Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How 2 check whether ur newly bought dslr is totally new at not "demos"?

Default Re: How 2 check whether ur newly bought dslr is totally new at not "demos"?

i don't think any shop will allow the customer to touch the sensor... makes no sense to feel the sensor before purchasing? or even worse drop the whole camera... then they'll probably ask the person to buy the camera instead of packing it back and sell to the next unlucky one that comes by... as always it all depends on the ethics of the shop already..

at the end of the day its another chicken and egg story...

-when we wanna buy, we wanna test/ feel..
    -if no testing, we complain...
    -if we test and don't buy, shop owner cannot complain..
    -if we get the tested set, we complain again or demand for a discount...
    -if shop sets aside a set for testing.. they have to absorb the drop in profit margin for those that try and don't buy.. (again... they cannot complain)

Default Re: How 2 check whether ur newly bought dslr is totally new at not "demos"?

Quote Originally Posted by hongwen37 View Post
    If the one that has been taken with 5 shots has no visible defects, i dont mind getting that...

Therefore my answer will be "i will take whatever is given to me, provided the two sets are the same... minus the fact that one set has been tested"

So, whats your answer to my question?
    You are different from most ppl bro...who would rather get a new one than a already used 5 shot one for the same RRP... Ok than I can sell you my 18-105 at RRP if you want, then I go buy a new 18-105 at RRP...
    A photo is an art painted by light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    You are different from most ppl bro...who would rather get a new one than a already used 5 shot one for the same RRP... Ok than I can sell you my 18-105 at RRP if you want, then I go buy a new 18-105 at RRP...

Haa.. 5 shots only still ok... think my tolerance is up to 50 shots.. after which, i wont consider it to be new and will bargain for a lower price as it is "not new anymore"...

Actually... dont bother so much whether your toy has been touched before.. As long as it is working fine, the most important thing is to keep shooting and learning...

Quote Originally Posted by hayleymyzee View Post
    i don't think any shop will allow the customer to touch the sensor... makes no sense to feel the sensor before purchasing? or even worse drop the whole camera... then they'll probably ask the person to buy the camera instead of packing it back and sell to the next unlucky one that comes by... as always it all depends on the ethics of the shop already..

at the end of the day its another chicken and egg story...

-when we wanna buy, we wanna test/ feel..
    -if no testing, we complain...
    -if we test and don't buy, shop owner cannot complain..
    -if we get the tested set, we complain again or demand for a discount...
    -if shop sets aside a set for testing.. they have to absorb the drop in profit margin for those that try and don't buy.. (again... they cannot complain)

kinda of agree with you..but I do saw once at best denki (when I was shopping for my D90)that a man remove the lens and look inside (at the sensor ba I think) then just before his finger touch the sensor the salesman stop him...think again if the salesman did nothing. There is many diff ppl around us...whom some might not act/think as normal (atleast to us).

Nevertheless...this debate will be a cycle. my verdit is I will prefer a brand new set rather than a demo set even the demo set is few 10 dollars cheaper.

Haa.. 5 shots only still ok... think my tolerance is up to 50 shots.. after which, i wont consider it to be new and will bargain for a lower price as it is "not new anymore"...

Actually... dont bother so much whether your toy has been touched before.. As long as it is working fine, the most important thing is to keep shooting and learning...
    Now I have left with no alternative but to accept it (be it virgin or not).

Another advise for bro who is going to buy any camera. Go alone, for me it was a unitentationl shopping ocassion that i came across this HN where they still have stock for the D90. My baby was crying and daughter was running about...they got most of my attention rather than looking at the salesman opening the box or did he set the date time for me...I not sure.

Dude, the warranty starts after you have made the purchase. No need to be so 'kia-see".

Let me ask which is more important?

1) Getting a new set with seal nice nice but later found out that there are some internal problems with the set and have to bring for servicing?

or

2) Getting a set that is a little used and has been tested a bit to be working fine?
    You've forgotten the other 2 possibilities:

3) Getting a new set, smell the 'new' smell, feel very happy, shoot like crazy, no problems

and

4) Getting a set that is a little used, and later found out that there are some small scratches or some internal problems with the set and have to bring for servicing.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by lordpain View Post
    Dude, the warranty starts after you have made the purchase. No need to be so 'kia-see".
    This is not kia-see. New set is new set, warranty is warranty. New set means you're getting a unit out directly from the Canon factory. Warranty is to protect what you have bought. When we all paid so much for a DSLR, we all want it to be brand new, rather than a set one thousand people have touched it before. You want?

If it's brand new and later got problems, then that's another issue, but at least TS opened it new and that's his luck in getting a sour lemon.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post

3) Getting a new set, smell the 'new' smell, feel very happy, shoot like crazy, no problems

and

4) Getting a set that is a little used, and later found out that there are some small scratches or some internal problems with the set and have to bring for servicing.

Ya.. there are other possibilties.. But what i am trying to say is, a seal is not a guarantee that the camera is working fine (that's where the warranty comes in like you said)... We should not worry so much about "nobody touch before" but spending more time taking photos or reading..

Ya.. there are other possibilties.. But what i am trying to say is, a seal is not a guarantee that the camera is working fine (that's where the warranty comes in like you said)... We should not worry so much about "nobody touch before" but spending more time taking photos or reading..
    Don't agree. We spend so much money on a DSLR, why do we have to receive a unit that so many people have touched before (or even knocked/dropped before)?

Yes, a seal is not a guarantee that a camera is working fine, but at least the buyer knows that it's a unit right from the factory, without third parties in between. If it's a faulty new set, then so be it. That's where warranty/7-day 1-1 exchange (if there is) comes in.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    Only way is to buy from reputable shops such as CP and have a peace of mind.
    CP is also sneaky. I trusted them as I always buy from them. So when I got my new 500D fm CP-M, I didn't bother to check.

When I got home and power up, the time and date is set WRONG!!!
    And when I push the menu button, the last selection is at RESET SETTING.
    The filename for my first shot is #104.

The unit is ok, but can't help feeling damn lousy. Especially when I've double asked for a brand new unit. I bought from Sam, and I don't think he will sabo me. Perhaps other staff open for demo and pack back ?

weird, i have brought several sets of dslr from 5 to 6 shops, non comes with a seal what so ever tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post

and

i think i really have no issues with this unless the set has been returned for being faulty etc and passed on to me.

anyways, i know what you mean - of course an entirely untouched set would , by logic, be less likely to malfunction due to user mishandling.. but what i'm saying is that, if just one or two people touch before you.. frankly speaking, from the pragmatic point of view it doesn't really matter much.

anyhow, everyone has different standards of acceptance and maybe it is not acceptable to you. just stating a point of view. after all, when i shoot off 5 more frames, or even 100 more, it is just frames mar..

Let me ask you again...
    Would you want to buy my nikkor 18-105mm VR at RRP...I had test it for 5 shot only...all shot is nice. OR would you go buy a brand new one at RRP.
    [Assuming you are looking for a 18-105mm VR lens]

In such a case, buying from you and a brand new one has the same risk, because with all due respect, the lens is only as good as your word. But if I buy from a reputable shop, there is a place to go back to if something do go wrong with the "new" lens, but buying from an end user, the option is not available.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew View Post
    In such a case, buying from you and a brand new one has the same risk, because with all due respect, the lens is only as good as your word. But if I buy from a reputable shop, there is a place to go back to if something do go wrong with the "new" lens, but buying from an end user, the option is not available.
    my quote to hongwen37 is about buying a "virgin equipment" not about buying from end user or shop...you got to get the nature of the post correct first before you got detour off the main concern here in this topic. No disrespect bro...

And BTW, remenber there is a thing call warrenty...I think the shop will also ask you go NSC too instead of giving you a 1-1 exchange (unless you know the shop very well or you are a major buyer of lens & equipment from the shop). Or you spot the problem before you leave the shop.

Siao liao...when I bought from HN. No seal...No prompt to set date & time....
    Same same!! I bought from HN, no seal and no prompt to set date & time. Plus the first shot I took, file name was 0012.

But oh well, at least my camera is working fine anyways

Everyone wants to test a set before buying, but nobody wants to buy a set that has been test before.

Blog Entries

want to marry a virgin but dont mind de-flowering other's future wife ?? tsk tsk tsk
    Last edited by ed9119; 28th August 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain View Post
    wow, like asking if my bride is a virgin?
    Demo bride?

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    want to marry a virgin but dont mind de-flowering other's future wife ?? tsk tsk tsk
    everyone wants to marry virgins..

then die la, all the tested wives how, throw them into snake pit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast