Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to keep the white building white?

Default Re: How to keep the white building white?

Taking good architectural photos is more than just slapping on a few filters, hoping for the best. You have to take into consideration a few different aspects to make the shot work. You have to consider the time of the shot taken, the direction of the source of light and the quality of ambient lighting you are getting. Usually, its more of when you shoot the building instead of what you put in front of the lens or what you do after you shoot the photo.

From the 1st photo, its obvious that the sun is shining from the side of the building and you were photographing the facade which does not get much light. In this instance, even if you able to extract details from the shadowed, the photo will appear flat and bland. Having an ND grad filter will prevent the sky from being overexposed but it will not improve the quality of light falling on the building.

Judging from the sun position, you were shooting around noon time? That's usually not a good time of the day as the sunlight is strong, harsh and very unforgiving. Depending on the orientation of the building, the best timing is usually 7:30 to 10:00 in the morning or 5:00 to 6:30 in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Taking good architectural photos is more than just slapping on a few filters, hoping for the best. You have to take into consideration a few different aspects to make the shot work. You have to consider the time of the shot taken, the direction of the source of light and the quality of ambient lighting you are getting. Usually, its more of when you shoot the building instead of what you put in front of the lens or what you do after you shoot the photo.

From the 1st photo, its obvious that the sun is shining from the side of the building and you were photographing the facade which does not get much light. In this instance, even if you able to extract details from the shadowed, the photo will appear flat and bland. Having an ND grad filter will prevent the sky from being overexposed but it will not improve the quality of light falling on the building.

Judging from the sun position, you were shooting around noon time? That's usually not a good time of the day as the sunlight is strong, harsh and very unforgiving. Depending on the orientation of the building, the best timing is usually 7:30 to 10:00 in the morning or 5:00 to 6:30 in the evening.
    Yup, it's shot at very strong direct like, very unflattering..
    Agree with the statement re: light on the building, thanks!

actually if the photo have enough dynamic range--RAW, the highlight details can be revive by using Gradient filter. the level example is a simple demo, the are more than one way to photoshop provided the hightlight is not blown out.

hmm...i were you, i will shoot in raw. Then using Canon DPP software I will adjust the white balance (warmer or cooler temperature) until the wall becomes white enough for me.

I do this for night shots as well when sometimes the light becomes too yellow for my liking.

Cheers

Mahathir
    Only in death, I shall be truly liberated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12