blur. Otherwise try to stop it down to F2.8 or F4 to improve sharpness further.

Cheers

Mahathir
    Only in death, I shall be truly liberated.

yeah, isn't this a site where they can seek advice and guidance from pro like you all........??????

I think you don't understand what bokeh is yet (someone mentioned it earlier in the thread) -- bokeh is the quality of the out of focus areas of the image, NOT how much the background is blurred. This is a function of the lens, not your settings.

For e.g. use 2 different lenses, say both 85mm at f1.4, to take the same shot with the same settings in the same circumstances (say a headshot of someone against a background of green leaves). The amount of background blur is the same, but the QUALITY of the blurred areas (admittedly this is subjective) may be different. This is more obvious if there are highlights in the blurred area. For more information:

http://www.digicamhelp.com/taking-ph...hniques/bokeh/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

Many photographers misuse the term -- a good example is the one who recommended the Canon 50 f1.8 for good bokeh. With a large aperture, it can produce blurred backgrounds, but the quality of the out of focus areas is not its strong point. That's one reason a lot of people spend 4x more for the Canon 50mm f1.4, not just for the extra half-stop. Want a comparison? Go to
    http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

If you are just looking at producing a sharp foreground subject against a blurry background, then others have covered the points already. You can also google 'selective focus'. One article at http://www.basic-digital-photography...technqiue.html

BUT, I'd really suggest you learn the basics (camera controls, focus, exposure, basic composition and lighting) first. Or you won't understand some key elements of these articles. Learn to walk before you run

If you really want the shortcut method (not recommended!) use the portrait mode in you camera (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/page7.asp), use the long end (55mm) of your lens and physically separate you subject from your background as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    So are you telling me that you can be rude to them if they are clueless?

Everyone of us need to start off somewhere, and many of us started off just like them, clueless. Think of the many who had helped you one way or another when you were newbie. Think of how you would feel if you were scoff off by the seniors back then. There are one too many rude remarks I've seen in the newbies forum. If you really want to make the forum a better place and willing to come here and help out the newbies, do it with sincerity and kindness. Do it with your heart. Point them to the right direction or resources that they need, or at least tell them how to find them.
    To carry on this topic would be to digress from the main purpose of this thread.
    Your points have been noted. Thanks for sharing your opinion.
    I don't necessarily agree with you on all the points you brought up though.

My point is:
    Clueless doesn't mean helpless.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    To carry on this topic would be to digress from the main purpose of this thread.
    Your points have been noted. Thanks for sharing your opinion.
    I don't necessarily agree with you on all the points you brought up though.

My point is:
    Clueless doesn't mean helpless.
    You do not need to agree with my points. But the mods are here to upkeep the rules, and do our best to make the forum a better place to most, if not all, the members. Thank you for your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchimuyo View Post
    yeah, isn't this a site where they can seek advice and guidance from pro like you all........??????
    then it might as well extend to subjects like "how to dress myself" "how to feed myself"

after all, you can hardly take pictures without being dressed or being fed.

做好人做到底

Hi Hyori,

There's a web based nice tutorial (quite complete with samples of some settings used) in Canon's website.

This is it :http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr

You can browse and take a look on part 1 to part 3. It's designed with some nice animations so you will not bored. You can try it. My friend (non photography hobby) can understand and becomes to like photography in 2 to 3 hours of reading these

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by tenchimuyo View Post
    yes it is, but sometimes, the person asking the question,

can also do some research before asking.

i would get mad at those who expect we are answer machines and answer them all their questions.
    Pentax K-x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12