Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More focus points, good or bad?

Default Re: More focus points, good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Yeah... now that you both mention it. I found that to be the case for my 50mm f/1.4 too.
    One of the experienced photog ever pointed out that to me. But it really took me some time to realise my own stubborn-ess.
    And that is why nowadays when I use lenses wide open, I tend to keep scrolling through the AF points to off centre.
    But when I do this, what problem do I get? I realise that the Spot metering or Partial metering becomes inaccurate because my subject is focused off-centre, but the centre of the VF is metering another spot away from the subject...
    There are several ways around this.

If your body offers you the option to link spot metering to a particular AF point, problem easily solved. If not, you would have to get into the various options offered to lock exposure.

or develope the ability to do auto exposure metering using ur eyes.
    if i'm not wrong, most of the more experienced photogs (esp wedding ones) here have that ability already.
    accurate to +/- 1 stop. =D
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post

If your body offers you the option to link spot metering to a particular AF point, problem easily solved. If not, you would have to get into the various options offered to lock exposure.
    I really liked that feature on my 1DII. I miss it.

My camera body... I don't think have this option. As CalebK said, it seems that the 1DMkII has it. Well... just got to live with it lor.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    or develope the ability to do auto exposure metering using ur eyes.
    if i'm not wrong, most of the more experienced photogs (esp wedding ones) here have that ability already.
    accurate to +/- 1 stop. =D
    Hahaha... wah lau. Becomes like second nature already yah.
    Well, give me the necessary amount of time. Maybe one day before I depart this world, I may finally attain the special ability. Lolxxx....

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I really liked that feature on my 1DII. I miss it.
    Awww ... HUG HUG!

My camera body... I don't think have this option. As CalebK said, it seems that the 1DMkII has it. Well... just got to live with it lor.

Hahaha... wah lau. Becomes like second nature already yah.
    Well, give me the necessary amount of time. Maybe one day before I depart this world, I may finally attain the special ability. Lolxxx....
    These kind of things are macam not a god-sent gift. Most togs put in a lot of effort to LEARN it and how to apply.

Can be trained lah ... think of it this way, learn to identify ONE important reference. For convenience, let's say you choose 18% grey. Once you learn to establish that reference, everything becomes easier. I used to walk around with a spot meter all day, just taking random readings to try and learn how to 'see' light values. After awhile can learn to quickly spot 18% grey. From there, you will be able to easily identify other EVs, and with that knowledge, apply it under different lighting conditions and know quite instinctively how much you need to go over or under to get your main subject the way you want. Anyway, I just say only hor. I out of practice long long oredi.

These kind of things are macam not a god-sent gift. Most togs put in a lot of effort to LEARN it and how to apply.

Can be trained lah ... think of it this way, learn to identify ONE important reference. For convenience, let's say you choose 18% grey. Once you learn to establish that reference, everything becomes easier. I used to walk around with a spot meter all day, just taking random readings to try and learn how to 'see' light values. After awhile can learn to quickly spot 18% grey. From there, you will be able to easily identify other EVs, and with that knowledge, apply it under different lighting conditions and know quite instinctively how much you need to go over or under to get your main subject the way you want. Anyway, I just say only hor. I out of practice long long oredi.
    No no no... you are modest.
    You are very right. It's like driving a car. Drive and drive .. and keep driving and driving. Until one day we can aga aga know if the driver in front wants to turn left or turn right. It becomes intuitive.

No no no... you are modest.
    You are very right. It's like driving a car. Drive and drive .. and keep driving and driving. Until one day we can aga aga know if the driver in front wants to turn left or turn right. It becomes intuitive.
    Not modest. Is true. Out of practice liao.

But you're totally right - with loads of constant practice, can master one.

i think for macro works then 51 points comes in handy... i got 11 points for my camera body now... now matter what i take it would be sufficient... but when taking macro, i do crave for some extra few points...

for macro works, please forget about focus and recompose... the DOF is painfully thin even at f8... i did a few 100% off focus shots with that method...

they should have manual focus with the AF-points lighting up accordingly as you turn the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    I have not extensively use a system with a lot of AF points like 1D/1Ds but I don't see how it can be a full benefit (for me at least) unless it's all closely clustered. Cuz, am thinking if it's too sparse, wouldn't there be a chance of it focusing on wrong subject / place during AI Servo (i.e. AF-C) causing the intended subject to be off-focus?

Perhaps for me, what I prefer is just accuracy and speed of AF than points...
    I think the beauty of having 51-AF points (or 45-AF points on 1D/ 1Ds) is the accuracy it gives whenever you need to track objects within the frame (in AI Servo mode).

The other thing I found useful is that for the 1D series (and other higher-end camera bodies I reckon) is that there are seven - instead of one - AF points with cross-hair sensors which makes AF more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyTT View Post
    I think the beauty of having 51-AF points (or 45-AF points on 1D/ 1Ds) is the accuracy it gives whenever you need to track objects within the frame (in AI Servo mode).

The other thing I found useful is that for the 1D series (and other higher-end camera bodies I reckon) is that there are seven - instead of one - AF points with cross-hair sensors which makes AF more accurate.

theres actually 19 cross points on the Mk3s.

7 is the Mk2s. 15 on the Nikon AF.

Those who want it but dont have it - says its good
    Those who want it and use it often - says its fantastic
    Those who want it and dont use it - says its gd to have
    Those who dont want it but have it - says nothing much
    Those who dont want it and dont have it - can say anything they want but dont make sense because they dont know what they are missing...
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12