Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 589101112152035 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos taken by a Pentax camera for tech. discussion - Season 0

Default Re: Photos taken by a Pentax camera for tech. discussion or links to your gallery pho

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't profess to know much about portraiture, but i did have some friends who shoot cosplay now and then - unlike the usual frowning upon on the big head syndrome from uwa, it seems to work sometimes in this particular field.

maybe you can give it a try sometime.
    I've seen some examples with extreme close-up (as close as MFD allows) and it looks like something from a fish-eye lens. But there needs to be a connection between the photographer and the subject, since most people freak out when something that huge gets thrusted into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    i dunno about portraiture as well, i only know XMM...

anyway most might think it does work very well. The few odd balls like me just doesn't cut it... UWA portraiture can work but not these few unfortunately... anyway i only how to make a pretty girl pretty... so take it a pinch of salt
    No worries. I'm still on the fence about UWA portraiture since there needs to be a fine balance of creativity vs weirdness. I prefer capturing portraits with my K135 for the 3d effect. But since I've decided to try out UWA + strobing recently, I'm slowly learning through mistakes.

Anybody wants to be my model during the next Pentax outing?
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Default Re: Photos taken by a Pentax camera for tech. discussion or links to your gallery pho

Quote Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
    I've seen some examples with extreme close-up (as close as MFD allows) and it looks like something from a fish-eye lens. But there needs to be a connection between the photographer and the subject, since most people freak out when something that huge gets thrusted into their face.
    Maybe try to achieve an effect similar to something like this
    My photos - see just some or all of it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Maybe try to achieve an effect similar to something like this
    I've tried that, but with 2 ppl at most.

Then again, the angle can provide distortions that really shorten the person behind...

Got hold of a cheap manual focus lens recently, the Sears 135mm f/2.8 (Mod No. 202).
    Unique thing about this lens is in addition to the usual manual focusing ring, there is a secondary macro ring at the front of the lens. There are 3 click stop settings on the macro ring that introduces varying degrees of softness, much like using a soft focus filter.
    The effect is much like the Pentax F/FA Soft 85mm. The soft effect gets more pronounced at wider apertures. Mine was for Ricoh mount but modded to work like an A lens. What a unique lens!

Normal

Softer
    Last edited by creampuff; 13th January 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Got hold of a cheap manual focus lens recently, the Sears 135mm f/2.8 (Mod No. 202).
    Unique thing about this lens is in addition to the usual manual focusing ring, there is a secondary macro ring at the front of the lens. There are 3 click stop settings on the macro ring that introduces varying degrees of softness, much like using a soft focus filter.
    The effect is much like the Pentax F/FA Soft 85mm. The soft effect gets more pronounced at wider apertures. Mine was for Ricoh mount but modded to work like an A lens. What a unique lens!
    I remember reading about this lens recently. Love the way it retains sharpness even with the softening filter. It'd make a perfect portrait lens.

Wow..nice piece of gem you've got there...No need to use in-camera filter...

Regards,
    Jay
    PENTAX K7,K3,DA55-300,DFA100WR F/2.8 Macro,DA18-135,Sigma 8-16,Sigma 70-200 APO EX DG F2.8 HSM II

Here's a shot with my 1 week old KX w/ kit lens:

This photo was taken at the Singapore Botanical Garden with K-x + DA* 16 - 50 f/2.8 ( wide open )

Some other photos taken with K200D and K-X can be viewed here :

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639884

Thanks for viewing .

Cross-posted from the Tamron Appreciation Thread to share, since not many folks here have this lens. It's a very big lens and the lens hood is quite aggressive-looking and prominent. Kind of reminds one of the Nikon 70-200, while the Sigma looks more like the Canon. Definitely draws attention, which can be good or bad depending on your needs. The tripod collar part is made of metal I think, but the part between the focus and zoom rings is made of plastic. So far haven't encountered any problems with it, and the plastic seems of a similar grade to the DA* 50-135. The focus ring MF clutch system is a bit poorly implemented, as you cannot quick-shift like the DA* or Sigma, have to pull the focus ring back and change the camera to MF. Also, the clack sound when you pull the focus ring back is loud unless you do it very slowly, and the focus ring tends to refuse seat nicely in the MF position. Good news is that the AF seems more responsive than the DA* 50-135 I had before and I haven't had to quickly switch to MF, even in really bad lighting conditions with the K20D.

It does indoor sports quite well, but I haven't had the chance to compare it to other 70-200s, especially the Sigma 70-200 HSM II. Sometimes it likes to lock on the background instead of the player, but that is probably due to the lousy SAFOX, and more contrast in the background (railings, wordings, etc) that confuses the AF sensor. AF seems to be able to track oncoming subjects well at longer distances but as they approach it just gives up and gets lost. Again, I'm not sure if other lenses, newer bodies will fare better. I would not be happy if I was a sports photographer though.. So far I appreciate the long end of 200mm f2.8 since I can reach out to action at the far end of the court, however, I'm also missing the 50mm short end when the action gets nearer. Can't have the best of both worlds I guess..

Also, some concert photos to share. The lens manages to achieve focus lock in such dark conditions quite remarkably. I remember the DA* 50-135 doing its little wiggle back and forth as it refused to stop and lock when the lighting conditions got really poor.

Fooling around with some "special effects".

If I can come up with anymore along this idea, they'll be in the Abstracts and Still Life section here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5805409

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post

I actually find it strange that its so uncommon here for Pentax users. The ppl at PentaxForums see to like this a lot and usually rate it higher than the Sigma.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Fooling around with some "special effects".

If I can come up with anymore along this idea, they'll be in the Abstracts and Still Life section here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5805409
    Very nice. These are lighting effects or done in PP?

I managed to take my DA10-17 out for a spin last week. This lens is indeed not easy to use, every shot must really be carefully composed if not the picture will look damn messy and tired. Here's sharing some of my virgin attempts. Any advices are appreciated!

1) Peck Seah Street

2) Tanjong Pagar

3) Big Head Cat!
    Last edited by aaron80; 25th January 2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I actually find it strange that its so uncommon here for Pentax users. The ppl at PentaxForums see to like this a lot and usually rate it higher than the Sigma.
    Price is cheaper here in the US and Tamron USA gives a whopping 6-year warranty.

Anyway, I think there are very few Sigma 70-200 in the Singapore Pentax community too. Only saw Lawrence's HSM II around before he sold it.

4) Fisheye Lomography

5) CNY Pasar Malam at Chinatown

6) CNY Pasar Malam at Chinatown 2
    Last edited by aaron80; 25th January 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Very nice. These are lighting effects or done in PP?
    Nope, the lighting effects are as shot. Trick revealed in the gallery thread.

7) A sincere prayer

8) Devoted Buddhists

9) Buddha Tooth Relic Temple Interior
    Last edited by aaron80; 25th January 2010 at 02:56 PM.

Played around with my few days old K7 with 18-55 WR lens. Here is a pic of my baby..

Tamron 70-200/2.8 is just an awesome lens, so sharp even wide open

Anyway, any K20D/K7 users shoot at ISO 3200 frequently? I am really frustrated by the purple tinge along the long edges, which appears when these areas are dark such as in stage shots. Apparently there's a program created to fix these with raw files (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32904790), but I can't seem to get it to work on my mac or on boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    how do u make the ppl disappear... its a pain for me to travel with hordes of tourist around...
    I used to hate people as much as you do. But when I attended a Canon seminar with Kris LaFayette (Spelling?), he always shoots with people in his shots, because it gives the picture scales, and he went on and explain further and now I see his point, his pictures really do look better with people in it.

But he is a pro, so he manages to blend the people and the surroundings seamlessly and complementary. So I guess we have much to learn.

Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 589101112152035 ... LastLast