Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backdrops

Default Re: Backdrops

Ok, will post the requested, when I find some time to pop by "george rd".

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    rubyyyyy

backdrop usually came in 9ft or 52-53" these 2 sizes
    for cheaper alternative u can go to george road at lavender and get canvas as backdrop
    u can get it cheaper than $60 and bigger but less than 9ft
    done that before, will rather top up another $30++ to get some muslin backdrops from PQ23, save the trouble of swing the end and painting the backdrop.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by ThomT View Post
    Thanks Catchlights and Zeisser! I already have the backdrop supports and 2 rolls of fabric backdrop, just that they crumple easily an hard to roll them back properly to prevent crumple. I also have a roll of paper ones which are much much better and they were given to me by a pro photog friend.

Dream Merchant, thanks for your input. Appreciate it!
    you are welcome.
    if you are referring to plain color cotton backdrop, it is hard to prevent creased, best to just use it hang loosely.

btw, is King George's Avenue, around the HDB block 801, those shops supply canopy for tenting. you also able to find nylon materials for DIY lighting softbox here.

not george road

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you are welcome.
    if you are referring to plain color cotton backdrop, it is hard to prevent creased, best to just use it hang loosely.
    Hi all, one of the ways i use the plain color cotton backdrop is to fire the flash from behind the cotton cloth rather than in front of it. This means light comes from behind the cloth rather than on the same side of model, photographer. This makes the backdrop into a giant light box rather than showing the crease.

I dont have the exact pic to show you but i hope some of the behind the scenes video helps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-y3QTv8dTg

another sample (Note the model is lited with one light box on the right and one umbrella on the left and the background is achieved with the same effect i mentioned:

- Jacephoto
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

btw, is King George's Avenue, around the HDB block 801, those shops supply canopy for tenting. you also able to find nylon materials for DIY lighting softbox here.

not george road
    Haha! Thanks for pointing that out catchlights. I would have gotten lost if I had gone down.

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    Hi all, one of the ways i use the plain color cotton backdrop is to fire the flash from behind the cotton cloth rather than in front of it. This means light comes from behind the cloth rather than on the same side of model, photographer. This makes the backdrop into a giant light box rather than showing the crease.

I dont have the exact pic to show you but i hope some of the behind the scenes video helps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-y3QTv8dTg

another sample (Note the model is lited with one light box on the right and one umbrella on the left and the background is achieved with the same effect i mentioned:

- Jacephoto
    Now that's what I call "Idea"! Thanks for sharing this technique. Unfortunately the current white backdrop I using is too thick.

So back to the question. Besides Ruby and Cathay, is there no where else that sells PAPER backdrops?

not george road
    Out Track a bit:

1. How to choose the material for DIY softbox: Color? Thinkness? Is there any grade of material to tell the boss of shop?

2. Is the same material can be use to DIY an umbralla?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stepwalker View Post
    Out Track a bit:

1. How to choose the material for DIY softbox: Color? Thinkness? Is there any grade of material to tell the boss of shop?

2. Is the same material can be use to DIY an umbralla?

Thanks
    there are many types of white and black color nylon cloth, you have to found out which is more suitable for you, that is the what DIY all about, got beta 1, beta 2, beta 3 etc.... anyway, the shop owner are not photographer, how would they know what material to use?

lighting umbrella already so cheap, and some people ever mention about getting white umbrella from $2.00 shops, why still to diy?

As for jacephoto's method
    just get a shower curtain from ikea at $6 ...

done that before, will rather top up another $30++ to get some muslin backdrops from PQ23, save the trouble of swing the end and painting the backdrop.
    actually i want white, am doing the shot in high key.
    i also don want to have any cease in the photo

don think i am able to transport the 9feet from my home to my client place... ?
    so i get something smaller to fix into a london cab. probably <= 5ft?

any better solution? or i just get a smaller one from ruby and DI if i need to.

As for jacephoto's method
    just get a shower curtain from ikea at $6 ...
    To be precise... its the SAXAN shower curtain 180cm x 200cm from ikea. Works great at diffusing light

want a pure white backdrop on the go?

yes, got one perfect solution. but very very very expensive.

not george road
    haha
    okie .. think tml i go there see see if i got time

So back to the question. Besides Ruby and Cathay, is there no where else that sells PAPER backdrops?
    just now i go to orient photo
    they got 3m by 6m one .. but is not paper. $85
    but they don have small one

looks like the one tago tech used to sell
    which is also the one i have .. i dono what material is that

Soey, I went to Ruby, they only left overs, i.e. Not full roll. They asking for $50 instead of $60. It's the 4.5' ones and only a couple of colors left. They seemed pretty old to me, but they have no white color. Cathay carries the Savage brands ones, good quality. Lots of colors available for $55. Bought it there.

My home studio has white wall, and I shoot 2 flash @ 1/16 power and it comepletely washes them white. However, i can't do full lenght shoot as my floor is parquet.

Jace, just visited your site and book, I really enjoyed your work. Would like to learn more from you.

Soey, I went to Ruby, they only left overs, i.e. Not full roll. They asking for $50 instead of $60. It's the 4.5' ones and only a couple of colors left. They seemed pretty old to me, but they have no white color. Cathay carries the Savage brands ones, good quality. Lots of colors available for $55. Bought it there.

My home studio has white wall, and I shoot 2 flash @ 1/16 power and it comepletely washes them white. However, i can't do full lenght shoot as my floor is parquet.
    cant do full length?
    isnt the paper suppose to be 36feet long ..

vince123123
    Guests

Wah I went B&H to see, damn ex. HOpe some China knockoff comes out. I see its basically just two reflectors back to back and held by supporting structures; shd be easy since the china guys have already made such large reflectors :P

want a pure white backdrop on the go?

yes, got one perfect solution. but very very very expensive.

cant do full length?
    isnt the paper suppose to be 36feet long ..
    Now can, cos bought the white backdrop as well... Wat I meant earlier was before I got the backdrop, can't do full length.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast