Thread: Use of wide aperture (f2.8) on a UWA lens

Default Use of wide aperture (f2.8) on a UWA lens

Hi there,

I have a newbie question on the use of the wide aperture of f2.8 on a UWA lens such as the Tokina 11-16mm. It seems that this would be useful in low light conditions but my noob question would be that given the low DOF at f2.8, would that not throw a lot of the picture out of focus? The other use I can think of is when you want to draw the viewer's attention to a particular object or area in your picture.

How would the fellow users utilize the wide aperture on a UWA lens (regardless of whether if it is low light or generally)? If you have got any great samples on how, it would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Use of wide aperture (f2.8) on a UWA lens

Quote Originally Posted by aspri View Post
    Hi there,

I have a newbie question on the use of the wide aperture of f2.8 on a UWA lens such as the Tokina 11-16mm. It seems that this would be useful in low light conditions but my noob question would be that given the low DOF at f2.8, would that not throw a lot of the picture out of focus? The other use I can think of is when you want to draw the viewer's attention to a particular object or area in your picture.

How would the fellow users utilize the wide aperture on a UWA lens (regardless of whether if it is low light or generally)? If you have got any great samples on how, it would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance!
    Well actually when I use a wide angle, it is essentially for landscape or interior. My point of focus would be either near inifinity or far away enough for the DOF to be extended to almost infinity.
    Therefore the problem of shallow DOF will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Well actually when I use a wide angle, it is essentially for landscape or interior. My point of focus would be either near inifinity or far away enough for the DOF to be extended to almost infinity.
    Therefore the problem of shallow DOF will not occur.
    yes it would still occur... but won't put all the out of focus area into sweet buttery bokeh like those 50mm or 85mm lenses... if you focus to infinity, those things in front (nearer to lens) would be out of focus i.e. much less sharp...

i would say the f/2.8 is quite very useful in museums or some really tight spaces, but still, thin DOF might ask you to stop down... for UWA portraits it's way sharp too... and you could do it with the subjects 6 inches in front of your lens...

dof is going to be very different, but if you focus close, you still can throw bg out of focus.

remember, dof depends on 3 factors:

1) aperture size
    2) focal length
    3) subject distance to background distance

in general, f/2.8 at 10 or 11mm is going to still render most of scene in focus.. but if you manipulate 3, you still can throw everything else out of focus.

personally, it is my view that most wide scenes are suited for tripod use, i.e. motion is not a problem , you don't want to freeze it. therefore, since it is most primarily a landscape lens, and you want details, f/2.8 is not even a consideration when it comes to uwa for me.

you should think whether it is the same for you.

the only exception i can think of where f/2.8 may be a boon for this sort of usage is indoor architecture interiors.. where you are NOT allowed to use tripod.

Thanks guys for the quick back to basics lessons on DOF. I forgot that a short focal length has a big DOF! Therefore, coupled with a wide aperture, it's perfect for low light situations without sacrificing DOF!

Well... try shooting some subjects up close near the minimum focusing distance. You'll still get the bokeh.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site