Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best lens for wedding..

Default Re: best lens for wedding..

i think neighboring 3-4 tables also can join lor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    you wanna use 11-16 and get the next table in the photo as well??

for table shot a 35mm on FF is sufficient.
    well at least tat's wat i use...
    Quote Originally Posted by papaho View Post
    Understood.. thanks for clearing up. I some how did not think that 17mm is wide enough.

Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    17-55mm or 16-35mm L.
    You wouldnt go wrong with either one.

On a tighter budget?
    17-50mm tamron.

450D is fine.

Usually for weddings, experiences and guts play a major role too.
    The usual question....are you up to it..even if you have the best body+lens.
    Think this advice is already spot on. Suggests both $$$ and ~$~ budget as well.
    Get a flash as well. IMHO, it will prove its worth and save your ass more than any whizz bang f1.2 lens.

I usually use two body so that I don't have to change lens. 40D | EFS 17-55 | EX 580 as primary and 30D | EF50mm 1.4 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 as secondary. Somtime I use film camera as a second for artistic effect... Primary camera as recording the event and secondary camera for artistic purpose... or just in case the main camera fail. most of the time is the meno card take a bit too long to read and jam up the main camera. This is what I experience with digital camera so far.

this is how I operate... well, different photographers got different preference.
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Verticoastro View Post
    I usually use two body so that I don't have to change lens. 40D | EFS 17-55 | EX 580 as primary and 30D | EF50mm 1.4 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 as secondary. Somtime I use film camera as a second for artistic effect... Primary camera as recording the event and secondary camera for artistic purpose... or just in case the main camera fail. most of the time is the meno card take a bit too long to read and jam up the main camera. This is what I experience with digital camera so far.

this is how I operate... well, different photographers got different preference.
    Yeah having 2 bodies is good in a sense you wouldn't miss precious or classic moments in a wedding, recently helped shoot a church wedding 2 weeks ago, Carried my 5D2 and a 24-70 mounted to it, and borrowed my mates 40D with a 85mm 1.8 which proved to be very handy and useful at certain time constraints

Quote Originally Posted by SYLBORN View Post
    pls advice on selecting right lens for wedding....im using canon 450d
    is it good enough for wedding shoot? there'll be a big family photo session too.
    need your kind help here....thanks.
    the 17-40 F4 by canon is quite decent lens

To me on my 50D:

17-40mm F4L cover groups and general shoots

50mm F1.4 for close up.

70-200mm F2.8L for long range and stage shoots.

Like some senior mentioned, if you have 2 bodies the best don't need keep changing lens. If not is ok also, try your best captured the best moment!

Happy shooting!

Thanks alot guys !!
    Let me come back with my work.........
    thanks again...

cheers !!!

A wideangle lens isn't really that good for event photography imo. If you're taking a group shot, it's better off to just take a few step backwards.

Not only do you get to avoid dealing with the lens distortion, the image would usually be sharper in the corners, and since you're trying to "capture it all", IQ would matter. And changing lens to boot.

Another issue is that wide angle lens are not meant to "capture more". usually i find that it's for isolating the subject, and creating a larger sense of depth. Good for creative work.
    Since the middle of the lens is the sharpest and most used part, if you shoot with a wide angle, you'll need to crop the edges, which defeats the purpose of the lens.

Here's an example of what you can do with a wide angle, it draws the focus of the viewer to the middle.

There's tons of wasted space in this shot, and the lazy flash work btw =X.

Anyway yeah back to the point, wide angle lens have their own specific uses. (my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Complex13717421 View Post
    A wideangle lens isn't really that good for event photography imo. If you're taking a group shot, it's better off to just take a few step backwards.

Not only do you get to avoid dealing with the lens distortion, the image would usually be sharper in the corners, and since you're trying to "capture it all", IQ would matter. And changing lens to boot.

Another issue is that wide angle lens are not meant to "capture more". usually i find that it's for isolating the subject, and creating a larger sense of depth. Good for creative work.
    Since the middle of the lens is the sharpest and most used part, if you shoot with a wide angle, you'll need to crop the edges, which defeats the purpose of the lens.

Here's an example of what you can do with a wide angle, it draws the focus of the viewer to the middle.

Anyway yeah back to the point, wide angle lens have their own specific uses. (my opinion)

wow.. well write up ... thanks!

What if you can't step back anymore?

While stepping back and using a longer focal length does mean you have less wide angle distortion, there are just some times when you can't step back.

I think the point that corner sharpness is lower in wide angle lenses is subjective. My lenses are plenty sharp for what I do, and of course, you can always stop down for better performance. I've used lenses as wide as 10mm on APS-C, and 16mm on Full-frame for events shoots, and they do have their place in my photography. Perhaps you cannot find a comfortable use for it.

I agree, but again, I won't say they are totally not meant to capture more, but rather, can be used to capture more, or in isolating subjects. Their scope of use is only limited by the photographer.

I disagree that you have to crop the edges. The examples you see later are all uncropped.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/...174919ca_b.jpg

Honestly, I think the image you've given is a poor example of what wide angle lenses can be used for in event photography. It does not draw the viewer to the middle; it draws the viewer to the slipper and the girl's foot.

I've shot some unorthodox portraiture and also shot events with wide angle lenses. The examples you see here hopefully will show you how you can use the added space and depth to bring out context within your image. Like Complex said, there is a lot of space, but the photographer determines whether this space is wasted or put to good use.

Shot during one of Fairfield's events; some of the students were playing Captain's Ball after the event, and while we normally use tele focal lengths to shoot sports, I thought this would be something different.

Not ideal conditions for a portrait, but it had to be done. Would have liked more backlighting.

IMO, if you are covering the actually day, (may difficult to change) use EFS 17-55, with a flash.

If you fast enough to change lens, take a UWA or a Tele with you, depends your shooting style.

Lol... don't be mean..

Hmm... I think you'd really have to do alot more reading up and practice alot more, if you're intending to cover a wedding in the near future... No offence, but seems to me you're quite unfamiliar with quite alot of aspects of photography in general..

Do purchase a few good magazines every now and then. There's alot of material good for learning and it's a good read all in all.
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by SYLBORN View Post
    pls advice on selecting right lens for wedding....im using canon 450d
    is it good enough for wedding shoot? there'll be a big family photo session too.
    need your kind help here....thanks.
    Yes. it is enough, but the skill of a cameraman is very important too...
    LIFE IS GOOD!:-0

1 book good enough.

THE KODAK BOOK OF PHOTOGRAPHY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12