Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: shooting outside shopping malls?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    39

    Default shooting outside shopping malls?

    Hi there!
    i was planning to have a photoshoot just outside some of the malls in orchard rd? will be collaborating with a stylist. not for commercial use. but for our own portfolio. was wondering if i can just normally do my thing outside the malls or is there anything that i should take note of. like some procedure etc. do advice me on this matter. thanks!

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    Search the forum for 'shopping mall', your topic has been discussed lengthy just recently.

  3. #3

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    If the mall façade is included, you'd better have requested permission from the management. I've been commissioned to shoot about 15 malls here and even though I had permission, at every mall, I still had to report to the security for a pass. That said, I've seen people shooting without any passes or anything... but well, you never know what you can end up to... afterall, they're private properties.

  4. #4

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    be prepare to be shoo by security guard... they will just use security as an excuse to shoo you off....

  5. #5

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    Obtain a permit and pass. You are ok

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    Please register for a pass.

    So when a terror event takes place at the mall, they know where to check

  7. #7
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    you can simply ignore the so called security guards if you're outside the mall's grounds. they have no authority to interfere with what the public do outside the mall.
    eat. drink. shoot

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    If the mall façade is included, you'd better have requested permission from the management. I've been commissioned to shoot about 15 malls here and even though I had permission, at every mall, I still had to report to the security for a pass. That said, I've seen people shooting without any passes or anything... but well, you never know what you can end up to... afterall, they're private properties.
    If you are outside the mall, are you still on their private property?

    If you are outside my house gate, how can I possibly say you are trespassing?

  9. #9

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    If you are outside the mall, are you still on their private property?
    Actually, you could be.

    In many cases, esp along Orchard Rd, the private/public property boundaries extend beyond the buildings themselves, sometimes well beyond. Take Ngee Ann City, for example -- the large area around the fountain is private property.

    The boundaries are not always clear. I did a lot of the planning for a Starbucks Christmas Open House promo in 2007, and had the 'pleasure' of applying for permits to place 8 giant cups along Orchard (you may remember them -- they were a popular spot for photos ). SLA (Singapore Land Authority) maintains the records, and I heard that the boundaries change every now and then. I even found a little spot of land that SLA said was not public land, but which the building management said wasn't theirs either -- go figure!

    Now, if you're just shooting for yourself, dealing with the SLA may be more pain than you're willing to go through. Dealing with building management may not be much fun either -- some are better than others, but bearing in mind you aren't commissioned by a tenant, have no government affiliation and are not acting on behalf of a registered charity (all of which helped me!), you may not get much joy.

    Shooting from public land is probably far less bothersome, but beware of making too much of a nuisance and causing any obstruction to pedestrian traffic -- if there's a complaint, your shoot may be interrupted by the cops.

    I'd suggest that if security stops you, ask them where their property ends, and pull back to there -- as far as I remember, few of them own the land all the way to the walkways adjacent to the road.
    Or be sneaky: ask them if you can talk to the management, send one of your party in, and quickly finish your shoot.
    In either case, plan your shoot well and execute quickly -- don't linger.
    Last edited by Edwin Francis; 28th August 2009 at 09:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Actually, you could be.

    In many cases, esp along Orchard Rd, the private/public property boundaries extend beyond the buildings themselves, sometimes well beyond. Take Ngee Ann City, for example -- the large area around the fountain is private property.

    The boundaries are not always clear. I did a lot of the planning for a Starbucks Christmas Open House promo in 2007, and had the 'pleasure' of applying for permits to place 8 giant cups along Orchard (you may remember them -- they were a popular spot for photos ). SLA (Singapore Land Authority) maintains the records, and I heard that the boundaries change every now and then. I even found a little spot of land that SLA said was not public land, but which the building management said wasn't theirs either -- go figure!

    Now, if you're just shooting for yourself, dealing with the SLA may be more pain than you're willing to go through. Dealing with building management may not be much fun either -- some are better than others, but bearing in mind you aren't commissioned by a tenant, have no government affiliation and are not acting on behalf of a registered charity (all of which helped me!), you may not get much joy.

    Shooting from public land is probably far less bothersome, but beware of making too much of a nuisance and causing any obstruction to pedestrian traffic -- if there's a complaint, your shoot may be interrupted by the cops.

    I'd suggest that if security stops you, ask them where their property ends, and pull back to there -- as far as I remember, few of them own the land all the way to the walkways adjacent to the road.
    Or be sneaky: ask them if you can talk to the management, send one of your party in, and quickly finish your shoot.
    In either case, plan your shoot well and execute quickly -- don't linger.
    Mmm I see. Thanks for the insight.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: shooting outside shopping malls?

    Thanks guys for all the advice. I really appreciate it! I will take note of that..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •