Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to make nice shot using my D60 ?

Default Re: How to make nice shot using my D60 ?

on the topic of hi iso, 1600 on d60 is usable if properly exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    don't tell me you bought the d60 without understanding that it doesn't AF with AF-D lens?
    the lack of AF motor is not really a problem for me since it can be solve by AF-S and sigma HSM lens but the 3 AF points is a bit limiting in low light conditions...
    hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    don't tell me you bought the d60 without understanding that it doesn't AF with AF-D lens?
    the lack of AF motor is not really a problem for me since it can be solve by AF-S and sigma HSM lens but the 3 AF points is a bit limiting in low light conditions...
    Errr..Ya, a year ago bought this without any knowledge. but nw trying to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by rijac View Post
    on the topic of hi iso, 1600 on d60 is usable if properly exposed.
    Ya, i hear from some bros that, the ISO i needed is only to 800.

Why i cant use AF 50mm f1.8D?And have to use AFS 50mm f1.4G? AFS very X:P

Quote Originally Posted by privacy79 View Post
    As mentioned in Simon_84's post, D60 does not have a built-in AF motor. AFD lenses do not have AF motor built-in as well, so you'll need to manual focus when using them on the D60. AFS lenses have built-in AF motor and hence can AF with the D60.
    Last edited by ziploc; 25th August 2009 at 03:06 PM.

iso 1600 handheld with a tamron 28-75 f2.8

Yes that is a good piece of advice. Here is how to do it:

When shooting in low light condition, first set your camera to P mode and ISO to 800. Open up your aperture to the widest (using the "flexible program", see p. 41 of your D60 manual), compose, half press shutter release and check the shutter speed. If it is above the rule of thumb of 1/focal length, go ahead and shoot, otherwise pop up the flash and shoot with it.

Remember to set the ISO back to 100 once you've done shooting, so that you won't be shooting ISO 800 in daylight.

Quite simple, isn't it?
    Last edited by ziploc; 25th August 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks for all bros advices.

hm... im D60 users for almost 6 months... before i bought the camera, i search through all website(including clubsnap) n books in library.. ends up when i started, i could take quite acceptable photo, though not really perfect.. overtime, playing with the setting, i found the D60 is easy to use, u just need the basic knowledge about ur buddy in order to bring out its full potential...

well... again, im not a pro, i just sharing what i feel about D60... =D

wanna thanks again for the help that the seniors have given... Thanks... cheers...

You can if you do not mind turning the focusing ring with your fingers instead. There is an electronic rangefinder display which you can turn on and it makes manual focusing very easy with the D60.

I would advise you to spend some money on a photography course (either SAFRA Photo Club or Photographic Society Singapore). Reading wont be able to answer the questions you have easily but someone shooting with and teaching you will be able to enlighten you lots. A basic course is more then enough.

As for lenses, think you should invest in those later. But indeed, those f1.4 lenses can make your night shot easier. =)

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    With 150mm you'll need 1/150s according to the rule of thumb. Remember you'll also need to include the crop factor. So if you zoom to 50mm and you're using DX camera (which D60 is), you'll need to use 1/(50*1.5) = 1/75s. Similarly for 150mm, it should be 1/225s or faster. Try to shoot with P mode first, which will ensure your flash sync speed to be between 1/60-1/200s, and let the camera select the aperture. Shooting in A mode will be more complicated as you now need to take note of the relationship between aperture, sensitivity and flash range (page 179 of your D60 manual).
    I do NOT concur with the need to include the 'DX' factor in this rule of thumb. The DX thing is a change of effective angle of view and not a change of focal length - which is the main para. that affect the 'mag' factor and hence the 'shake' tendency.

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    I do NOT concur with the need to include the 'DX' factor in this rule of thumb. The DX thing is a change of effective angle of view and not a change of focal length - which is the main para. that affect the 'mag' factor and hence the 'shake' tendency.
    In fact, you'll need to factor in the fact that people could now pixel peep at the touch of a button and the MP count is so high.... So the magnification would be enormous compared to film days..

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    So let's say I use an FX camera at 50mm to take a pic of a black ball. When I printed it on 4R size paper, the ball is 1cm in diameter. Now if I use a DX camera at same focal length to take the same ball at exactly the same distance, and then printed it on 4R paper. Will the ball be the smaller, same size, or larger?
    Last edited by ziploc; 26th August 2009 at 04:55 PM.

So let's say I use an FX camera at 50mm to take a pic of a black ball. When I printed it on 4R size paper, the ball is 1cm in diameter. Now if I use a DX camera at same focal length to take the same ball at exactly the same distance, and then printed it on 4R paper. Will the ball be the smaller, same size, or larger?

i think he is referring to the 1/mm rule of thumb, not the crop factor. if the distance from the camera is the same, there should not be a difference in the shutter speed at a given focal length. 1/50 for both fx and dx. and not 1/75 for the dx.

Yes I know he is talking about 1/focal length rule of thumb. So my question still remains as above, will the ball printed on the 4R size paper for the DX be smaller, same size, or larger, given the same condition? The reason I asked is because now we need to discussed about magnification.

Yes I know he is talking about 1/focal length rule of thumb. So my question still remains as above, will the ball printed on the 4R size paper for the DX be smaller, same size, or larger, given the same condition? The reason I asked is because now we need to discussed about magnification.
    Hi, Ok, let me try to answer this. which is actually NOT the same issue.

Here, the issue of pixel density comes in.

Suppose we will to use the D3X. Without actually going for exact calculation, the pixel density would be about the same as a DX 10 MP sensor density. Then if you will to take a shot and then crop the image (on computer) to the same as DX sensor size and then print out. The view angle will be above the same (as DX), about the same pixel density for the image and when printed out - also about the same... So now what? may I ask? The 1/mm rule change for D3X also?

Magnification factor here refers to the image size on the sensor vis-a-vis the acutal - not the printed image size- that you can enlarge to cover the whole building if needed)

PS - I am trying to present my understand on this thing - no agitation intended.

Blog Entries

It depends on how you print it too. If you are printing in "shrink to fit", it will appear that the DX's image is magnified. If printed at 100% original size, and areas outside printable margin are ignored... it may or may not look the same coz there is also the question of how many megapixel the sensor is, or sensor density. Every thing affects it rite? Am I right or wrong? Or do I sound like a complete idiot? hmmmm.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th August 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Try using this lens

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast