Thread: Editing large amount of photos

Default Editing large amount of photos

Hi,

I went a trip overseas, and because of my itchy hands, i took quite alot of photos. like 1gb full...

i am looking for a software that can regulate the procress. photoshop is kind of slow like 1. open, 2. edit..... 3. save as the other file in other dir...

kinna filmsy. any other method that you all can suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by yamcake
    Hi,

I went a trip overseas, and because of my itchy hands, i took quite alot of photos. like 1gb full...

i am looking for a software that can regulate the procress. photoshop is kind of slow like 1. open, 2. edit..... 3. save as the other file in other dir...

You can attach actions to keys in photoshop, so you can use that to automate certain tasks, however more important is to have a well developed workflow for processing images.

Firstly I make a copy of all images taken. This ensures that the originals are safe.

Next I batch the images in to 3 groups (note I do this with both digitally created shots and also scans) in three new directories (use copy command and a program like AcdSee, Ifran view etc). The new directories are for Keepers, Not Sure and Rejects. Be really hard on the shots at this point, eliminate any shots that aren't really that good in terms of composition or that have other major defects that preclude the shot from being salvaged.

Once you've batched the images then move the good images in to a series of new directories, with each folder holding 100-200 images. This makes it much easier to process files and to keep track of where you are in the work process.

Once that's done you can simply process and save in to the new folders as your original images are safe and sound.

With practice you should be able to process several hundred shots an hour, less if you need to make radical corrections.

Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Deregistered

yamcake, i believe you're using 300D?

if you're using canon, i would highly recommend BreezeBrowser to you. very handy indeed!

http://www.breezesys.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yamcake
    Hi,

Are you using a 300D? Are your files taken in RAW? You can use the File Viewer Utility provided by Canon to extract the JPEGs stored in the RAW format easily.

Personally, I like to view my pictures with CaptureONE and do the necessary RAW conversion from there.

yah.. 300D, but taken in jpeg already.. i'll try the breeze software first.. thanks folks

Capture ONE DSLR

i edited 2GB of RAW pic in one night, thanks to this software

http://www.c1dslr.com/

Latest version 1.3 got support for 300D too

i can edit pictures while converting others to TIFF/JPG in the background

u can apply the same cropping/adjustment to all/selected photos

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    yamcake, i believe you're using 300D?

if you're using canon, i would highly recommend BreezeBrowser to you. very handy indeed!

http://www.breezesys.com/
    breezebrowser is fast and i can view a RAW pic quickly

but the flow not as good as C1, for a few pic still ok...but if i got a few hundreds pic to edit i still prefer C1, no need to wait for the pic to convert one by one
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY