Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crop factor is a hindrance?

Default Crop factor is a hindrance?

With a crop factor of 1.6 for my Canon 500D, all lenses' focal range will be adjusted upwards which have implications for the end result like framing, effective focal distance, image distortion etc. This is from my newbie's perspective. So choosing lenses have to factor in the crop factor?

With a lens of 70-300mm will now mean 102-420mm ... may look good on paper but this may not be what a photographer needs for example he wants the widest angle lens say 10-22mm but he will never get it as it translates to 16-35mm with crop factor.

How then can a person take photos with the desired focal length of 10mm for example in a body of Canon 500D for example?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Default Re: Crop factor is a hindrance?

er, i doubt it is possible to take picture with 10mm currently even wiht full frame..

widest lens before crop usable on FF is 12mm currently.

by the way, most of these modern lenses ARE DESIGNED with crop sensor in mind... so no difference. sama sama..

You can't. That's why people pay big bucks for a full-frame camera.

You can't have your cake (cheap camera body) and eat it too (make full use of wide-angle).
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You can't. That's why people pay big bucks for a full-frame camera.

You can't have your cake (cheap camera body) and eat it too (make full use of wide-angle).
    well, even for FF lenses.. most of the time widest used is around 16mm...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I use my 12-24.
    Alpha

Its not a hindrance, it means longer reach for your lenses esp if you are doing birding shots in bird park or zoo.
    Its means cheaper DSLRs, people could easily afford one nowadays and start their passion early.

If the crop factor hinders you alot, by means get a 5D/II/1Ds or film

i think the ppl more likely to complain abt the crop factor messing up their effective focal lengths are the old-timer film users..

as someone who also started out in the digital age, there's nothing to adapt from so it's ok.

anyway your tele lens "benefits" from the 1.6x crop so i guess it's a good thing rather than a hindrance if you're at the zoo

Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Its not a hindrance, it means longer reach for your lenses esp if you are doing birding shots in bird park or zoo.
    Not true. the focal length remains the same, you just get an auto-crop and the center. I'd still prefer using a FF camera and then deciding what I want to crop away later.
    Alpha

Widest on FF is 12.... (without fish eye effect)

Not true. the focal length remains the same, you just get an auto-crop and the center. I'd still prefer using a FF camera and then deciding what I want to crop away later.
    Oh ya that was what i actually meant, thanks for correcting

When you take a photo, are you thinking about numbers or the composition? Frame the photo according to what you see in the view finder. You are well covered with UWAs.

No leh, i use my 12-24 too at 12mm most of the time.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
    With a crop factor of 1.6 for my Canon 500D, all lenses' focal range will be adjusted upwards which have implications for the end result like framing, effective focal distance, image distortion etc. This is from my newbie's perspective. So choosing lenses have to factor in the crop factor?

With a lens of 70-300mm will now mean 102-420mm ... may look good on paper but this may not be what a photographer needs for example he wants the widest angle lens say 10-22mm but he will never get it as it translates to 16-35mm with crop factor.

How then can a person take photos with the desired focal length of 10mm for example in a body of Canon 500D for example?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.
    Using on crop or not doesn't matter to me as long as u know how the focal length's going to be. When u use it long enough it becomes a routine so u'll know.

BTW, 70-300 on 1.6 will become 112-480, not 102-420.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    i think the ppl more likely to complain abt the crop factor messing up their effective focal lengths are the old-timer film users..

as someone who also started out in the digital age, there's nothing to adapt from so it's ok.

anyway your tele lens "benefits" from the 1.6x crop so i guess it's a good thing rather than a hindrance if you're at the zoo
    it benefits at the longest zoom but at the widest zoom, dun think it is as wide it should be

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Using on crop or not doesn't matter to me as long as u know how the focal length's going to be. When u use it long enough it becomes a routine so u'll know.

BTW, 70-300 on 1.6 will become 112-480, not 102-420.
    thanks for pointing out the correction .. guess as a newbie, we learn new things ... I should have gotten the 70-200 F4 L IS USM nstead of the EF 70-300mm IS USM on hindsight .. not a complaint as the latter is a good lens
    Last edited by mindfulness; 24th August 2009 at 01:13 PM.

Yeah just work with the equipment you have. No point dwelling on the technical details as long as you can get the shot you're after.
    Exploring! :)

i enjoy the crop factor because of the extra reach,

and esp love it when birding, comes in really useful.

even in ff, i doubt anyone goes beyond 14mm to be honest,

and i know nikon has 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm lenses,

but those are really old, AI-S lenses, and are hard to find.

they are also mainly fisheyes. they have immensely wide angle of view, i think going up to 220 degrees with the 6mm.

not sure about canon though, you can check it out.

and if you do lay hand on those lenses, get your full-frame camera, and you've got whatever you want.
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    i enjoy the crop factor because of the extra reach,

and esp love it when birding, comes in really useful.

Crop factor do not give you any extra reach, please leh.

The focal length remains the same, you just get an auto-crop and the center. I'd still prefer using a FF camera and then deciding what I want to crop away later.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    Crop factor do not give you any extra reach, please leh.
    actually it depends on what you define as "reach", i don't think there's any official definition.

that said, it is very debatable which is superior, a cropped picture off a FF with one lens, and a noncropped equivalent off crop factor with the same lens,.

actually it depends on what you define as "reach", i don't think there's any official definition.

that said, it is very debatable which is superior, a cropped picture off a FF with one lens, and a noncropped equivalent off crop factor with the same lens,.

In response to Lomo's claim that the 'extra reach' in crop will be useful in birding? That's not true.

Rashkae's comment was in response to a similar birding claim as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast