Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How 2 check whether ur newly bought dslr is totally new at not "demos"?

Default Re: How 2 check whether ur newly bought dslr is totally new at not "demos"?

thanx bros for your replies.

Cos i work in sales lines before. seal can be faked and dealers can have spare seal of their "own".

kia si is one thing, got warranty. but i hate to have the kind of kanna cheated feelings.

if is brand new n still spoil is cos of heng suay le. but if is due to the salesperson unethical actions, then will angry loh. tats y wanna check b4 buy mah.

Default Re: How 2 check whether ur newly bought dslr is totally new at not "demos"?

Quote Originally Posted by sheng89 View Post
    thanx bros for your replies.

Cos i work in sales lines before. seal can be faked and dealers can have spare seal of their "own".

kia si is one thing, got warranty. but i hate to have the kind of kanna cheated feelings.

if is brand new n still spoil is cos of heng suay le. but if is due to the salesperson unethical actions, then will angry loh. tats y wanna check b4 buy mah.
    Wow, i never knew that you dealers had seals to just put on and "fake" it. Now im starting to worry.

Hmm anyways, i really dont think you are EVER EVER going to get a "virgin" camera. Dont forget the factory process. Workers get their hands all over the cameras, maybe even take a shot or two. So if you expect to get a minty fresh one for your "Virgin" needs, then i think you might need to pay a visit to the nikon Manufacturing plant and wait right at the end of the mechanical production line and once the camera pops up from the belt, pick it up and snap a shot! (Now your all happy )

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    my quote to hongwen37 is about buying a "virgin equipment" not about buying from end user or shop...you got to get the nature of the post correct first before you got detour off the main concern here in this topic. No disrespect bro...

And BTW, remenber there is a thing call warrenty...I think the shop will also ask you go NSC too instead of giving you a 1-1 exchange (unless you know the shop very well or you are a major buyer of lens & equipment from the shop). Or you spot the problem before you leave the shop.
    sigh.....i always knew i got a problem with comprehension

Jus to share, as far as i know there are some boxes that could be opened from the bottom. So the seal will eventually be intact, used to work in a electronic stores and thats how they do it. opsss :x
    D80

I had a purchase experience at GainCity Marina buying a P&S. The salesperson will not allow shutter test of those in boxed unit" unless you have agreed to buy the unit. To me there is a separation between demo and sales set.

However I cannot say it is a definite store operation model.

For some reason, virgin, wife and bride will always come up when this topic of zero shutter count is discussed. Lets be honest, your gf or wife is a human, someone who you talk about love, understanding and feeling, so how can it be the same as a camera? I mean who doesn't have a past, be it good or bad?

A camera is just an object that you buy with your money, how wrong can it be to expect to receive a brand new camera when you pay the retail price of a brand new unit? For the same price, will you prefer to get a camera body that is really brand new or one that has been tested by 10+ previous customers with a shutter count of 500?

Yup, we do test cameras in shops to decide whether to buy it or not, but in that case, shouldn't the shops themselves have demo units to let the customers try and then SELL a brand new set to the customer when the customer has decided? Perhaps like buying cars, computers, gps or every other thing in life, you go to the shop try their demo unit, you pay, they give you a brand new unit to test on the spot, got problem, change, no problem you go home and be happy. Few months down any issue, it is just you suai, got a lemon. Personally I think lens has got some variation between copies, but different copies of the body don't differ that much right?

TBH, a shutter count of 100 or so for a brand new body is totally acceptable because confirm got some CBK will go shop there burst camera or try for fun with no intention of buying.

I had a bad experience with a certain shop before, it was a reputable and popular shop around town area. They didn't allow me to test the camera before I decide to buy, cannot even touch, can only see. So I assumed that the set they were going to sell me will be brand new. So tested the unit, paid up and was happy, but alas, I discovered that the camera had a shutter count of almost 500 when I reached home. To make things worse, the camera even came with a tag that you usually see on a display set. Of course, file number was already reseted by the shop before they sold it to me. Firmware was the very first version which means that unit was like at least 8-9months old. My biggest complain was that the staff didn't allow people to test before deciding to buy, how come the body can come with a shutter count of almost 500. If 100+ shuttercount or a newly released model still ok, but isn't 400+ a bit too high for a camera that has been out of market for 10months?

I sent an e-mail to complain about my experience and the manager promptly replied and claim it was a "mistake" made by his staff and that he didn't have current stock because all his stock are out at some road show. He offered a 1-for-1 replacement of the body and even free home delivery when I mentioned that I did not have the time to go down for replacement. Funny thing was delivery of the replacement was not done by that chain stores' typical delivery guys, but by a "part-time" person. Not that I really care since I got a replacement and indeed the replacement was zero shuttercount.

Some will say camera shutter so cheap to replace and 500 photos compared to 100k shutter life is like so insignificant, but come to think of it, will you buy a car at brand new price with 500km(of unknown driving style) on the odometer when you can buy the same model at the same price with 5km on the odometer? I mean come on, the 500km compared to the 100,000km you can clock before needing timing belt replacement is so insignificant loh, anyway singapore so small, probably change to new model before even doing 50,000km on the car...
    Last edited by NewbieInCS; 29th August 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Well, I guess it is hard to find virgin cameras as I typically test 3 to 4 cameras with my lens before I decide which to pick. And I know I am not the only one that does that. I ever asked the shop if their other customers will complain, they say "no", as they know how to reset the unit. Even for demo sets they rest the unit and pack in new packing and will be sold as new. Shutter count can be reset with a software.

I remember testing out 4 1DM3 busting them at 10FPS for 2 -3 secs to hear the shutter sound and checking for Front and back focusing before deciding on which unit to get. The shops are more then willing for me to test it!

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Did you?
    well I don't really ask for past sexual experiences. Its not very cool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    ..... I typically test 3 to 4 cameras with my lens before I decide which to pick.

I remember testing out 4 1DM3 busting them at 10FPS for 2 -3 secs to hear the shutter sound and checking for Front and back focusing before deciding on which unit to get. .........

the Camera Casanova speaks....

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew View Post
    sigh.....i always knew i got a problem with comprehension
    I can comprehened that...
    A photo is an art painted by light.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    For some reason, virgin, wife and bride will always come up when this topic of zero shutter count is discussed. Lets be honest, your gf or wife is a human, someone who you talk about love, understanding and feeling, so how can it be the same as a camera? I mean who doesn't have a past, be it good or bad?

A camera is just an object that you buy with your money, how wrong can it be to expect to receive a brand new camera when you pay the retail price of a brand new unit? For the same price, will you prefer to get a camera body that is really brand new or one that has been tested by 10+ previous customers with a shutter count of 500?

Yup, we do test cameras in shops to decide whether to buy it or not, but in that case, shouldn't the shops themselves have demo units to let the customers try and then SELL a brand new set to the customer when the customer has decided? Perhaps like buying cars, computers, gps or every other thing in life, you go to the shop try their demo unit, you pay, they give you a brand new unit to test on the spot, got problem, change, no problem you go home and be happy. Few months down any issue, it is just you suai, got a lemon. Personally I think lens has got some variation between copies, but different copies of the body don't differ that much right?

TBH, a shutter count of 100 or so for a brand new body is totally acceptable because confirm got some CBK will go shop there burst camera or try for fun with no intention of buying.

I had a bad experience with a certain shop before, it was a reputable and popular shop around town area. They didn't allow me to test the camera before I decide to buy, cannot even touch, can only see. So I assumed that the set they were going to sell me will be brand new. So tested the unit, paid up and was happy, but alas, I discovered that the camera had a shutter count of almost 500 when I reached home. To make things worse, the camera even came with a tag that you usually see on a display set. Of course, file number was already reseted by the shop before they sold it to me. Firmware was the very first version which means that unit was like at least 8-9months old. My biggest complain was that the staff didn't allow people to test before deciding to buy, how come the body can come with a shutter count of almost 500. If 100+ shuttercount or a newly released model still ok, but isn't 400+ a bit too high for a camera that has been out of market for 10months?

I sent an e-mail to complain about my experience and the manager promptly replied and claim it was a "mistake" made by his staff and that he didn't have current stock because all his stock are out at some road show. He offered a 1-for-1 replacement of the body and even free home delivery when I mentioned that I did not have the time to go down for replacement. Funny thing was delivery of the replacement was not done by that chain stores' typical delivery guys, but by a "part-time" person. Not that I really care since I got a replacement and indeed the replacement was zero shuttercount.

Some will say camera shutter so cheap to replace and 500 photos compared to 100k shutter life is like so insignificant, but come to think of it, will you buy a car at brand new price with 500km(of unknown driving style) on the odometer when you can buy the same model at the same price with 5km on the odometer? I mean come on, the 500km compared to the 100,000km you can clock before needing timing belt replacement is so insignificant loh, anyway singapore so small, probably change to new model before even doing 50,000km on the car...
    I like your writting...I was abit lazy to write such a long explaination...but you did it for me (and those who share the same POV). Thumbs up for you.
    A photo is an art painted by light.

i think, not more than 100 is fine.

after all, in factory also sometimes got fire.

of course something like few hundred not acceptable lor.. siao.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    Great point. Thanks for pointing that out, and I agree with you. For some people, it may not matter (based on response). For the TS, obviously it does. Thus I disagree with the points from others that shutter count don't really matter, because to the TS, it does. Like you said, new is new, opened before is opened before. I myself don't mind if opened before but we should respect the views of those who do.

Otherwise, might as well just go CS Personal Classified and look for those people buy 1-2 weeks and reselling.

I don't care what kind of condition the camera is in just as long as the serial no. is auspicious.

My 1Ds MK3 is 1688888888.
    My 5D MK2 is 4888888888.
    My D3 lagi best 8888888.

Beat that!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123