Thread: Camera Control Pro 2 Alternatives

Default Camera Control Pro 2 Alternatives

Hi Nikonians,

Did a quick google on this and found alternatives to Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 (costs $360 according to Nikon's website)
    Tethered Shooting can now be free for Nikon users too!

For Windows users,
    DIY Photo Bits Camera Control 4.0

For Mac users,
    Icarus Camera Control
    SoFortBild

For the very rare Ubuntu/Linux users,
    gPhoto

Also, for the electronic engineers among us, here's the Ultimate Wireless Transmitter Alternative.
    PeteTether 1.1 - A Wireless Portable USB Tether
    Apparently, this under $100 DIY thingy outperforms Nikon's clunky WT-4a.

I'm gonna give SoFortBild a try tonight.
    So if you want to be cautious, stay tuned for an update.
    Last edited by kormmandos; 21st August 2009 at 05:29 PM.

Default Re: Camera Control Pro 2 Alternatives

Give the Eye-Fi cards a try; I just bought one and it works It completely replaces the WT-4A

Just installed SoFortBild and did a test run. Works pretty well!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Give the Eye-Fi cards a try; I just bought one and it works It completely replaces the WT-4A
    can share some details? which version did u try? what sort of setting and etc? i'm quite interested too but always put off by some of the problems reported here

I bought the most expensive Pro version cos I need RAW. No problems reported so far to me.

Not the fastest thing, but works for my aging D100

Quote Originally Posted by khaiseng View Post
    can share some details? which version did u try? what sort of setting and etc? i'm quite interested too but always put off by some of the problems reported here

Tried, and cannot work. Interface looks prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by kormmandos View Post

Hi, is there one for CF card?

Would a card adapter work?

Does the Eye-Fi cards work well with CCP2?

vince, could you share where to get it?
    No signature ... A lot of things need to learn ...

For tethered shooting, windows users can also try the free DCamCapture

for the paying crowd, there is also Capture One 4 PRO, which is an outstanding RAW conversion program as well

More about the Eye-Fi can be found at http://www.eye.fi/ ; you need a SD to CF adapter and you can get all of these from Adorama.com. It does not work like the normal tethered shooting wher the pics display as you shoot them, what it does is to wirelessly transfer your files as you shoot them.

Blog Entries

another one to keep an eye out for. currently only for canon.
    http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=38

according to Scott Kelby's website, this app for nikon is up for approval by apple. lets hope it is approved for sale soon.
    When did ignorance become a point of view?- Dilbert

More about the Eye-Fi can be found at http://www.eye.fi/ ; you need a SD to CF adapter and you can get all of these from Adorama.com. It does not work like the normal tethered shooting wher the pics display as you shoot them, what it does is to wirelessly transfer your files as you shoot them.
    anyone knows of a software (for nikon) which monitors a folder, displays the latest pic added to the folder? i was at a wedding earlier this year, the photographer was using a canon with a wireless transmiter and he had the last taken photo played on the screen. think its part of the digital photo professional for canon. i'm still trying to look for something similiar

anyone knows of a software (for nikon) which monitors a folder, displays the latest pic added to the folder? i was at a wedding earlier this year, the photographer was using a canon with a wireless transmiter and he had the last taken photo played on the screen. think its part of the digital photo professional for canon. i'm still trying to look for something similiar
    Read the first post of this thread

hu cutecdo,

don't quite understand what you mean. Tried the camera control 3.1, it support USB tethering but personally i prefer Dcamcapture and it works better with D80 which i'm using.

I guess i will just need the viewer for preview in the nikon camera control program. i was hoping someone has a better solution

used DIY Photo Bits Camera Control 4.0

seems to have a very non user friendly interface and also, running script errors keep popping up when i am tethering it.

Lightroom 2.0 also can tether, but their method of tether is using the camera software to capture the image to a folder and light auto imports from that folder everytime it detects a new image.
    Craptacular! More Craptacular : D80 + MB-D80 + 18mm - 135mm + 50mm F1.4

hu cutecdo,

don't quite understand what you mean. Tried the camera control 3.1, it support USB tethering but personally i prefer Dcamcapture and it works better with D80 which i'm using.

I guess i will just need the viewer for preview in the nikon camera control program. i was hoping someone has a better solution

Adobe Lightroom would do fine in this case. Nikon camera control pro don't show you the latest pic taken? Thats weird.

Besides the point, what better solution are you still looking for when you are already using Nikon's Camera control pro?