Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Advice Needed on Digital Camera in Cold Weather

  1. #1

    Default Advice Needed on Digital Camera in Cold Weather

    Hi all, need some advice

    Am going to Harbin, China in Jan where the temp is expected to be from -14 deg C to -25 deg C.

    Am worried if my F717 can operate as the specs in the manual put operating temp as 0 deg C to 40 deg C.

    Anyone have experienced any prob or have any other tips with using digital cams in cold weather, other than a faster than normal battery usage?

  2. #2

    Default

    wow... -14... good luck for you... 3-4 degree i buay ta han already..

    i think that the cam will not respond. -1 -2 i think should be able.. i think -14 is far too low...

    batt of course comsumes faster (even faster in extreme cold)... better bring like 1-2 spare to charge everyday.


    I used a panasonic F7 to korea, that time was able ice point... the cam works, but the batter sucks, about 40 shots gone case (baring in mind that the batt life itself sucks big time)
    Last edited by yamcake; 27th December 2003 at 10:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Within the Lens
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake
    wow... -14... good luck for you... 3-4 degree i buay ta han already..

    i think that the cam will not respond. -1 -2 i think should be able.. i think -14 is far too low...

    batt of course comsumes faster (even faster in extreme cold)... better bring like 1-2 spare to charge everyday.


    I used a panasonic F7 to korea, that time was able ice point... the cam works, but the batter sucks, about 40 shots gone case (baring in mind that the batt life itself sucks big time)
    So what's the tempature at Korea then ?
    40 shots without LCD on ? wow, I am going there in jan and its -5.
    Currently had 2 batteries, guess gonna buy 1 more liao ..... $$$
    alternatively, thinking of attaching a heatpad wrap near the camera ... maybe its works longer.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justdidit
    Hi all, need some advice

    Am going to Harbin, China in Jan where the temp is expected to be from -14 deg C to -25 deg C.

    Am worried if my F717 can operate as the specs in the manual put operating temp as 0 deg C to 40 deg C.

    Anyone have experienced any prob or have any other tips with using digital cams in cold weather, other than a faster than normal battery usage?
    Hi,

    Do bring extra batteries, at least another spare one. Keep it warm in your pocket and change when you need to. I'm not sure about the F717 but my Canon D30 DSLR was surprisingly very resilient when I experienced -30 deg C in Canada. No sign of battery drain that I had expected. But I would still advise you to bring extra.

    Have a good trip!

  5. #5

    Default

    Ok. thanks to all for the replies.

    Just a qn on the effect of the cold on the batteries.
    Does the cold result in the battery being discharged temporarily or permanently?
    I.E. if I were to take the cold battery and warm it up, will the charge return or will I need to charge it again?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Just curious to ask, Kiwi2. Does the D30 dslr have any rubber sealed built in it?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake
    wow... -14... good luck for you... 3-4 degree i buay ta han already..

    i think that the cam will not respond. -1 -2 i think should be able.. i think -14 is far too low...

    batt of course comsumes faster (even faster in extreme cold)... better bring like 1-2 spare to charge everyday.


    I used a panasonic F7 to korea, that time was able ice point... the cam works, but the batter sucks, about 40 shots gone case (baring in mind that the batt life itself sucks big time)
    cold weather does not cause batteries to CONSUME faster...energy does not dissapear from the battery just because its cold... cold make it harder for charge to flow thats why there seems not be enough voltage (potential difference due to current flow. recall Physics V=IR) it just makes them unusable.... the power is still there.... just keep the batteries warm... place them inside your jacket near body heat... and insert them into the camera when needed. or keep the 717 inside the jacket.. only take out when needed....

    dunno how the camera will take the cold thoug....
    Dslrs like the D100 have been tested in everest and all works fine...

  8. #8

    Default

    keep the batt (preferably batt and cam) as close to your body (under your jacket) as possible - as deep into your layers of clothing as pocketably possible. showtime's right, its just harder for the current to flow. at zero (2am, brooklyn bridge, when i came back THEN my friends tell me its haunted, kanasai) i had to pop my dImageX out of my fleece, could only take 2 shots before it dieded and i had to put it back in again.

    another problem you might run into at those kinda temps - frozen LCD. at the summit of everest my fren didnt film with the PC10 i passed him cos the LCD didnt work and he thought it was too cold. i was suitably dissapointed. the LCD worked fine after it thawed out though. this was 5 years ago, so maybe LCD technology has improved, i don't know. it was -35 at the top i think.

    i don't know what kinda trip you're doing, but one trick (if u need it) is to boil your batts. stick it in a ziploc, and into water as its being heated. don't go TOO hot - there's a max temp. when bubbles start appearing should be just nice. last resort, stick the batt where even starhub can get reception. if you do, pls don't tell me abt it.

    cheers

    jo

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    Just curious to ask, Kiwi2. Does the D30 dslr have any rubber sealed built in it?
    Which part of the body? Not that I know of. But it survived the harshest winter I've been in Canada and came out tops. I was expecting some LCD blackout or fast draining of battery but it performed really well. I'm totally satisfied with its built quality.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •