Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: how to add colour to your flash?

  1. #21
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to add colour to your flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by catohcat View Post
    I just bought a Nikon gel pack from Lords' Photo today for about three red notes. But the gels melt quickly . Dont buy.

    I'm also looking for thick gels. The gels sold in Cathay is thick enough to withstand the flash heat?
    In the first place, you're NOT SUPPOSED to rapid fire when using gels...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  2. #22
    Member catohcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: how to add colour to your flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    In the first place, you're NOT SUPPOSED to rapid fire when using gels...
    I dont rapid fire. I read the manual. I shoot in the interval of like 5-10 second per flash. Shoot 3 flashes, and the red filter melt. I put my SB-600 power at 1/8.

  3. #23
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to add colour to your flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by catohcat View Post
    I dont rapid fire. I read the manual. I shoot in the interval of like 5-10 second per flash. Shoot 3 flashes, and the red filter melt. I put my SB-600 power at 1/8.
    Tat's weird... I have the SB-800 gels which I have used for a couple of times and they are still in good condition.

    You're talking about the SJ-1 right? a pack of 20 filters??
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #24
    Member catohcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: how to add colour to your flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Tat's weird... I have the SB-800 gels which I have used for a couple of times and they are still in good condition.

    You're talking about the SJ-1 right? a pack of 20 filters??
    But I only melt the red filter. The other filter is still doing good. Perhaps red filter absorb more heat & I put the gel too close to the flash lamp.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: how to add colour to your flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Mebb can try CP.
    Thanks! Will check it out..


    and yea Catohcat, gotta be careful when using them with filter. You have to realise that a flash fired (at say, full power from an SB-800) is extremely powerful e.g -If you fired it at your hand from a few cm away, you'll burn off the hair on your skin and mildly scald your skin

  6. #26
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to add colour to your flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by catohcat View Post
    But I only melt the red filter. The other filter is still doing good. Perhaps red filter absorb more heat & I put the gel too close to the flash lamp.
    Hmmmm, mebbe the red one is thinner than the rest.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: how to add colour to your flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Hmmmm, mebbe the red one is thinner than the rest.
    Oh maybe the red one has a higher optical density than the others? So it'll absorb more light and get hotter?

    I think you can check this by looking at the rating on the gel itself. The gel indicates how many stops of light it'll absorb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •