Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Food in Central Tokyo

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    puffer fish is a must try. only available in a few places though

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by theshooter View Post
    puffer fish is a must try. only available in a few places though
    Yes. Find those restaurants which specialises in puffer fish and savour a whole cusine made entirely of puffer fish Its an expensive meal but compared to having puffer fish in SG, Japan is much cheaper.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    what the price like for puffer fish?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  4. #24
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    what the price like for puffer fish?
    fugu prices can jack up according to season,

    and which restaurant you eat at.

    there is also a few way of eating fugu, and some restaurants serve the entire set.

    fugu sashimi, fugu hotpot, and fried fugu fin sake.

    this is the "full-set".

    can range from about 300 USD to 1000USD (meaning it's like big portions for 4-5 pax)
    Pentax K-x

  5. #25
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Yes. Find those restaurants which specialises in puffer fish and savour a whole cusine made entirely of puffer fish Its an expensive meal but compared to having puffer fish in SG, Japan is much cheaper.
    that would be tough... but of course in japan there are.

    tokyo honestly don't have alot of specialised fugu restaurants but they serve.

    hibiki serves it as well. apparently i heard NYC has one of the world's best fugu restaurant.
    Pentax K-x

  6. #26

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Thanks all for all...


    for the makan places up date in Tokyo...

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomographer View Post
    that would be tough... but of course in japan there are.

    tokyo honestly don't have alot of specialised fugu restaurants but they serve.

    hibiki serves it as well. apparently i heard NYC has one of the world's best fugu restaurant.
    I had mine in Kawasaki. Set with: fugu sashimi, fugu hotpot (they will add in rice to make into a porridge when you finish the hotpot), and fried fugu fin sake
    I think it costs about S$70 each for the set which serves 5 people
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

  8. #28
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    keep them all questions coming!

    and those who know much about the food in tokyo, do share!
    Pentax K-x

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Original qn still not answered :P

    Where to find all these must tries in tokyo?

    1) Sashimi
    2) Wagyu beef
    3) Ramen and Soba
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  10. #30

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    thanks for sharing!
    pictures would be nice to whet the appetite!

  11. #31
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Original qn still not answered :P

    Where to find all these must tries in tokyo?

    1) Sashimi
    2) Wagyu beef
    3) Ramen and Soba
    1) Try Eitaro (Ueno ) or just simply go to tsukiji market in the morning for sushi
    2) Try michelin star-ed restaurant seryna @ their biggest shop in ginza or other branches (roppongi or shinjuku)
    3) Can try ippudo for ramen (shibuya) but as for soba not very sure, cos i'm not a fan.

    If you have a client to entertain or simply enjoin the good food, try Signature, a michelin-star restaurant at the mandarin oriental tokyo and as well some very delicious jap cuisine all in one place @ hibiki (shinbashi)
    Pentax K-x

  12. #32

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Tsukiji Market:

    Be prepared for a 2 hour queue for this place for sushi.

    Reasonable price.


    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Thanks for sharing. Will start a new thread on my food escapade in Japan. Or maybe i should just post here?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  14. #34

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Tsukiji Market:

    Be prepared for a 2 hour queue for this place for sushi.

    Reasonable price.


    HAHA! i ate there before! GEEZ REALLY EXPENSIVE SET MEAL. Reallyy really fresh, but i was put down by the sea-urchin sushi.. geez.. eye opener... or you could say jaw opener.

    I recommend Jan-gara Ramen, at harajuku. REALLY SOLID RAMEN!!!!!! BEST EVER.. wish i could give you more details.. but i don't have em'.

    I got the address from Lonely Planet: Tokyo.. i think city scape edition or something.. its focused on tokyo only. If i'm not wrong, its listed as one of the top 5 ramens in the book.

    Been to tokyo twice, at there both times. Tried so many other places, couldnt find anything to match that.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by keongology View Post
    HAHA! i ate there before! GEEZ REALLY EXPENSIVE SET MEAL. Reallyy really fresh, but i was put down by the sea-urchin sushi.. geez.. eye opener... or you could say jaw opener.

    I recommend Jan-gara Ramen, at harajuku. REALLY SOLID RAMEN!!!!!! BEST EVER.. wish i could give you more details.. but i don't have em'.

    I got the address from Lonely Planet: Tokyo.. i think city scape edition or something.. its focused on tokyo only. If i'm not wrong, its listed as one of the top 5 ramens in the book.

    Been to tokyo twice, at there both times. Tried so many other places, couldnt find anything to match that.
    Well it does not come cheap, but it is quality. At USD 50, thats alright for a good treat in Japan.

    The Sashimi shop a couple of doors down is good too.

    Also there is a tempura stall in the market facing the main road at the Fish Market which is excellant too.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Some food pics to share (thou some are fruits and veg :P)

    #1 My very first Tempura Soba set in Haneda airport


    #2 Close ups


    #3 Slurp!


    #4 Yummy
    Last edited by yehosaphat; 29th October 2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    #5 Ebi Don


    #6 Prawns were real fresh n crisp
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Fruits and Veg seems so fresh

    #7


    #8
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    #9 Kiwi!


    #10 Yummy Melon. Only ~S$15!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  20. #40
    Senior Member Lomographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Paterson Road
    Posts
    2,047

    Default Re: Food in Central Tokyo

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    #5 Ebi Don


    #6 Prawns were real fresh n crisp
    looks scrumptious!
    Pentax K-x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •