Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I Hate Nikon

Deregistered

Default Re: Why I Hate Nikon

I think that sticky/ gooey grip is caused by heat. I remember my cousins car, some Hyundai Getz. She parks it in the sun most of the time under direct heat. Oh did i mention its black too. Well after about a year down the road all the plastics on the sides (where we usually rest our elbows) along with the door latch, all being made of plastics started getting really gooey and sticky. Till the extent, touching it would leave your fingers with some black residue. And fingerprints imprinted on thesurface . Well my guess is heat, wonder if your cameras have been exposed to much direct sunlight or kept somewhere with quite a fair bit of heat. I know how its like livin in a HDB, afternoon sun makes the house feel like a sauna, makes me wanna sleep

Quote Originally Posted by ztsen View Post

To recover part of the repair cost, you can perform magic shows with this camera.
    Last edited by Sion; 20th August 2009 at 11:23 AM.

Try talcum powder.

If you still love your camera, use the finest powder you can find. It will make your camera sensuous and smooth...
    http://www.slapiton.tv/acatalog/prad...der-100ml.html

If you still hate Nikon and it stained your prada pants, buy a cheap HK feet foot powder to kill the dam germs and make it usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zig Ziggler View Post
    btw how to remove the "stickiness" from the rubber-like material ?

And the best part is my D70 also start to have such symptom, not til sticky but you can feel it. So continue to be die hard? or only those high end model can really last?

Lucky nothing wrong to my 2 x F2.8 lens. If not really heavy damage.

Unhappy Nikonian.

I'm beginning to love the Kopitiam.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Try talcum powder.

If you still love your camera, use the finest powder you can find. It will make your camera sensuous and smooth...

If you still hate Nikon and it stained your prada pants, buy a cheap HK feet foot powder to kill the dam germs and make it usable.

Try talcum powder.

Or can try using a good quality bra with lots of padding type for camera support so that you can avoid touching the sticky rubber.

By the way this is a Canon trick. Don't know you can use it on a Nikon or not.

Talking Re: Why I Hate Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    isit????? i got a Sigma lens that is super sticky.......maybe i will go and check with those shop.

btw, i also hate Nikon, they got so many nice camera and lenses.....which always make me spend my hard earned money.........
    Nikon = Hate it but still canít resist! = Love!

Under ©onstruction!

Taken from a toy forum talking about PVC material, which I suspect could be the material use to make rubber grip ( PVC are easier to mold )

Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC)
    PVC is one of the most common plastics used in the world. Itís quite similar to rubber and the toughness/malleability of PVC is dependant on the plastisers added. More plastisers = more softness, since they straighten out neatly the long macromolecular polymer chains into neat rows. Some figure collectors complain of an oily film after a while and I would think this is due to the plasticisers migrating to the surface of the plastic. Small plasticiser molecules are pretty mobile and after a period of time, they accumulate on the surface to produce a oily crud.

This is also why PVC tends to get a bit crappy and brittle after a long time. Oh yeah these plasticisers are quite toxic too. And if you have a fire at home, dump your figurines at them to extinguish it, since the chlorine produced retards the flame. Btw, some plasticisers are thought to reduce the quality of MAN SPERM.

A very large percentage of the figures sold are made of PVC. From gashapon, trading figures to 1/6s, these are mainly PVCs. Cheap material cost, easy of moulding, ductility (it wonít break much, just bend) are the reasons why it is used.

Never leave them in the sun. Ultraviolet rays produce free radicals on PVC, chlorine free radicals, that combine to form chlorine gas and the material is decomposed. The sun also heats them up and PVC distorts at a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius. Being a thermoplastic, you can actually heat it up and bend it, then cool for it to maintain that shape.

PVC, due to the addition of chlorine atoms which have a pretty high molecular mass compared to C and H, is heavy for a plastic.
    So as mention by some previous posts, heat source and direct sunlight could be the cause of stickiness found on the rubber grip. Humidity actually expands the rubber which is why some of us would noticed that the rubber grip on our camera actually "pops" out of place. Hope this helps to explain why things gets sticky. Doesn't only happen to Nikon but I guess to every other brands as well.

@ Sion
    Bra technique =

The rubber on the exterior of my Digimate II ( portable backup HDD ) used to have this issue too. I used the eraser to try to remove the "stickiness" , but fail. After which i used the alcohol wipe ( from Guardian ) to clean off the sticky rubber coating, which works. The exterior is now bare. HDD working fine.

The wipe may work to remove the sticky rubber on your camera, but try it at ur own risk. If it works, maybe you can gaffer tape the bare exterior of your camera ?

After many years of supporting Nikon, finally come to a conclusion that why I hate Nikon.

I have used Nikon from F80 to D70. Thinking of getting a D700 but no longer in my buying list. Nikon camera don't last. I still can recall my F80 metering system faulty and cost SGD200+ to repair. Now after long time didn't use since I bought D70, the rubber material became sticky or start to melt. My camera is free from fungus and all the while I put in dry box, sayang like baby.

Let's come and see what My F80 can do now:

Stunning right, our Nikon center said can be repair, another cost as below:

F80
    CAMERA BACK LOCK RELEASE COVER - $5
    GRIP COVER - $9
    BACK DOOR UNIT (Normal) - $45
    EXTERNAL BACK DOOR BODY (with bottom 1 button) - $18
    EXTERNAL BACK DOOR BODY (with bottom 2 button) - $18
    General Servicing - $80
    Total charges for F80 rubbers - $168 inclusive of GST.

I was thinking this film camera next time can show my children how papa take photo last time without advance technology. You can see when I try to clean up, the rubber stain all around the back.

And the best part is my D70 also start to have such symptom, not til sticky but you can feel it. So continue to be die hard? or only those high end model can really last?

Lucky nothing wrong to my 2 x F2.8 lens. If not really heavy damage.

Unhappy Nikonian.
    You want to know why it's sticky? Because, you failed to do proper cleaning after each shoot. The stickness, is a very simple problem, caused by sweat. Sweat has bacteria in it, and after sometime it will ferment. That causes the stickness. You don't have to change the parts just to remove the "sticky" feeling. I can clean up the whole thing for you and remove the stickyness. Just pay me a nominal fee would do. Contact me via PM if you are interested. My old SLR's which i bought from B&S all had this problem. I cleaned up using my method and it's all nice and back to original.

Simple solution friend. Don't make it sound like Nikon is bad. It goes for every other thing in the world. You can have the best, but without proper care or cleaning, at the end of the day it will still end up the same as the rest.

Take care.

GMAN

Im thinking it's dry rot. Happens to rubbers and those soft plastics. I remember having those spongy foam in those tamiya briefcase. Had it in my closet for years and when i finally took it out to look-see, the foam practically turned to sticky dust when i touched it. Same fate happened to my 300D rubber grip. All gooey and sticky. Can't even use soap and remove it frm my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by yao86 View Post
    Arm....

I don't think it is the effect by the low humidity.

I think it maybe affected by your Sweat and Oil on your face and age also!

Maybe lor!
    Dirt, sweat and body 'oil' are what bacteria feeds on. These bacteria leaves behind acidic by product which i think is the main agent to corrode the polymeric material on camera.

Good thread! Now that you reminded me that i hate nikon as well, i also want to express that i hate many other things...

I hate my PC which after using for 5 years, does not do its job properly ever after.
    I hate my phone which stores 10,000 contacts but refuses to store 1 additional one.
    I hate my tripod which holds my camera safely and steadily but weights 15 KG.
    I hate driving on the roads because there is this machine that makes my in-car-unit goes beep and $1 goes missing...

Thanks for reminding me that i... too hate Nikon...
    'Nothing to brag about, we are only as good as our next picture!'

OMG, I look high and low for the thread, now moved to kopitiam.
    Nikon section only for people who loves Nikon is it, cannot show them bad about Nikon. Nikon sponsored forum?
    Throw to Kopitiam to show just a kopi talk cok topic. daxn. Not even a nice message to inform me its move with reason.
    The body of the camera not part of the Nikon equipment discussion?
    Last edited by ztsen; 22nd August 2009 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    The rubber on the exterior of my Digimate II ( portable backup HDD ) used to have this issue too. I used the eraser to try to remove the "stickiness" , but fail. After which i used the alcohol wipe ( from Guardian ) to clean off the sticky rubber coating, which works. The exterior is now bare. HDD working fine.

The wipe may work to remove the sticky rubber on your camera, but try it at ur own risk. If it works, maybe you can gaffer tape the bare exterior of your camera ?
    Alcohol wipe from Guardian? how much is that?

I tried ArmorAll cleaning wipe but not much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    Dirt, sweat and body 'oil' are what bacteria feeds on. These bacteria leaves behind acidic by product which i think is the main agent to corrode the polymeric material on camera.
    i clean it everytime after I used but of coz not sterilize.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BaneMKII View Post
    Im thinking it's dry rot. Happens to rubbers and those soft plastics. I remember having those spongy foam in those tamiya briefcase. Had it in my closet for years and when i finally took it out to look-see, the foam practically turned to sticky dust when i touched it. Same fate happened to my 300D rubber grip. All gooey and sticky. Can't even use soap and remove it frm my fingers.
    Anyone can come out idea how to maintain the rubber?

Try talcum powder.

again. daxn. why this thread in kopitiam, people is making joke out of it. ><

So far, my F80 got no problem and still running strong and it's going to 7 year old

Perhaps it depend on luck or how you use it? I only use digital about a year +

nothing can last forever, btw.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

again. daxn. why this thread in kopitiam, people is making joke out of it. ><
    Dear daxn, this is not a joke. what i recommended was a valid suggestion. That is, if you bother to plough though similar topics over the past 3years.

Quote Originally Posted by hacknet View Post
    oh gosh, what do you expect man, you want a camera that lasts and cost nothing to repair. If you really want a never-say-die body, you shouldnt have got the f80 in the first place, there are many brilliant models that nikon made that work great till today. Try the FM2 or the F5.

Regarding the cost nothing to repair, i dont think you'll find anything any time soon, so just continue hating nikon...
    it's his choice. but again. i dun like the way nikon is moving well. to TS my FM stil working. it;s electronics i dun trust :P
    picture perfect

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123