Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the experience Snappers do it??

Default How the experience Snappers do it??

Hi Snappers,

I understand that most of the experience snappers here would probably be using M-mode for effect, sharpness, contrast etc.... But given the different combination of Shutter speed, ISO and Apperture, i would like to know the following on some occation where the target is moving and not posing for you.

Example 1 ) Taking a picture at the Lions at the zoo when the lions stands up and climbs a tree, when you start taking pics, how do you ensure that you have a good setting on the Shutter, ISO and App? If they are not in good setting, by the time you adjust and get the right setting, lions probably walked away already.

Example 2) For bird lovers, nice bird fly past, how sure are you that your zoom and settings are correct for that distance. This one probably if the setting is wrong, its going to be too bad cause the bird will not fly back for you right?

Example 3) ( Personal experience As im still a newbie ) Dinner gathering. Suddenly friends say since you have a camera lets all take a picture...Picture came out Too dark, too bright, shutter too slow so blur and stuffs like that. By time adjust here and there. All gave up already!!

Personnal conclusion from a niewbie)
    1) Its either the pros here look at the lighting only they know roughly what setting so 1 shot for trial and error and 2nd shot for the kill?

2) Take practise shot of the enviroment first and get the settings roughly correct and then wait for action?

3) Am out of answers so please let me know if there is a 3rd answer to this ?

Thanks alot

Default Re: How the experience Snappers do it??

if you are at an environmnet where the lighting is more or less constant, manual exposure based on the environment first is a good approach.

however, I usually use Aperture priority mode, me deciding what aperture and ISO to use and letting the camera decide the shutter speed. if it happens to be too bright or dark, compensate the EV settings in an instant.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Having a DSLR doesn't necessarily mean having to shoot in M/A/S mode all the time. Unless I have sufficient time to think of how I want to approach the shot, I just leave it at P. Getting the shot is sometimes more important than all those fancy settings.
    Shooting RAW helps too.

Some people just read their manuals and learn about the basics of photography. That enables the photographers here to take good pictures in all the situations you have described. But if you are just a snapper than of course these things stay hidden from you and you continue snapping and wondering about the abysmal results. Looking at your descriptions how people "miraculously guess settings" it seems you lack basic knowledge about photography.
    Read more here in zoossh's Guide
    Shooting modes at cameras have a purpose and it's elitist rubbish talk that only Manual mode gives really good results. But even if you are unsure about Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority then there are still those modes called "Sports" or "Night Portrait" that can be used if you just want to snap and there's not much time to think about technical details.
    In addition, your manual has interesting details about focus modes. Basically there are two:
    Single AF: one-time focusing (at stationary objects)
    Continous AF: permanent focusing and checking (for moving objects)
    Hope it's already obvious when to use what.
    For moving objects you also want to check about metering modes and how they are coupled to focusing. Again, the basic modes are well described in your manual. Read them to understand what the camera is doing, chose the right one according your situation. Sometimes multi-pattern is best, sometimes spot metering is more appropriate.

[QUOTE=Octarine;5373673]Some people just read their manuals and learn about the basics of photography.

Bro, Thats me. I read the entire manual and as usual, still confused. The manual usually mentioned the correct practise which i thought i can find out if there are alternate practise from people based on experience. ( Somthing like what you study and what you apply when you actually work Haha )

2) But if you are just a snapper than of course these things stay hidden from you and you continue snapping and wondering about the abysmal results. Looking at your descriptions how people "miraculously guess settings" it seems you lack basic knowledge about photography.

This is still true because im a newbie but i do not want to stay as a automatic snapper thats why im worried and eager to know what do people like you do in situations like that

3)Shooting modes at cameras have a purpose and it's elitist rubbish talk that only Manual mode gives really good results.

As im new, i will only follow as close as possible on what i read or what people tells me cause im still at a stage where the camera is guiding me instead of the other way round

Lastly, Thanks alot for the info

Quote Originally Posted by conkeychua View Post
    Bro, Thats me. I read the entire manual and as usual, still confused. The manual usually mentioned the correct practise which i thought i can find out if there are alternate practise from people based on experience. ( Somthing like what you study and what you apply when you actually work Haha )
    The manual tells you how to operate the camera (which settings are there, how to change them). So that also explains the predefined shooting modes like "Sports" and how they work. The link I gave you will explain what is happening actually in the camera and how certain settings will affect the result. Study the link, plenty of stuffs there. When you practice then better focus on one topic at a time. Leave out flash for the moment. That's a whole chapter on it's own. Stay in daylight and focus on topics like aperture / ISO / shutter speed - all three form the "triangle of exposure". You set one or two parameters and the other one(s) must follow to obtain correct exposure. Here your camera helps you with the respective modes "Aperture Priority" and "Shutter Priority". Once you understand this continue with metering and focus points. Do systematic tests: multiple pictures where you only change the settings and watch the results. A tripod helps to keep the camera stable so that the conditions for each shot are equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    A tripod helps to keep the camera stable so that the conditions for each shot are equal.
    Bro Thanks alot for all the tip.

Coming to the tripod, Do you think the remote control is needed for newbies?

Also i do not own a flash yet which like you mentioned that i should leave the flash for now? When do you think i would need to purchase them? When i start to understand the camera and its different functions and usage?

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Bro Thanks alot for all the tip.

Also i do not own a flash yet which like you mentioned that i should leave the flash for now? When do you think i would need to purchase them? When i start to understand the camera and its different functions and usage?

Cheers!
    Hi conkeychua,

The fastest way to learn is to learn from fellow snappers. Go join some group photo outings, shoot with them, ask questions.

I shoot with a couple of friends as well. We learn from each other a lot.

No, from my point of view it's not necessary. Although, there are some really cheap Infrared remote triggers (10-15 bucks Mass Sales). But for now and during daylight it's more important to keep the shooting position constant for a proper comparison between different settings. You can also use the timer if you like.

Yes, once you have a basic idea of exposure and you are familiar with the key elements (so that you don't need to sit and think just before each picture) then you can work towards flash. Flash has it's own challenges since you are mixing ambient light and flash light or even replacing ambient light.

In a currently very 'hot' book(Hot Shoe Diaries) by Joe McNally, he explains how he often uses Aperture priority.
    If its good enough for him, its gd enough for me for most times.

BUT must still know how to use manual, when those occasion calls for it.

I also thought Pros uses spot metering for precision, but in the book, apparently he uses matrix most times. So really, dont take things, or comments on CS for that matter, at face value ...haha. Including mine..
    Research more..
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 22nd August 2009 at 06:54 PM.

conkeychua, one of the instructors in a photography course always tell his students - "if you are shooting a static, non-moving (or may not moving much) subject, just use Program mode."
    Personally I find myself learning quite a bit from Program Mode, how it sets the exposures & other parameters for you. Then you can start to play around once you get the feel of how a particular setting would suit a particular scene.
    Try lah.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    I also thought Pros uses spot metering for precision, but in the book, apparently he uses matrix most times. So really, dont take things, or comments on CS for that matter, at face value ...haha. Including mine..
    Research more..
    There is this local saying (which I don't like as an animal lover): "There are many ways to skin a cat." - In photography there are many ways to achieve the results. There's nothing wrong with using Matrix metering for portraits and maybe Spot metering for landscapes - as long as you know why you chose this or the other way. The same goes for any other mode or setting on the camera.
    I haven't read this Hot Shoe Diary but personally I don't like it when things get overly simplified just for the sake of making it simple (or at least make it look simple). If people want to have it simple then there are other options that have face detection, smile function, toddler animation and whatnot.

Example 1 ) Taking a picture at the Lions at the zoo when the lions stands up and climbs a tree, when you start taking pics, how do you ensure that you have a good setting on the Shutter, ISO and App? If they are not in good setting, by the time you adjust and get the right setting, lions probably walked away already.

Example 2) For bird lovers, nice bird fly past, how sure are you that your zoom and settings are correct for that distance. This one probably if the setting is wrong, its going to be too bad cause the bird will not fly back for you right?

Example 3) ( Personal experience As im still a newbie ) Dinner gathering. Suddenly friends say since you have a camera lets all take a picture...Picture came out Too dark, too bright, shutter too slow so blur and stuffs like that. By time adjust here and there. All gave up already!!
    1) use av mode, with iso set appropriately. base on scene, set the ev value according to type of metering used. best bet is spot, i always tend to use centre weighted.

2) same as 1. what is zoom? you mean focal length? zoom is a p&s concept, focal length conveys the idea of what "range" and "reach" you are using (or more accurately, perspective) better than some layman concept obtained by dividing max focal length of lens by min focal length.

3) dinner gathering indoors, this one either need high iso, open up aperture to minimise handshake, or you need to use flash to help add some light.

please note, there are 8000 ways to make sure you get the right exposure..

also, there is no *one correct setting*, it depends on what you want to achieve.

I use the program mode. Why do things over again when the camera you paid for, will do it for you?
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    I use the program mode. Why do things over again when the camera you paid for, will do it for you?
    Because cameras cannot read our minds (not yet) and therefore cannot know what the photographer has in mind. By adjusting the camera I avoid some 'guess work' by camera algorithms. Those algorithms might work for average scenery but when it comes to more special situations I prefer to replace 'guess work' by exact settings.

Hi Snappers,

I understand that most of the experience snappers here would probably be using M-mode for effect, sharpness, contrast etc.... But given the different combination of Shutter speed, ISO and Apperture, i would like to know the following on some occation where the target is moving and not posing for you.

Personnal conclusion from a niewbie)
    1) Its either the pros here look at the lighting only they know roughly what setting so 1 shot for trial and error and 2nd shot for the kill?

2) Take practise shot of the enviroment first and get the settings roughly correct and then wait for action?

3) Am out of answers so please let me know if there is a 3rd answer to this ?

Thanks alot

Personally, I meter for the scene first and get a rough idea on the settings required for the scene, then I adjust accordingly from there. Thus your reasoning #2 holds.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Usually for low light settings, i flip over to A mode to see what shutter speed the camera sets for the F stop i choose. then i go over to manual and bump it up a few notches to minimize camera shake, while tuning up EV. If i'm shooting with flash, set it to the correct angle ( based on experience here i'm afraid) and adjust power settings.

then after my first shot, i make more adjustment.

Well P mode is usually fine for candid shots, but if you wan to achieve certain effects, you'll need to visit A, P or M mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    Usually for low light settings, i flip over to A mode to see what shutter speed the camera sets for the F stop i choose. then i go over to manual and bump it up a few notches to minimize camera shake, while tuning up EV. If i'm shooting with flash, set it to the correct angle ( based on experience here i'm afraid) and adjust power settings.

then after my first shot, i make more adjustment.

Well P mode is usually fine for candid shots, but if you wan to achieve certain effects, you'll need to visit A, P or M mode.
    What you did in the first 2 sentences, you could do in A mode as well by adjusting the exposure compensation.
    You do know that playing with the EV compensation in M mode has no effect whatsoever to the exposure, except shift the 'zero' exposure point in your meter, right?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

please note, there are 8000 ways to make sure you get the right exposure..

also, there is no *one correct setting*, it depends on what you want to achieve.
    Bro,

Thanks alot for the advise on 1, 2 & 3 but for the above, you've got me there. Its the 8000 ways that im afraid and confused

But i do know that after sometime, quite a number of people will just use 5 ways out of the 8000 ways becuase in terms of IQ and probably being experience in the 5 ways they just stuck to them.

So am trying to explore as many ways as i can and choose the few ways to my liking...

( Correct me if i got the concept wrong hehe )

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    Cause it's more fun that way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast