Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend me a Desktop PC - Windows

Default Re: Recommend me a Desktop PC - Windows

wah... XPS prices are quite steep eh?

Most of the recommendations on this thread sound like overkill....
    My desktop is WAY less powerful than anything listed here.
    My photo-editing software works fine without any glitches or bottlenecks. Of course I'm not a professional photog with hundreds or thousands of photos to edit (heavily).
    Exploring! :)

kekeke
    http://lian-li.com/v2/en/contact_us/index1.php

yeah but as zerocool said its a bit overkill. core2quad and a 4850/9800gtx is good enuff, prob save you around $300-$500.

my system is even lower-specced than THAT.

lol... mine too sorta.. what specs do you have? anyways low specs doesn't mean you cant run photoshop, just means processing will be slower. for i7 system price to performance ratio is really poor.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Is the 500 GB hard drive 5400 or 7200 rpm?
    The difference is just the heat, in terms of performance for normal users it's rather at esoteric level.

Get rid of Windows Vista, just sucking resources. Windows 7 runs like a charm. Don't forget 64bit version even if you start with less than 4GB RAM. Better to have it before you need to re-install everything just because of RAM upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgreg View Post
    lol... mine too sorta.. what specs do you have? anyways low specs doesn't mean you cant run photoshop, just means processing will be slower. for i7 system price to performance ratio is really poor.
    Mine only Core2Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB Video w/DVI out, 320GB HDD, DVD writer.
    Very basic. DIY from SimLim at around $450 for the chassis.
    Runs perfectly fine. Boots up Win XP Pro completely in 35s from the time I push the power button.

Well, like I said, I'm not a professional with serious workflow of hundreds of images.

Just to chip in a little. You can consider saving on the processor and graphic card as you don't really need the latest and greatest if all you want is image processing. Use that money saved to get another similar harddisk and run it in RAID 0 or even better more to run RAID 0+1 for peace of mind. Another option is the get the 10K HDD or even SSD.

Also you should hold back in purchasing vista and just wait for windows 7 in october. Meanwhile just download the try out version from MS.

As for whether to go full 64bit, i think it'll still take years before all software starts to use true 64bit. Alot of software now still need to run in 32bit compatibility mode. Even Snow Leopard defaults to 32bit still from what i read.
    Last edited by sadwitch; 20th August 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadwitch View Post
    Just to chip in a little. You can consider saving on the processor and graphic card as you don't really need the latest and greatest if all you want is image processing. Use that money saved to get another similar harddisk and run it in RAID 0 or even better more to run RAID 0+1 for peace of mind. Another option is the get the 10K HDD or even SSD.

Also you should hold back in purchasing vista and just wait for windows 7 in october. Meanwhile just download the try out version from MS.

As for whether to go full 64bit, i think it'll still take years before all software starts to use true 64bit. Alot of software now still need to run in 32bit compatibility mode. Even Snow Leopard defaults to 32bit still from what i read.
    Photoshop CS4 64-bit for windows is a full blown 64-bit app. You do get the benefit of using 4+ GB of Ram on Vista or XP 64-bit.

Oh, Raid 0 is just for slightly improved performance, but no fault tolerance or redundancy.

64bit is definitely worthwhile cuz of the extra ram you can use esp since vista takes up like 1 Gb. 10K Hdd is not. stick to a 7200rpm or 5400rpm Hdd. yeah Raid 0 is also wasting time. youre actually increasing your risk of data corruption lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    which bug? everything is fine so far here with gtx295 + 2 monitors.
    Really? For me the colours don't match. One guy on the adobe forum with the same problem as me got it working once he turned GPU acceleration off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Photoshop CS4 64-bit for windows is a full blown 64-bit app. You do get the benefit of using 4+ GB of Ram on Vista or XP 64-bit.

Oh, Raid 0 is just for slightly improved performance, but no fault tolerance or redundancy.
    That's right but only if TS is gonna use Photoshop CS4. No doubt about the benefit of addressing more than 4GB of ram with 64bit OS.

As for RAID 0, its actually recommended on adobe website for performance boost if running ps. Best if can run RAID 0+1 for additional peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sadwitch View Post
    That's right but only if TS is gonna use Photoshop CS4. No doubt about the benefit of addressing more than 4GB of ram with 64bit OS.

As for RAID 0, its actually recommended on adobe website for performance boost if running ps. Best if can run RAID 0+1 for additional peace of mind.
    Vista x64 or Win7 x64 is able to run most 32bit applications without any problems. There is no benefit in using the 32bit versions of either OS now. Since this is a new build, all the hardware will be supported.

Don't know about the article on Adobe site, but, RAID0 should only be used for your temp files and swap files. NEVER for anything else as anytime 1 HDD dies, everything is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by robotech View Post
    Vista x64 or Win7 x64 is able to run most 32bit applications without any problems. There is no benefit in using the 32bit versions of either OS now. Since this is a new build, all the hardware will be supported.

Don't know about the article on Adobe site, but, RAID0 should only be used for your temp files and swap files. NEVER for anything else as anytime 1 HDD dies, everything is gone.
    From wikipedia,

"RAID 0+1: striped sets in a mirrored set (minimum four disks; even number of disks) provides fault tolerance and improved performance but increases complexity. The key difference from RAID 1+0 is that RAID 0+1 creates a second striped set to mirror a primary striped set. The array continues to operate with one or more drives failed in the same mirror set, but if drives fail on both sides of the mirror the data on the RAID system is lost. "

"RAID 1+0: mirrored sets in a striped set (minimum four disks; even number of disks) provides fault tolerance and improved performance but increases complexity. The key difference from RAID 0+1 is that RAID 1+0 creates a striped set from a series of mirrored drives. In a failed disk situation, RAID 1+0 performs better because all the remaining disks continue to be used. The array can sustain multiple drive losses so long as no mirror loses all its drives. "

For the TS, hybrid raid may be a little much and requires at least 4 HDs... making this rather more complex. Raid by iteslf, is not a backup solution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123