Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ClubSNAP Photographer of the Year 2009 Competition - Theme 3 -"Fear, Terror & Fright"

Default Re: ClubSNAP Photographer of the Year 2009 Competition - Theme 3 -"Fear, Terror & Fri

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    There is really no need for human participation to be present.
    Objects can personifies humans, fireworks are one example as listed above. Metaphorically, anything can be humanified or at least relates to something of human element.

I don't see how the themes are genre-biased. When interpretations are left solely to the photographer, it is virtually impossible to justify that remark you made.
    It may be more difficult , but it is not restricting at all.
    actually it is possible but more difficult. up till now, i have only seen two fireworks shot that inspire me. one is by eikin. another i saw it someone else. i think probably 99% of the submitted works might not really meet that target, i guess...

i didn't enter the competition becos i realise i have nothing nikon yellow enough and to my satisfaction for submission, so effectively i'm striked out at round 1.

Default Re: ClubSNAP Photographer of the Year 2009 Competition - Theme 3 -"Fear, Terror & Fri

Still no idea on what to shoot for this theme. Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by Hammerklavier; 6th September 2009 at 11:26 PM.

...frankly speaking, I feel the judging is more consistent here than in a certain POTY of the C brand. Probably it is because this is run by people with real passion for photography, and not a marketing tool. Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danntbt View Post
    ...frankly speaking, I feel the judging is more consistent here than in a certain POTY of the C brand. Probably it is because this is run by people with real passion for photography, and not a marketing tool. Keep up the good work.
    Thank You

While we welcome suggestions. I was rather disappointed with insinuation here of "lucky draw" " and brand discrimination
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerklavier View Post
    Will non-Nikon participants be discriminated?

Worst of all is the PM spamming and harassment here

First PM which I did not reply
    Quote Originally Posted by triton13neptune
    Hi,

I just felt that this Clubsnap Photographer of the Year Competition is not really a competition but like a sort of a lucky draw. How did the judges pick the winners, we don't know. How did the judges grade the photos, we don't know. Frustrating!!! There are many photos that goes well the theme 2 (like the financial crises, school achievement but none of it get even a consolation). Most of the photos that won was very limited to "jumping man".

I know that you will not entertain this kind of concern, but just to give you some lights.
    Make this competition more credible. Be transparent.

Cheers
    Second PM which I still did not bother
    I was banned?
    third PM - which forced me to deregister this poster (whom I believe to have a few clones account in Buy and Sell)

The rules have already stated clearly and reminders were always given - yet even in the second theme there are many entries that were disqualified mainly : NO EXIF or NO EXIF INFORMATION MANUALLY INPUT (IF EXIF DOES NOT SHOW AUTOMATICALLY IN THE ENTRY)
    DATES OF PHOTOs was last year photo - please read the rules carefully.

A background to this competition.

The purpose of this competition is Simple - for the Members in ClubSNAP to enjoy and engage in photo competition.

The admin nor mods esp me has nothing to gain, Nikon do not pay us nor come to us to offer this competition. In fact, I mooted the idea, got admin approval and have to go to Nikon to convince them to sponsor CS with these prizes (at my own time, expenses - carparking ERP etc - not paid by anyone). Then every 2 months have to source for judges, look thru the hundreds of images online, sieve out the disqualified ones. Choose the images and ranked them. Then fix a date for meeting with the other judges to be held at Nikon Sg - Go thru the judging process, ie discussion argument as to which image is better etc - for a few hours, missing lunch all the time - again at own own expenses and time ie parking ERP food etc - no body pay the judges a single cents nor in kinds. All this are time which few are willing to spare for free for ONE YEAR - believe me.

Why am I mentioning this - hopefully to let members appreciate the hassle and trouble we go thru for this competition. Hopefully members can be more appreciative and not just giving thoughtless remarks and crying for transparency as if we have anything to hide, the only thing NOT transparent till now is the amount of sacrifices we went thru.

In any competition, there are a few thing the judging process will look for (not in order):

- is the submission within the rules ie qualify or not?

- Images that are eye catching or catches attention stand a better chance. With so many images to selected, the ones that catches the judges attention will stand a better chance. Sometime one may think that their image has alot of meaning - but do the judges "see it" ?Photography is visual and it must catches the attention of the judge. No point showing a picture and then explain it thu writing the why eg this girl was very happy relating to history etc. Caption helps to highlight the image not the other way round.

- Technical competency - There must be a minimun basic technical competency - ie exposure and also sharpness must be where sharpness is intended to be. There are some images we have seen are sharp in the background or else where except the subject. Even if it has a good composition, story and grab the attention can it be a 1st prize winning shot? enuf said

- Does the images visually convey theme or the photographer interpretation of the theme. Put yourself in the viewers point(one who knows nothing of what was in your mind or location to see the event) and check whether they can see what you saw or see from your point of view. Or can the picture brings out the theme or subject

Others points - include - Effort, difficulty, use of lights, Colors, evoke feeling .....

Hope this helps.

Whatever this still stand:

F) Judging

1. A Panel of Judges comprised of the ClubSNAP Administrators, representatives from Nikon Singapore, selected individuals of the Moderator team and independent distinguished photographers invited by ClubSNAP or Nikon Singapore will sit in on every judging.

2. The decision of the Panel of Judges is final.

3. The organizers will not enter into any correspondence regarding the judging or organization of the competition.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 21st September 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Take note of the dateline

Deadline for submission for entries will be midnight 4th Oct 2009
    (based on timestamp on Gallery server).

Entries are to be uploaded to the following section on the Gallery server :-

Fear, Terror and Fright Submission Gallery

Remember to login before uploading.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post

The purpose of this competition is Simple - for the Members in ClubSNAP to enjoy and engage in photo competition.

The admin nor mods esp me has nothing to gain, Nikon do not pay us nor come to us to offer this competition. In fact, I mooted the idea, got admin approval and have to go to Nikon to convince them to sponsor CS with these prizes (at my own time, expenses - carparking ERP etc - not paid by anyone). Then every 2 months have to source for judges, look thru the hundreds of images online, sieve out the disqualified ones. Choose the images and ranked them. Then fix a date for meeting with the other judges to be held at Nikon Sg - Go thru the judging process, ie discussion argument as to which image is better etc - for a few hours, missing lunch all the time - again at own own expenses and time ie parking ERP food etc - no body pay the judges a single cents nor in kinds. All this are time which few are willing to spare for free for ONE YEAR - believe me.

Why am I mentioning this - hopefully to let members appreciate the hassle and trouble we go thru for this competition. Hopefully members can be more appreciative and not just giving thoughtless remarks and crying for transparency as if we have anything to hide, the only thing NOT transparent till now is the amount of sacrifices we went thru.

In any competition, there are a few thing the judging process will look for (not in order):

- Images that are eye catching or catches attention stand a better chance. With so many images to selected, the ones that catches the judges attention will stand a better chance. Sometime one may think that their image has alot of meaning - but do the judges "see it" ?Photography is visual and it must catches the attention of the judge. No point showing a picture and then explain it thu writing the why eg this girl was very happy relating to history etc. Caption helps to highlight the image not the other way round.

- Technical competency - There must be a minimun basic technical competency - ie exposure and also sharpness must be where sharpness is intended to be. There are some images we have seen are sharp in the background or else where except the subject. Even if it has a good composition, story and grab the attention can it be a 1st prize winning shot? enuf said

- Does the images visually convey theme or the photographer interpretation of the theme. Put yourself in the viewers point(one who knows nothing of what was in your mind or location to see the event) and check whether they can see what you saw or see from your point of view. Or can the picture brings out the theme or subject

Others points - include - Effort, difficulty, use of lights, Colors, evoke feeling .....

Hope this helps.

F) Judging

1. A Panel of Judges comprised of the ClubSNAP Administrators, representatives from Nikon Singapore, selected individuals of the Moderator team and independent distinguished photographers invited by ClubSNAP or Nikon Singapore will sit in on every judging.

3. The organizers will not enter into any correspondence regarding the judging or organization of the competition.
    chill boss
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Blog Entries

Take note of the closing date ie. 4 Oct 09 - It is NEXT SUN ie incl today, there are 7 more days to go before closing

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    Thank You

While we welcome suggestions. I was rather disappointed with insinuation here of "lucky draw" " and brand discrimination .

Worst of all is the PM spamming and harassment here

First PM which I did not reply

Second PM which I still did not bother

third PM - which forced me to deregister this poster (whom I believe to have a few clones account in Buy and Sell)

The rules have already stated clearly and reminders were always given - yet even in the second theme there are many entries that were disqualified mainly : NO EXIF or NO EXIF INFORMATION MANUALLY INPUT (IF EXIF DOES NOT SHOW AUTOMATICALLY IN THE ENTRY)
    DATES OF PHOTOs was last year photo - please read the rules carefully.

Hope this helps.

F) Judging

I did CS and yourself has done a good job. Organising competition and such.. It's a thank-less task.

Keep up the good work.

P.s. On a personal note, it is always very interesting to see how other photographer intepret the theme. However, I would like to see lesser "staged" shots
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Blog Entries

Take note of the closing date ie. 4 Oct 09 - It is THIS SUN ie incl today, there are 4 more days to go before closing

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    P.s. On a personal note, it is always very interesting to see how other photographer intepret the theme. However, I would like to see lesser "staged" shots
    you mean salon photography?

so the entry is closing on 4th Oct 23:59 eh?
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II |My Photo Album

i think i can forget about joining this. Editing using Paintshop Pro 7, i am left with zero option to retain the EXIF info. Since manually adding the EXIF is disallowed, I can't enter,right?

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    i think i can forget about joining this. Editing using Paintshop Pro 7, i am left with zero option to retain the EXIF info. Since manually adding the EXIF is disallowed, I can't enter,right?
    can manually enter...rule #2...
    2. All images submitted must have the following information listed in the submission Either in EXIF information intact or manually input in the comments column of the Gallery (if no EXIF are embedded) showing the following information :-

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    you mean salon photography?
    Not restrictive to that. I think that it is sort of pointless if everyone asked their friends/relatives/pets to start doing jump just to display "Joy"

For this theme, at least I don't see any showing pictures of their friends/relatives/pets trying to look scared.

Maybe I am too critical. ha.

Though getting pets to do what you wanted could be an art by itself..
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Not restrictive to that. I think that it is sort of pointless if everyone asked their friends/relatives/pets to start doing jump just to display "Joy"

For this theme, at least I don't see any showing pictures of their friends/relatives/pets trying to look scared.

Maybe I am too critical. ha.

Though getting pets to do what you wanted could be an art by itself..
    well, then just take that they are doing commerical photography, which are also posed. if you see outside of your field, there isn't anything wrong. of cos, the results of asking their friends and relatives to pose may not be and probably will not be as good as natural expressions, but it can be as still be as good or better, depending on the subjects.
    Last edited by zoossh; 3rd October 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Take note of the closing date ie. 4 Oct 09 - It is TOMORROW (23:59) ie incl today, there are 1 more day to go before closing
    Last edited by chngpe01; 3rd October 2009 at 06:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Take note of the closing date ie. 4 Oct 09 - Last Day TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by rtbh View Post
    can manually enter...rule #2...
    2. All images submitted must have the following information listed in the submission Either in EXIF information intact or manually input in the comments column of the Gallery (if no EXIF are embedded) showing the following information :-
    it better to have the EXIF informations, accident do happens
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Blog Entries

Went thru some of the entries. Again, some still do not have EXIF including manual entry EXIF. By closing time, if still no EXIF, too bad it will be disqualified.

So please check you submission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12