Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

  1. #1

    Default Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Hi Snappers,

    Am currently using a 500D and very new to it.... also i have now in my lens collection a 18-55 kit lens, 55-250, and a 50mm F1.8 and i currently looking at Macro. I will not really go into shooting macro per say so i was thinking of not needing to invest in a Macro lens ( Unless someone tried and tells me the IQ is a hugh difference... ) so a few question from a newbie like me and here goes.

    1) I seen alot of people selling the DCR 250 and they are being snapped up pretty fast and usually before i can react . Till i stumbled upon the website selling the 150 and the 250 as a set. Would like to know if 2 is better then 1 when used together? I dun think anyone would just use the 150 right?

    2) Can i use the DCR on all the 3 types of lens that i currently own?

    3) I heard that you can invert the lens and use them to have a better macro? if yes, given the above option of using both lens together can i still do that?
    ( Not that interested as i said im not that into taking the insect's eye balls but just curious on whether it can be done just in case i see something crawing past....???? Oh you guys know newbies... They shoot everything without knowing why sometimes )

    Thanks alot in advance and with the advise, i can consider whether to go ahead and purchase it or not

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Interesting thread! I am having the same questions also....found that DCR250 quite good and cheap, but just wonder its limitation and cons as compared to a macro lens..

    hopefully experts here can clear our doubts....

  3. #3

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham View Post
    Interesting thread! I am having the same questions also....found that DCR250 quite good and cheap, but just wonder its limitation and cons as compared to a macro lens..

    hopefully experts here can clear our doubts....
    Hahahah Just when i thought the DCR250 was quite ok can go for it, I stumbled upon one that has both.... So now confused!!!!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Hi Snappers,

    Understand now that the DCR150 and DCR250 set is under the model 2000A. Stumbled upon a 3500A set..... Any one has experience?

    Thanks alot

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    nobody willing to share their experience or knowledge in this thread? I think most of us are interested to know more about macro photography....

    It would be great if we can learn more about macro lens vs lens+converter...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore (West)
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Hi guys, I'm a Raynox DCR250 user. Great piece of equipment. Check with the distributor for Singapore. Jim Mcgill. He will be able to answer your queries.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore (West)
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Hi guys, I'm a Raynox DCR250 user. Great piece of equipment. Check with the distributor for Singapore. Jim Mcgill. He will be able to answer your queries.
    Opps sorry forgot the link. Here goes http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/

    Best if used at manual focusing with a small aperture.

    Jim and his team should be able to advise the rest.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Hi guys, I'm newbie trying out macro as well. I'm using DCR250 on 500D and the same kind of lens conkeychua has. I feel if you have more budget, should go for the CM2000A (the combination set - I think about $100 difference) I should have got the set that time as I've seen shot taken with it are more clearer in details. I don't know what flash you have but for me, I used pop-up flash and it quite difficult to control, the effect is not good. So this is something you may need to think about as well. Just my opinion...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by CKCHNG View Post
    Hi guys, I'm newbie trying out macro as well. I'm using DCR250 on 500D and the same kind of lens conkeychua has. I feel if you have more budget, should go for the CM2000A (the combination set - I think about $100 difference) I should have got the set that time as I've seen shot taken with it are more clearer in details. I don't know what flash you have but for me, I used pop-up flash and it quite difficult to control, the effect is not good. So this is something you may need to think about as well. Just my opinion...
    Hi CKCHNG, may i know whats the different between DCR250 and CM2000A (combination of DCR150 & DCR250)? How it is between than 1 set?

    Also, this CM2000A as good as macro lens like Canon 100mm f/2.8?

    How about the price for DCR250 & CMA2000A? i know that DCR250 is roughly around SGD130, so CMA2000A is SGD230?

    whats the difficulty you have when using this kind of converter? mind to share? appreciate that...

  10. #10
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    To add to the "confusion", there is the Raynox MSN-202, which is more than 3 times more powerful than DCR-250.

    It sells for $155, slightly more expensive than the DCR 250.

  11. #11
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    hello, I am not a pro so I will try to answer some of your questions as best as I can. I got my DCR-250 from Jim of McGill too. It has a universal lens adapter that can fit on lens with size 52 to 67 (please check your lens size). If you want better magnification, use your 55-200 lens. You have to manually adjust the cam/lens distance towards your subject to get a sharp focus and its advisable to use MF and a tripod. This I think is the hard part (well not really hard if u get used to it ).

    I've read that this macro conversion lens (or maybe closeup filters too) will produce decent macro; but if you want a 1:1 macro, better to get a dedicated macro lens which by the way is not cheap (gurus correct me if im wrong )

    If you have more questions, I suggest going to Macro subforum
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  12. #12
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    To add to the "confusion", there is the Raynox MSN-202, which is more than 3 times more powerful than DCR-250.

    It sells for $155, slightly more expensive than the DCR 250.
    and don't forget the MSN-505. sorry I don't know how many times it is powerful than DCR-250, but its definitely more powerful than MSN-202

    @ TS, if the size of your lens is more than 67, you can ask Jim for a bigger sized adapter.

    HTH
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  13. #13
    Member r0n1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wild Wild West
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham View Post
    How about the price for DCR250 & CMA2000A? i know that DCR250 is roughly around SGD130, so CMA2000A is SGD230?
    I got the DCR-250 for S$120.00. I purchased it last July 27. For the CMxxx or other queries, better to contact Jim. Here's their email: sales@mcgill.com.sg

    Disclaimer: I am not in anyway related to Mcgill Commercial House. Just sharing info
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by wallacetham View Post
    Hi CKCHNG, may i know whats the different between DCR250 and CM2000A (combination of DCR150 & DCR250)? How it is between than 1 set?

    Also, this CM2000A as good as macro lens like Canon 100mm f/2.8?

    How about the price for DCR250 & CMA2000A? i know that DCR250 is roughly around SGD130, so CMA2000A is SGD230?

    whats the difficulty you have when using this kind of converter? mind to share? appreciate that...
    The differnce is that CM2000A can give you more magnification by combining the 2 lens together. I suggest you check out the McGill website which has all the details info there. The price is also stated there. EF 100mm f2.8 will cost a few times more but of course, the IQ will be better, I think.

    You should also check the macro sub-folder in CS where you can find lots of photos using DCR or CMA, then you can compare.

    As for my experience, I found that I'm sometimes not sure if the universal adapter holding the converter lens is 100% centered to the Canon lens....only "aga-aga" sometimes. I'm not sure other Raynox user face this probelm or not. can anyone advice on this ?

    Besides that, what r0n1n said about the focusing is right - quite difficult - need a lot of practice.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    To add to the "confusion", there is the Raynox MSN-202, which is more than 3 times more powerful than DCR-250.

    It sells for $155, slightly more expensive than the DCR 250.
    I think the MSN-202 is more for p&s compact camera. If use on 500D, what the TS is using, I think there will be vignetting problem. I remember because this, I didn't choose it. This is just my understanding and please correct me if I'm wrong. Check out the website is the best..

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    When I use it with the kit 18-55 (58mm), I do not get vignetting or maybe a little. When trying the same with the 17-85 (67mm), vignetting is very apparent ... Didn't bother to try with a 70-300. OK, I guess but the 1st few shots made me realise that my son's toys are really not that clean ...
    Got mine from Mcgill also ...

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by CKCHNG View Post
    The differnce is that CM2000A can give you more magnification by combining the 2 lens together. I suggest you check out the McGill website which has all the details info there. The price is also stated there. EF 100mm f2.8 will cost a few times more but of course, the IQ will be better, I think.

    You should also check the macro sub-folder in CS where you can find lots of photos using DCR or CMA, then you can compare.

    As for my experience, I found that I'm sometimes not sure if the universal adapter holding the converter lens is 100% centered to the Canon lens....only "aga-aga" sometimes. I'm not sure other Raynox user face this probelm or not. can anyone advice on this ?

    Besides that, what r0n1n said about the focusing is right - quite difficult - need a lot of practice.
    thanks for sharing your experience...CMA2000A selling at $250...with more magnification....

    Just one thing, is it harder to focus when the lens attach on our normal lens?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Hi All,

    Thanks for all the Q&A here.

    Here is the advise to my own question

    Apprently i called Mc Gill and i think his name was Gill and he stated the following

    1) DCR 250 - Most commonly sold stand alone. Use it if you have a interest to take flowers and such

    2) DCR 150 - Usually come with the 2000A as a set with the DCR 250 included. Used for taking insects when its used alone.

    3) DCR150 + DCR250 is used when you want to take the body part of the insect with all the eyeballs and such.

    Conclusion, Usually people just purchase the DCR250 alone for a more general use but the dilemma here is that after you purchase the 250 and find that you would like to add on the 150, Mc Gill do not order stand alone DCR150 which means its either going to be more expensive or you gotta find someone who sells them on CS.

    So my take is choose wisely......

    Cheers!

  19. #19
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Since you said you're not really into macro yet, my suggestion is this.

    Get a close-up filter (+4 or +8) 1st and try with macro photography.
    If you really like it, then invest in a Raynox.

    I tried with close-up filter 1st then don't like macro, then I did not buy a Raynox.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Renox DCR150 and DCR250

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Since you said you're not really into macro yet, my suggestion is this.

    Get a close-up filter (+4 or +8) 1st and try with macro photography.
    If you really like it, then invest in a Raynox.

    I tried with close-up filter 1st then don't like macro, then I did not buy a Raynox.
    Hi Shaoken,

    That a good advise but would like to know on the following.

    1)For the close-up filter, is it just a filter?
    2)Roughly how much are they ?
    3)Do you have any brand to recommend?
    4)I would think they are not that comparible to the Raynox? Just something to test out your interest like you mentioned?

    For you macro test, what were you taking on when you decided that you did not fancy macro?

    Hehe.... Newbies are like little kids. You give them one answer or suggestion, they can come out with another 5 question from your answer.....

    Bear with me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •