Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Photo quality

  1. #1

    Default Photo quality

    I would like to know how people make their picture so silky? Like example the skin and stuff , looks silky and plasticky and its not HDR. Issit some settings on the cam or photoshop ?
    Tools of the Trade : Canon 50D // 24-70mm 2.8L

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Skin: most likely photoshop
    Water: Long-term exposure.
    Link an image as example, that's easier to comment.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Photo quality

    er , abit hard to find photos, cause cant post without permission righT?
    Tools of the Trade : Canon 50D // 24-70mm 2.8L

  4. #4
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by X-Slinger View Post
    er , abit hard to find photos, cause cant post without permission righT?
    u can post link to that pic but not posting the pic here directly.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Photo quality

    this is an example of silky . http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...innieWeili.jpg

    And there are some pics which are really really sharp , which the sharpness I can never achieve with taking with my cam . tried sharpening via DPP also cannot achieve. I will give a link later
    Tools of the Trade : Canon 50D // 24-70mm 2.8L

  6. #6

    Default Re: Photo quality

    There's lots of tutorials on the net teaching the smoothening of skin tones using Photoshop.

    Randomly searches brings out 2 good examples:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkPq_RgGHg

    http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...g/smooth-skin/


    For sharpening, try using Unsharp Mask in Photoshop.
    Last edited by HeiPiGu; 19th August 2009 at 11:14 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by X-Slinger View Post
    that is an example of overdone, overprocessed skin which has become plastic.

    take a look at professional work, there is presence of skin texture AND contour so that the person looks human.

    even if one takes this as "surrealistic" take, the nose has melted into the face.
    Last edited by night86mare; 19th August 2009 at 11:30 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    even if one takes this as "surrealistic" take, the nose has melted into the face.
    agree with your point! looks like those cartoon nose

  9. #9

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Sometimes the cartoon nose makes the model cutier ma Lol. Anyways I found how to sharpen the pic by alot compared to taking jpg and sharpen. Just take in raw and sharpen , never go wrong .
    Tools of the Trade : Canon 50D // 24-70mm 2.8L

  10. #10

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that is an example of overdone, overprocessed skin which has become plastic.

    take a look at professional work, there is presence of skin texture AND contour so that the person looks human.

    even if one takes this as "surrealistic" take, the nose has melted into the face.

    But it looks like this is the 'In' thing now with many PPed portraits.
    No signature ... A lot of things need to learn ...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by X-Slinger View Post
    this is an example of silky . http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...innieWeili.jpg

    And there are some pics which are really really sharp , which the sharpness I can never achieve with taking with my cam . tried sharpening via DPP also cannot achieve. I will give a link later
    this can be achieved using noise reduction s/w..in this case, too much

  12. #12

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by nonamesg View Post
    But it looks like this is the 'In' thing now with many PPed portraits.
    welcome to singapore.

  13. #13
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    this can be achieved using noise reduction s/w..in this case, too much
    wats with noise reduction and sharpening?

  14. #14
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by nonamesg View Post
    But it looks like this is the 'In' thing now with many PPed portraits.
    u should lead the pack and not be lead by. photographers should have a mind of his own not following what others is doing.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Photo quality

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    wats with noise reduction and sharpening?
    pictures taken with digital cameras will come with inherent noise or "stray electrical signals" and the image will tend to be a bit unsharp compared to film camera. This is a characteristic of the image sensor rather than any defects per se. We call these "defects" artifacts of digital images.

    a noise reduction s/w tries to remove this noise and at the same time increase the sharpness of the image to correct these digital artifacts. The s/w will allow you to dial in the degree of noise reduction or sharpness you want. What you saw in the picture you posted is a case of too much noise reduction resulting in loss of contrast and increased softness of the image, hence the nose "merged" with the face.

    You can check out s/w like Noise Ninja for more info.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •