Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon D700 or D300, Fx or Dx

Default Re: Nikon D700 or D300, Fx or Dx

For your query about the technical aspect of the cameras, you may read the below links. I searched them just by typing D700 review in google.

I believe no one in the world knows what you need better than yourself. They can only help you by comparing the cameras and tell you the pros and cons. But this will be easier for you to do research on your own and ask what you do not know. Read up about everything you can find about the bodies, sit back have a cup of drink of your choice and think carefully of what you really need.

Hope the links below helps.

http://www.bythom.com Please search on the cameras in the site.
    http://www.kenrockwell.comPlease search on the cameras in the site. Some people have bad comment about the person who set up the sites. Just read with an open mind.
    http://www.dpreview.comPlease search on the cameras in the site.
    http://http://www.luminous-landscape...ras/d700.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Full Frame the main advantage is when taking ultra wide angle shots.
    Something which, to an extent, has been partially overcome with UWA rectilinear lenses going as wide as 10mm now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Koh
    Hi friends,
    I am thinking to upgrade my current camera D90 to D700 (full frame being the latest trend).
    On the other hand, I was told that D300 is most popular on Dx format at their current price range. Whereas D700 is the new Fx trend. My present Nikon lenses can be used on D700 as they are not Dx specified.

Can anyone advise on the D700 as compare to D300 in terms of technical and the practical advantage. Also, any idea of new Nikon Fx model after D700.

The other current Fx model is D3 but price is too high compare to D700.
    Is D3 worth buying since D700 is available?

Alan Koh.
    Please do go ahead to buy the latest D700!

Just remember that when the replacement to the D700 comes out (and believe me, it'll come out soon enough), that will then become the latest trend, so you should upgrade once more, and sell off your D700 in the personal classifieds section

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
    Exploring! :)

the biggest difference from d90 to d700 will be the viewfinder size and the much better high iso perfomance which opens up more possibilities.

Smile Re: Nikon D700 or D300, Fx or Dx

There is another factor to consider - the "feel good" factor, which is the emotional part. Other than technical features, the "feel good" factor is a strong benefit that owners associate with. I have the F3 (still have) and when I moved to digital, I bought the D70S and used it extensively for my travels with the 18-200 lens. It was excellent, and did the job well. Then I bought the D300, and before I could really settle down with it, the D700 came out and being the FX model, which is close to the D3 but at a very reduced price, I upgraded to the D700. I am still discovering the capabilities of the D700 with the 24-70 lens. Do I really need the D700 - probably not, as the D300 is also excellent. Am I having fun with the D700 - certainly yes. Did I regret upgrading - definitely not. Sometimes let you heart dictates, and not always your head. Have fun with either the 300 or 700 (or even the 90).

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Please do go ahead to buy the latest D700!

Just remember that when the replacement to the D700 comes out (and believe me, it'll come out soon enough), that will then become the latest trend, so you should upgrade once more, and sell off your D700 in the personal classifieds section

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
    you can't fight the posibilities that any dslr u buying is will come out with an upgraded/improved version. even if u buy the upgraded version....there will be another improved version a few years later, but remember sometimes upgraded doesn't necessarily mean better...all it sometimes meant is more expensive....

TS, my advise get the D700....it's just a matter of time you'll be poison by ff dslr...don't fight it.
    wait for upgrade version or not...it's up 2 u...doesn't really matter to me

happy shopping.....
    Last edited by RezzShaz; 28th August 2009 at 10:14 PM.
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

It really depends on the type of photography you like most. For instance, if what makes you tick is landscape, family, low light, then the D700 is the way to go. On the other hand, if you enjoy bird or macro photography, you may consider staying with your D90. The cropped sensor is then useful to increase the magnification of the lens.

Exactly what I have been saying too, Alan.

If you long for it and can afford it, go for it.

My wife once longs for an "above average" Rolex. As I couldn't afford one, I settled for an Omega. Well, you know the ending ... I ended up buying the Rolex NOT SOON AFTER.

Needs and Wants seldom go hand in hand.

Ref: a recent article...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...d-afford.shtml

Now don't tell me about body depreciating faster... lens first, blah! blah! blah! Wanna talk investment, depreciation, we have better stuff... assets, etc

You long for it, DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick965 View Post
    There is another factor to consider - the "feel good" factor, which is the emotional part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick965 View Post
    Do I really need the D700 - probably not, as the D300 is also excellent. Am I having fun with the D700 - certainly yes. Did I regret upgrading - definitely not. Sometimes let you heart dictates, and not always your head. Have fun with either the 300 or 700 (or even the 90).
    Last edited by yyD70S; 28th August 2009 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the above mentioned subject.

The D90 will remain as my second camera and can be used by my family members.
    Therefore it is only logical to go for the next level in purchasing a new camera.
    The question is D700 or D300?

As for lenses, I invested only on high quality ones in Nikon ranges (from Macro, portrait, wide-angle to telephoto lens). For this reason I am stuck with Nikon. Today my personal
    preference is the German lenses in terms of color quality and durability. But it is now too costly for me to make changes to my whole setup. Anyway I don't see the need to do so. Photography is only a hobby it is not a business for me. Whatever small imperfections (10% to 15%) can always be corrected through Photoshop.

As for video on still camera, I always prefer a high-end video camera as a seperate unit.
    The rumour on D700X is that it incorporate video function. But that is not my cup of tea.

After going through the specifications between D700 and D300, and not too great a price difference, I decided the D700 as my choice. When to buy? In Sept 09 I expected a Nikon promotion in the coming trade show. So I wait for a week or two. Maybe some price reduction or some freebies throw-in.

Once again thanks to all who contributes to this forum.

Alan Koh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Koh View Post

Therefore it is only logical to go for the next level in purchasing a new camera.

As for lenses, I invested only on high quality ones in Nikon ranges (from Macro, portrait, wide-angle to telephoto lens). For this reason I am stuck with Nikon. Today my personal
    preference is the German lenses in terms of color quality and durability. But it is now too costly for me to make changes to my whole setup. Anyway I don't see the need to do so. Photography is only a hobby it is not a business for me. Whatever small imperfections (10% to 15%) can always be corrected through Photoshop.

As for video on still camera, I always prefer a high-end video camera as a seperate unit.
    The rumour on D700X is that it incorporate video function. But that is not my cup of tea.

After going through the specifications between D700 and D300, and not too great a price difference, I decided the D700 as my choice. When to buy? In Sept 09 I expected a Nikon promotion in the coming trade show. So I wait for a week or two. Maybe some price reduction or some freebies throw-in.

Alan Koh.

I think is a safer bet on having FX body since u already hv a DX body. Just nid to plan/realign ur lens setup so u can get max benefit on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Koh View Post

Alan Koh.
    Good choice......
    Welcome to the D700 family.....
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

Alan

Welcome to the D700 (and remember to fall-in with the D700 group).
    There is a significant difference between DX and FX.
    Discover and enjoy the fun of the D700, and not let the comparison between D300 and D700 bother you anymore now.
    When you go for your travel, and need a lighter camera to lug around, you can always use your D90 with the 18 - 200 VR lens. As a general all-purpose lens, and especially if you are with a group tour and packed with people, you can only point and shoot fast, this combination will be powerful. I still lug along only my D70S and 18-200 VR lens whenever I travel out of the country (and besides, it is of a lower profile and reduce the extent of loss through damage in transit or theft).

[QUOTE=Alan Koh;5392152]Thanks to everyone who commented on the above mentioned subject.

I started with am FM2(rusted due to lack of care) and since upgraded to d300. 5 mths after the d300, then came d700. Should i follow the heart or the crowd? Seems that i need to stretch out the d300 for a while longer d4 going to the d700. Of course the next level of upgrade would be the d700 or the d3. if u already own a dx would definately good to go fx.

i would agree to the d700 if cash is not an issue since u invested in some good lenses. enjoy the fx.

If i am not wrong Nikon has launched the D300s (basically D300 with video).

For your case, if the difference in the quality of german lens or nikon lens is not material, then i don't see why you need to upgrade. As a non-professional, DX format is better in the sense that lenses are light, camera is cheap () at the expense of not having a higher res FF.

D90 is a very capable camera already and will be sufficient for your needs. If you want your family member to use another camera, get a compact or even a beginner SLR.

By buying D700 and keeping D90, u eneded need both DX and FX lens...

Having owned both, the D700 is everything I wanted my D300 to be when I brought it. I was very dissappointed with the D300 in terms of image quality, the D700 is leaps and bounds ahead of it. Never regretted switching up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12