Thread: Buying & Using Imported Film Stock

Default Buying & Using Imported Film Stock

Morning All,

This morning I decided to take a look at the current local and mail-order pricing for some Fuji Reala 35mm (36 exp.) film. Wolf camera (local) wants $5.99/roll, while B&H has pricing for USA and Imported stocks, $4.95/roll & $2.69/roll respectively.

I was wondering if anyone has tested on Import stocks with their USA-manufactured stocks, and whether any testing for mail-order vs. local comparisons have be conducted.

While the attractiveness of pricing is there (two-for-one scenario), I always have some reservations. The same would be for other films (NPS, etc.).

One problem about asking this question in this forum....we are not based in the US.

Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by 5th

Now that's funny!
    It seems we have a live one here

This forum though global in reach is actually centered on the Asia region, in particular Singapore where the forum administration and owners live.

After all some 78% of the worlds total internet users, 96% of the worlds population and around 99.9% of ClubSnap's members don't live in the USA.

Anyway with that said I can answer your question regarding film.

Most US film that's made for the US market from the likes of Fuji and Kodak is pretty much standard world wide, with the notable exception of the Japanese market (Fuji) which has some local varience. Agfa on the other hand definately localise their film stock to deal with the average lighting conditions encountered in a given market as there's noticable differences in hue between the European, US and Asian stock.

My suggestion is to order a few rolls as a sampler and try it and see what differences you can or can't notice.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 26th December 2003 at 10:56 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!