Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Harvy Norman

  1. #1

    Default Harvy Norman

    hi i'm just wondering if harvy norman actually sells lenses.
    i heard of people getting their cameras from there but i'm not sure if they sell lenses.
    if yes are they significantly more expensive than what we pay outside or probably just 10 20 bucks different from the regular camera shops?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    anyone??

  3. #3

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    They have a limited collection of lens. Never actually asked them for price. I'd suspect it might be more expensive. I get everything from TK foto. 1 stop shop for anything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    I went to Harvey Norman once and I thought why not try my luck and ask for the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8. They have no existing stocks but can order in for me in about 1-2 days' time. I was ok with that. They quoted a price of $2500, best price down to $2400. I decided to wait.
    Later that afternoon, walked to another camera shop at Funan. Don't remember the name, but certainly wasn't John 316, nor Allan Photo. The staff was very attentive, knew that I am new to this lens and offered me $2350 after discount.
    But of course I later bought the lens from my regular camera shop at a significantly lower price.
    So it seems that Harvey Norman you can bargain, just how much you can bring it down lah...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Actully I believe Harvy Norman and courts price are expensive and they need to Order lens or camera if they dont have it with them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Harvey Norman is in no way as dedicated a camera shop as the other camera shops like OP, MS, CP, TCW, J316 etc etc. First, you don't get as good a price, secondly I do not believe their product knowledge is wide enough to give guidance on the equipment you want to buy, and the relationship between this piece of equipment and the other parts of the component, e.g. camera body, filters lah.. all these additional advice that are valuable to us.
    Didn't even dare to think of servicing. They would most like ask you to go to CSC at Habour Front to do it yourself.

  7. #7
    Member Linnl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Actually my experience from Harvey Norman differs. (OT a bit from here)

    I find service @ Harvey Norman (Funan) up to standard though. I mean they don't "cheat" your money, services and products are legit. I bought my A230 from there. I had a senior more experience staff to attend to me. His words are honest and I find nothing wrong shopping there at all. More over he was very patient over my purchase decision as I made at least 2 trips there asking questions, handling the camera and only deciding to purchase after more than 2trips.

    Plus, he gave me quite a reaonsable discount as well. IIRC, A230Y was $1,199; he quoted me 1,099 and even reduced the prices of other accessories such as blower, screen protector etc etc. So I am actually quite happy with my purchase !

    ANYWAY, back to topic, they sell lenses and yes most of the time they carry little or no stock. If you want they will have to order it for you. IIRC the price of lenses they sell there are very standard. They quoted me $219 for Sony 50mm F1.8, similar to Sony Style. Even if you can get a discount, I think probably just a few dollars off only .

  8. #8

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    They have a limited collection of lens. Never actually asked them for price. I'd suspect it might be more expensive. I get everything from TK foto. 1 stop shop for anything.
    TK Photo??? LOL
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    oh btw its not that i don't wanna get from photography shops like john316 AP MS cathay etc etc, its just that i have harvy norman vouchers to spare thats why i was thinking that it would be a pretty good idea to get a flash or a lens there.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Harvey Norman

    Harvy Norman do not sell lens, not sure what they do. But Harvey Norman does. Depending on the stores, some may only carry limited stock.

    But they price tag are higher against what you can bargain.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    things will be different if you get to know the staff over there... staff price is always better?

  12. #12
    Member Linnl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    things will be different if you get to know the staff over there... staff price is always better?
    Ya I agree! I've worked as a part-time promoter for Harvey Norman before and their staff price also actually pretty satisfactory! Staff price get a quite a discount actually

  13. #13

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    They do sell lens, but limited and sometimes have to wait a couple of days.....price wise, it slightly on the expensive side....but u can always try if u know the staff there...
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Hmm~ Smell my name..HAHAHA!
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

  15. #15

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Harvey Norman is in no way as dedicated a camera shop as the other camera shops like OP, MS, CP, TCW, J316 etc etc. First, you don't get as good a price, secondly I do not believe their product knowledge is wide enough to give guidance on the equipment you want to buy, and the relationship between this piece of equipment and the other parts of the component, e.g. camera body, filters lah.. all these additional advice that are valuable to us.
    Didn't even dare to think of servicing. They would most like ask you to go to CSC at Habour Front to do it yourself.
    aiya , even the "dedicated camera shop" people.. sometimes also don't know much about photography....

  16. #16

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by bugsz View Post
    hi i'm just wondering if harvy norman actually sells lenses.
    i heard of people getting their cameras from there but i'm not sure if they sell lenses.
    if yes are they significantly more expensive than what we pay outside or probably just 10 20 bucks different from the regular camera shops?
    they do...

    but probably more expensive.. most of the time they will probably follow RRP (recommended retail price), at most chop off a bit for you..

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,764

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    they do at the funan outlet.
    not sure abt other places
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

  18. #18

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    they do at the funan outlet.
    not sure abt other places
    The one at Millennia Walk sell lenses too. But RRP very ex leh.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Living out of the suitcase...
    Posts
    2,114

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    If u want to buy camera bodies, I find Harvey Norman prices quite competitive, sometimes u can get better deals than the MS, CP, AP etc... But I guess some folks will prefer to stick to certain shops for after-sales, goodwill etc.

  20. #20
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Harvy Norman

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    aiya , even the "dedicated camera shop" people.. sometimes also don't know much about photography....
    Well, so far they have been able to convince me plentiful plentiful. Maybe I'm a sucker for whatever is thrown out. Why? Cos still very young and not as knowledgeable mah... lolxxx...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •