Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

  1. #1

    Default Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

    Hi, all. I don't think I saw any related topics on this, so therefore I'm starting this one. We know that a Raynox CM-2000A MacroExplorer 3-in-1 set is essentially a Raynox DCR-150 stacked on top of a Raynox DCR-250. That will produce a +12.8 (4.8 + 8.0) diopter strength. Now I'm thinking whether it is possible to stack a DCR-250 on top of another DCR-250? That will produce +16 diopter strength. Isn't that a more attractive option?

    The thing is I haven't got my DCR-250 so I can't test. Anyone has tried this before? I'm interested to know the effects.

    Thanks in advance.
    Olympus - Discover Your Wonder(ful colours)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

    Quote Originally Posted by koyok View Post
    Hi, all. I don't think I saw any related topics on this, so therefore I'm starting this one. We know that a Raynox CM-2000A MacroExplorer 3-in-1 set is essentially a Raynox DCR-150 stacked on top of a Raynox DCR-250. That will produce a +12.8 (4.8 + 8.0) diopter strength. Now I'm thinking whether it is possible to stack a DCR-250 on top of another DCR-250? That will produce +16 diopter strength. Isn't that a more attractive option?

    The thing is I haven't got my DCR-250 so I can't test. Anyone has tried this before? I'm interested to know the effects.

    Thanks in advance.
    for every closeup filter you stack, you will have a rather significant light lost as well as quality lost. no one is stopping you, but you better have steady hands and a way to bring back the colors and sharpness.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    for every closeup filter you stack, you will have a rather significant light lost as well as quality lost. no one is stopping you, but you better have steady hands and a way to bring back the colors and sharpness.
    Thanks for your reply Del_CtrlnoAlt. Yes, you are very right, but I'm very curious about the results so I'm wondering if anyone is crazy enough to do it.
    Olympus - Discover Your Wonder(ful colours)

  4. #4
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

    I think no need to stack 2 DCR 250.

    There is a Raynox MSN 202 which is almost 4 times more powerful than the DCR 250. I heard there is a MSN 505 too, but can't find it in McGill's site.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    I think no need to stack 2 DCR 250.

    There is a Raynox MSN 202 which is almost 4 times more powerful than the DCR 250. I heard there is a MSN 505 too, but can't find it in McGill's site.
    Thanks for your reply, cichlid. Yes, the MSN-202 has a +25 diopter strength. But I'm thinking I might not need that much magnification. Besides, having 2 DCR-250s offers the flexibility of using just 1 or stacking another one for a greater magnification. I might go this way if it is workable.

    Now if only some kind souls have the DCR-250 (and probably a 49-52mm step-up ring) to test before I commit my purchase, I'll be most grateful.

    Thanks!
    Olympus - Discover Your Wonder(ful colours)

  6. #6
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: Stacking Raynox DCR-250 on another DCR-250

    Quote Originally Posted by koyok View Post
    Thanks for your reply, cichlid. Yes, the MSN-202 has a +25 diopter strength. But I'm thinking I might not need that much magnification. Besides, having 2 DCR-250s offers the flexibility of using just 1 or stacking another one for a greater magnification. I might go this way if it is workable.

    Now if only some kind souls have the DCR-250 (and probably a 49-52mm step-up ring) to test before I commit my purchase, I'll be most grateful.

    Thanks!
    Oh I see, maybe you can join macro outing (if any), then you sure get to test it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •